It never fails. As soon as the third week of December hits, my family is hovering around my blender, asking for some kind of booster – either a blender juice to help a cold, or a smoothie for weight control (uh oh, how many cookies DID I eat this week?), or one of these two smoothies – both are one-size-fits-most-ailments smoothies because of their strong anti-inflammatory abilities. Inflammation is increasingly being blamed for most ailments, even a down-cast mood. And an added benefit of both of these smoothies is their happiness potion. If Harry Potter were involved, these ingredients would have been in his happiness potion, I am sure.
So let me break these down for you..
The blue is made blue from blue matcha. But matcha is green, you say? Haha, well this one isn’t. It’s made blue from butterfly pea flowers – and both matcha and butterfly pea flowers contribute strong anti-inflammatory support. They also boost have a calming effect and heighten your concentration in case you have a few work or school assignments this week.
The pink here comes from Goji berries, a powder in this recipe.
These berries are considered a “happy” superfood because they are rich in B and C vitamins and also contain manganese and fiber – nutrients known to boost mood and energy. An NIH published study proves their mood boosting abilities here.
And traditional Chinese medicine has long used Goji berries to fight depression and other anxiety and mood disorders.
Both smoothies also contain Ashwagandha root powder, and brewed chamomile tea – both of which are pure magic when it comes to boosting the mood or calming the soul.
Even flaxseeds are known to support an upbeat mood so together, these smoothies are the perfect one-two punch for a lets-do-this day!.
Anti-Inflammatory & Mood Boosting Twin Smoothies (vegan, DF, GF)
- 1 1/2 cup hemp milk (or oat milk or your favorite plant milk)
- 1 cup zucchini (medium, organic, peeled, chopped, frozen) (or 1 banana but then eliminate the maple syrup)
- 1 cup apple (medium, organic, chopped)
- 1/2 cup chamomile tea (Earl Grey is also calming because of bergamot in the leaf mix but it has caffeine so I prefer chamomile)
- 2 tbsp flaxseeds, ground
- 1 tbsp ashwagandha powder
- Brew tea using 2 tea bags per cup for strength. I keep it in the refrigerator to add to my smoothies regularly.Prepare the zucchini and apple for the smoothie. Both need to be organic because they are on the "Dirty" list with the EWG.org
- Blend up the ingredients for the base smoothie in a high speed blender. Taste-test and add maple syrup if necessary to sweeten. I don't like my smoothies sweet at all so I start from there.
- If you don't have hemp milk, try almond or oat which are more readily available, although I provided you a link to my favorite hemp milk. We recently discovered hemp milk and it is truly life-changing.
- Divide base mixture in two and blend each separately with respective color ingredients, rinsing jar in between, to make one blue smoothie, and one pink one. Store both in frig for up to 2 days for freshness.
Dee Dine is founder of Green Smoothie Gourmet, a plant based recipe blog, and author of the recent cookbook, Crazy Healthy with 4 Ingredients . On this blog you’ll find incredibly easy recipes with hidden veggies for anyone wanting to eat healthier, regardless of diet. Dee has graduate degrees in immunological nutritional studies and journalism. More about Dee Dine here.