Light Tomato Vegetable Spicy Soup
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 scallions chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 8-10 fresh tomatoes get pulp by grater, use the side with largest holes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup white mushrooms chopped
- 3 tsp fresh crushed basil leaves
- 3 tsp dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- pinch of cayenne more to turn up the heat!
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- In a skillet, heat the olive oil, and brown the chopped onion, scallions, garlic and tomato paste, stirring until onions are browned.
- Stir in the mushrooms, to heat up and brown a bit. Turn heat off while you prepare tomatoes.
- Cut washed tomatoes in half, and using a hand-grater in a bowl, press each tomato half to the grate and grate the tomato pulp off until you get down to the skin. Compost the tomato skin.
- Turn the heat back on under the skillet, stir in the tomato pulp, water and vegetable broth until it comes to a light bubble but don't reduce the liquid - we want to keep this a broth. Stir in spices and salt and paper. Turn off heat.
- Serve with sprinklings of microgreens, and nutritional yeast.
- Maybe dip with bread? Enjoy!
Dee Dine is the recipe developer and writer behind Green Smoothie Gourmet. She shares her super healthy wholesome recipes on her blog and her Instagram that she feeds her family and friends. She gravitates toward recipes that are fast to create, plant-based, nutritious, easy, and use familiar ingredients. And chocolate is always a good idea! More about Dee.