Light Tomato Vegetable Spicy Soup
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 scallions chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 8-10 fresh tomatoes get pulp by grater, use the side with largest holes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup white mushrooms chopped
- 3 tsp fresh crushed basil leaves
- 3 tsp dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- pinch of cayenne more to turn up the heat!
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- In a skillet, heat the olive oil, and brown the chopped onion, scallions, garlic and tomato paste, stirring until onions are browned.
- Stir in the mushrooms, to heat up and brown a bit. Turn heat off while you prepare tomatoes.
- Cut washed tomatoes in half, and using a hand-grater in a bowl, press each tomato half to the grate and grate the tomato pulp off until you get down to the skin. Compost the tomato skin.
- Turn the heat back on under the skillet, stir in the tomato pulp, water and vegetable broth until it comes to a light bubble but don't reduce the liquid - we want to keep this a broth. Stir in spices and salt and paper. Turn off heat.
- Serve with sprinklings of microgreens, and nutritional yeast.
- Maybe dip with bread? Enjoy!