Nut butter chocolate chips baked in my favorite easy chocolate chip cookies. An easy cookie recipe high in protein, nut free, and full of chips rich in nut butter goodness.
Homemade Nut Butter Chocolate Chips
It's easy to make Homemade Nut Butter Chocolate Chips and bake them into a delicious chewy cookie. This homemade healthy chip turns this ordinary cookie into a taste party.
The melt in your mouth nut butter chips are delicious along with chocolate chip goodness of this chewy cookie.
And the recipe is quite easy. The chips come together with just a few ingredients, and the cookie is baked just like your favorite chocolate chip cookie.
What Do Homemade Nut Butter Chocolate Chips Taste Like?
This creative simple healthy treat has the peanut-buttery flavor with a sweetness of maple syrup, only it is nut healthy goodness.
How to Make Homemade Nut Butter Chocolate Chips
It is very easy to make Homemade Nut Butter Chocolate Chips.
Just mix up ingredients in a glass measuring cup, microwave for 5 seconds, stir and pour into mold.
I used silicon pot holders as molds to get this hexagon shape but they now sell chocolate chip molds if you want to invest here. I am assuming it's also possible to line a loaf pan with parchment and pour the mixture into there, freeze, and chop into chunks.
I store my chips in jars in the freezer until ready for use. Beware, they will melt at room temperature because of the coconut oil.
How to Make Chocolate Chip Cookies
Make the chocolate chip cookie recipe as written, line a cookie sheet with scoops of batter, and poke several Homemade Nut Butter Chocolate Chips straight into the batter before baking. The nut butter chips sometimes disappear into the cookie, but the taste is so very much there with every bite!
How Healthy Are Homemade Nut Butter Chocolate Chips?
Using any quality nut butter, loads the homemade chips with protein, fiber, zinc, folate and vitamin E. Nuts and seeds also contribute B complex vitamins, essential for the healthy nervous system, and also supply iron, phosphorus, and zinc.
I make these cookies with all sorts of nut butters, and sunflower seed butter works as well!
How to Freeze Chocolate Chip Cookie Batter
The best way to freeze this cookie batter with Sunbutter chips is to cover the cookie sheet and freeze as is. To bake, remove pan, let is thaw for 45 minutes. And bake the recipe as written.
Tips to Make These Chocolate Chip Cookies
1. Be sure to make the chips at least the night before and chill.
2. Use refined coconut oil if you want absolutely no coconut flavor in these cookies.
3. This cookie recipe is vegan, with no eggs and vegan butter. It is not gluten free however. That's because I ran out of gluten-free flour, but I do think a 1 to 1 substitution with gluten-free baking flour would work.
4. Use mini chocolate chips. My preference, I know, but mini as opposed to large chocolate chips seems to allow the sunbutter chip flavor to come through.
5. Be careful with your flour measurement. Scoop or spoon flour into your measuring cup, and shake it level. I know most experts say weighing flour is best, but I always have success with this method. Just be sure not to pack it down with a spoon.
6. Remove the cookies from the oven exactly on time even if they look raw. They are not and they will be over-baked by the time they look baked.
Don’t miss a thing, subscribe here to get recipes delivered to your inbox!
Nut Butter Chocolate Chips
Nut Butter Chips
Nut Butter Chips
- Add all ingredients to a glass measuring cup, stir and microwave to soften for about 5-10 seconds, more if you need it to create a glossy smooth mixture.
- Pour the mixture onto your chip molds or into a parchment lined loaf pan.
- I frozen mine overnight to be able to extract them from the mold. I then stored them in a covered jar in the freezer to allow them to remain solid. You have to let them thaw and gently pry them apart that way though. It might be best to store in the mold until ready for use.
Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Make chia seed egg and set aside.
- Fill a large mixing bowl with softened butter, cane sugar, brown sugar, chia seed egg and vanilla, and mix well. Stir in the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt until a dough forms. Lastly, fold in chocolate chips and sunbutter chips.
- Refrigerate the dough for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Drop 1 tbsp of dough onto the pan about 2 inches apart. You can use a cookie scooper for a well-rounded look or just roll them in balls.
- Bake them for 13-14 minutes. The cookies will seem under done. They will cook further out of the oven. Let them cool on the pan for a minute, then transfer them to a rack with a spatula.
- Store them at room temperature for a week, or freeze long term.