A light and simple recipe, and secretly healthy! Quinoa pancakes!
Did you know this could be done? I didn’t until I went to make buckwheat pancakes this weekend, and found no buckwheat in my pantry.
But there was quinoa flour, so….
I threw in a flaxseed egg, a bit of gluten-free all-purpose flour to balance things out, and baking soda of course..and made the easiest pancakes ever!
In fact, I made them Saturday, but then everyone wanted them Sunday too!
I was happy to oblige. I love to add quinoa to family meals. The nutrition in this seed is astounding, full of perfect protein, and fiber.
And my favorite characteristic of quinoa is you get the same nutrition no matter the form. So you can use it in the form of flour, or you can cook it, or you can eat it toasted or popped.
Anything you do to it does not diminish it’s nutrition!
I hope you love these pancakes, easy to mix and they don’t weigh you down.
Happy pancake weekend to you!
Simple Quinoa Flaxseed Pancakes (Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Vegan)
- Make flaxseed egg and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Blend flours, baking powder, milk, sugar and the flaxseed in your blender or stir by hand in a large measuring cup (I do the latter with pancakes because then it is easier to pour pancakes onto the griddle.)
You want a pourable, yet thick, mixture. Add more plant milk by tbsp if it is too thick; add all-purpose flour by tbsp if it is too watery.
- Put a griddle pan on the stove and heat until a sprinkling of water beads up.
- Pour 4 small pancakes at a time, quickly sprinkle 5-8 chocolate chips onto the pancakes if you are adding those.
Flip when the edges seem dry and tiny holes appear.
I let them cool on a cooking rack so they don't get wet; then I serve.
- Between sets of pancakes, I rinse the griddle to cool it a bit, and then put it back on the stove and pour on the next set of pancakes. This method always helps me keep the pancakes a solid brown, without making those graduated rings appear which are a result of a too-hot griddle.
Dee Dine is the recipe developer and writer behind Green Smoothie Gourmet. She shares her super healthy wholesome recipes on her blog and her Instagram that she feeds her family and friends. She gravitates toward recipes that are fast to create, plant-based, nutritious, easy, and use familiar ingredients. And chocolate is always a good idea! More about Dee.