These healthy crumb ice cream sandwiches are dairy-free, vegan and simple to make, freeze and keep for a summertime treat. And such a healthy treat - the crust has protein and fiber and the ice cream is non-dairy and homemade. A dessert that will make you feel great.
Healthy Crumb Ice Cream Sandwiches (vegan, DF, GF, no-bake)
These healthy crumb ice cream sandwiches are not your typical ice cream sandwich. These are high in protein and fiber.
And the ice cream? Well you can use what you want with my sandwiches, but here I used a homemade no-churn ice cream.
Ice Cream Sandwiches Use a Multi-Tasking Crumb
I used the crumb from my tart shell in my Raw Meyer Lemon Tarts?
If we have to multitask, it makes sense that our recipes should too, right?
I used nicecream in these bars because who doesn't like ice cream sandwiches that are healthy and use an ice cream that is no churn, so easy! Plus, you can customize it - I often add chunks of my white bean vegan cookie dough.
You can add berries or chips or nothing at all - whatever floats your boat.
The tart crust recipe makes the perfect crumb because it has few ingredients, all are nutritious, and it holds up so well.
But this is chocolate, you say? And you remember that my raw meyer tart shells are vanilla? Yes, very observant of you. That's the tweak!
I made these chocolate in flavor by adding healthy cacao powder. But cocoa is fine too, just be sure it is unsweetened. I sweetened these with coconut sugar although I didn't sweeten the tart shells since I was trying to replicate a traditional unsweetened pie crust..
How Healthy Are These Homemade Ice Cream Sandwiches?
The almond flour in the crust provides protein, while the cacao powder contributes mood-boosting magnesium, and antioxidants.
I added flaxseed to the crumb as well to up the fiber. The ice cream is full of protein, but you can use your own choice.
More Healthy Ice Cream Recipes
Interested in sharing on pinterest? Perhaps use this image...
Don’t miss a thing, subscribe here to get recipes delivered to your inbox!
Healthy Crumb Ice Cream Sandwiches
Ice Cream or Nicecream - makes 2 ½ cups
Ice Cream Sandwich Crumble
- bar silicon mold
- or regular loaf pan
Make the Ice Cream
- If you are going to make my recipe, add all ice cream ingredients to blender, and blend until ultra creamy.
Put mixture in a freezer-safe container with lid, or line a loaf pan with parchment paper and spoon ice cream into it.
- If you are not going to use an ice cream maker, cover the whole mixture with a layer of parchment and freeze mixture for at least 2 hours, or overnight. The next day, chop it up with a fork and give it a whiz in a blender to cream it up. Store in an airtight container in the freezer. Let it thaw 15 minutes before scooping.
- If you ARE going to use an ice cream maker, put the blended ice cream in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before churning. Then churn according to your ice cream maker's instructions. Add in cookie dough chunks or chips or nuts once churning it complete. Store in an airtight container in the freezer.
Make the Ice cream sandwiches
- Use a food processor (I used a 4-cup size) to blend up the crust, adding the melted coconut oil last. Fill 8 slots of the mold with about ¼ inch of the mixture for the bottom layer. Keep back some to top the bars, and freeze the mold for 30 minutes. Spoon your ice cream of choice into slots, filling to the top. Use your hands to crumble the left over crust mixture, and sprinkle some mixture on top. Freeze over night, pop the bars out, drizzle with chocolate or not, and enjoy!
- Don't have a mold? No problem! Just line a loaf pan with parchment, press in ¾ of your crust, pour in the ice cream, sprinkle the rest of the crust on top. Freeze the loaf pan for 4 hours or until you feel safe cutting them. Cut them into8 long rectangles, and store in the freezer.
- They will last frozen for about a month.