Hemp seeds are rich in protein – twice as much protein as is in flax or chia seeds – and they are full of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, fiber, and contain powerful anti-inflammatory properties that help metabolize fat and repair muscles, especially after exercise.
You can toss hemp hearts on a smoothie, cereal or nicecream, or you can make a creamy nutritious hemp milk to use in coffee, cereals and in desserts, as I did here.
Homemade plant milks are fairly easy to make, including almond, cashew and more, but I found hemp milk particularly easy. That’s because, unlike nut milks, you don’t need to pre-soak hemp seeds. Just blend them out of the package for a few minutes with water in a high-powered blender and you have hemp milk! You don’t really need to strain your hemp milk, but you can if you want a thinner version. See my exact recipe below, as well for the sundae!
Creamy base for Sundae
- 1 cup homemade hemp milk* (see easy homemade method below)
- 1/2 cup plant yogurt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla paste (I use this brand – expensive but vanilla is so important to so many recipes, and this is so flavorful, inserting a true vanilla accent and lasts so long, it is worth it.)
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1/2 dark chocolate bar, melted (86% cacao or higher) (I use this vegan brand)
- 2 tbsp hazelnut butter (your favorite brand or make it yourself!)
- 1/2 cup hemp hearts
Whipped Cream Topping
- 1/2 can chilled coconut milk (I use this brand)
- 1 cup homemade hemp milk*
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
2. Add the hazelnut butter into the bottom of the glass, so it becomes a secret surprise as you make your way to the bottom of the treat.
3. Then blend up your homemade hemp milk, yogurt, vanilla and salt to make the hemp milk creamy base for the sundae. Pour it in the cup.
4. Lastly, whip up the cream topping and top the sundae along with more hemp hearts and crushed hazelnuts. You could probably add some additional chocolate and hazelnut butter if you want to get really fancy.😁
Serve chilled and enjoy!
*How to Make Homemade Hemp Milk:
Comment here or tag me on Instagram if you make any of these recipes! And if you want to share, use the sharing tabs above and below the recipe! Thank you!