Cinnamon Spice Chickpea Donuts (vegan, dairy-free, refined-sugar-free)
- 1 can 15 oz chickpeas (also called garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 cup gluten-free all-purpose baking flour
- 1/2 cup nut milk
- 1 flax egg 1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp vanilla powder
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- pinch of cloves
- pinch of salt
Chocolate Glaze (or just melt a chocolate bar)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 1/8 cup maple syrup
- Make the flax egg and set aside to for 10 minutes. Preheat oven for 350 F degrees.
- Lightly grease donut pan - sometimes I use coconut oil but that does make the donuts greasy so I am thinking of trying next time putting no coating since my the mold has a smooth coating.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl. Add in the wet and add mixture to a food processor or blender, and process until just creamy.
- Spoon donut batter into rings, filling to the top.
- Bake 15 minutes until golden and a test toothpick comes out dry. Tip donuts onto a cooking rack. When cooled, make the glaze, put it in a bowl, and dip the donuts. I have also simply melted a 72% chocolate bar to coat them with. Enjoy!
Dee Dine is the recipe developer and writer behind Green Smoothie Gourmet. She shares her super healthy wholesome recipes on her blog and her Instagram that she feeds her family and friends. She gravitates toward recipes that are fast to create, plant-based, nutritious, easy, and use familiar ingredients. And chocolate is always a good idea! More about Dee.