I love baking recipes that allow you to throw the whole list of ingredients at once into a blender! I know some bakers out there will call me out for not weighing ingredients, or sifting dry, then blending wet.
The quinoa flour provides a good neutral base that pairs well with the strong vanilla flavor and sweet party frosting. The texture is quite cake-y yet light, and nutrition-wise, the donut hits it out of the park, with quinoa and flax itself contributing fiber, protein, and upteen vitamins and minerals.
It’s not only vegan, it’s gluten-free, dairy-free, and can be made oil-free! Let’s get to it!
Makes 12 donuts
- 1 1/2 cup quinoa flour (I use this brand) (chickpea flour also works)
- 1/2 cup gluten-free all purpose flour (I use this brand)
- 2 flax eggs (6 tbsp water + 2 tbsp ground flax)
- 1 cup coconut sugar (I use this brand)
- 2 tsp coconut oil (or make use apple sauce to make it oil-free)
- 2 tsp vanilla paste (I use this brand : vanilla paste is less expensive than fresh vanilla beans but tastes just like them, and one jar lasts a long time!
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup of plant milk
- pinch of salt
Spreadable Beetroot frosting
- 1 cup powdered sugar (I use this brand)
- 3/4 cup vegan butter, melted
- 1/8 cup plant milk
- 1/2 to 1 tsp beetroot powder (I use this brand)(amount depends on color you want)
2. I throw all my donut ingredients into my blender at once, and blend until just creamy; just as with pancake batter, don’t over-blend or donuts will get rubbery.
3. I pipe my donut batter into the rings of the mold using a cloth frosting bag, but you can also spoon it and level tops with the spoon. Fill about 3/4’s high – see my preparation pictures to help you.
4. Bake the donuts exactly 12 minutes or when you see cracking on top.
5. Stir, mix or blend ingredients for the frosting. Cover bowl with a soaking-wet paper towel while you wait for the donuts.
6. Allow the donuts to fully cool before removing them from the mold or they might break.
7. Frost with knife, sprinkle and serve! I used Baking Time vegan sprinkles!