This fresh and fun fruit explosion tops a simple strawberry zucchini cilantro smoothie, but you can present this platter on top of any smoothie recipe of course, or even nothing at all, just the fruit and veggies!
And why present so many choices? Because eating the rainbow is the best way to get all the nutrients your body needs each day. Basically we should be eating red, orange, yellow, green, purple, and white plants daily. Each color fruit or vegetable contains some essential supporting nutrient.
Here are just a few benefits per color:
1. RED: has lycopene, which protects again disease and contributes to eye and heart health. EX: Strawberries, raspberries, cherries, rhubarb, watermelon
2. ORANGE & YELLOW: has beta carotene, which supports eyes, skin, immune system. EX: Carrots, peppers, yellow cabbage, persimmon, cantelope
3. GREEN: has lutein, which protects against disease, supports immune system and much more. EX: leafy veggies, green peppers, kiwi, avocado, celery
4. BLUE & PURPLE: has flavonoids and anthocyanins which boost brain power, and the immune system. EX: Blueberries, blackberries, purple cabbage
5. WHITE & NEUTRAL: Many essential nutrients missing in other foods. EX: Apples, pears, bananas, zucchini, cucumbers, mushrooms, onions, dragonfruit, coconut (Nutritional science categorizes a food color by the flesh, not skin..)
Nature has made healthy eating easy for us if only we’d follow the rainbow.
Check out my recipe for the yogurt below, or serve it on plain homemade coconut yogurt (my recipe here) or even a decadent cashew cream (try this recipe). Enjoy a rainbow day on me!
Strawberry Zucchini Cilantro Smoothie
makes 6-8 cups
- 3 cups strawberries
- 1 cup frozen zucchini, peeled
- 4 cups plant yogurt
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup white chia seeds
- pinch of salt
Blend all the ingredients, pour in your serving platter (we used a gorgeous Staub pan), and top with a rainbow array of fruits. We served up green grapes, kiwi, oranges, cantalope, mangoes, persimmons, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, passionfruit, dragonfruit, and cilantro. Want to cut your fruit into stars too? Try these mini star cookie cutters!