Eat the Rainbow Smoothie Platter & HOW to eat the Rainbow on a Daily Basis.
This fresh and fun fruit explosion tops a rainbow smoothie, but you can present this platter on top of any smoothie recipe of course, or even nothing at all, just the fruit and veggies!
And why present so many choices?
Because eating the rainbow is the best way to get all the nutrients your body needs each day. Basically we should be eating red, orange, yellow, green, purple, and white plants daily. Each color fruit or vegetable contains some essential supporting nutrient.
Here are just a few benefits per color:
1. RED: has lycopene, which protects again disease and contributes to eye and heart health. EX: Strawberries, raspberries, cherries, rhubarb, watermelon
2. ORANGE & YELLOW: has beta carotene, which supports eyes, skin, immune system. EX: Carrots, peppers, yellow cabbage, persimmon, cantelope
3. GREEN: has lutein, which protects against disease, supports immune system and much more. EX: leafy veggies, green peppers, kiwi, avocado, celery
4. BLUE & PURPLE: has flavonoids and anthocyanins which boost brain power, and the immune system. EX: Blueberries, blackberries, purple cabbage
5. WHITE & NEUTRAL: Many essential nutrients missing in other foods. EX: Apples, pears, bananas, zucchini, cucumbers, mushrooms, onions, dragonfruit, coconut (Nutritional science categorizes a food color by the flesh, not skin..)
Nature has made healthy eating easy for us if only we’d follow the rainbow.
Check out my recipe for a healthy rainbow-filled Rainbow Berry Zucchini Cilantro Smoothie below. You can use store-bought yogurt or make your own coconut yogurt (my recipe here). Or swap the yogurt for a decadent cashew cream (try this recipe).
Eat it alone or top it with a rainbow of fruits as I did! Enjoy a rainbow day on me!
Rainbow Berry Zucchini Cilantro Smoothie
6-8 cups of smoothie mixture
- 3 cups strawberries (pink, red)
- 1/4 cup blueberries (blue, purple)
- 1/4 cup yellow bell pepper (yellow)
- 1 cup frozen zucchini (white - inside is what counts) peeled
- 2 cups plant yogurt
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro (green)
- 1/4 cup white chia seeds
- pinch of salt
Blend all the ingredients, pour in your serving platter and top with a rainbow array of fruits. We served up green grapes, kiwi, oranges, cantaloupe, mangoes, persimmons, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, passion fruit, dragon fruit, and cilantro.