Time for a New Lunch Box : The Vaya Tyffyn.
When I was of elementary school age, I loved my Barbie lunch box, pink, squishy, such a joy. But all it held was my jelly sandwich, a piece of fruit, a few cookies and a water bottle. And maybe, if Mother was feeling it, a chunk of chocolate.
Now, however, my lunches are plant-based and healthy, and a bit more compliqué — they are salads, and quinoa mixtures, and sauted chickpeas, and cauliflower mashes, and chopped fruits, and smoothie bowls, and even healthy cookies-and-cream dips for dessert.
In short, my current lunch menus would probably have quickly overcome poor Barbie, sending her stumbling out the door.😁
So, needless to say, with my change in dietary choices, I needed a change in the way I carry my food.
I went with mason jars for a long time, and that is useful, of course, jarred salads are fun layers that can be put together the night before.
But after awhile, I yearned for the separation of food : Enter the “Tyffyn.”
The “Tyffyn” is the brand name for a new line of lunchboxes offered by @Vaya_Life. It is a modern version of the tiffin box, the famed lunchbox widely used in South Asia to carry midday meals.
The @Vaya_Life Tyffyn lunchboxes are awesome and carry my luncheon choices like royalty!.
Tyffyns hold stacks of containers, up to three! And the containers have optional separators so that raises the possibilities to 6 single dishes for one lunch – oh my!
Tyffyns are thermal, so food stays warm for many hours, and my favorite aspect — the stunning inner copper containers are leakproof so my matcha smoothie bowl leaked not a drop.
And these sleek modern boxes are designer gorgeous, come in several sizes and patterns and materials, and even a few adorable smaller sizes for children. And each come with a stylish carrying bag that doubles as a placemat.
All in all, I am so happy with mine, and I have been able to carry so much food to work this week that I am finding I have more to share, to the delight of my curious and hungry co-workers.
In this post, I am sharing with you as well, down further in this post, where I have provided a few of the recipes that I packed here.
Also I suggest you check out @Vaya_Life Tyffyns for yourself! For a short time, please use VAYALIFE34 to get 10% off products at vayalife.com.
Recipe #1: Sauteed Quinoa & Veggies
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 cup chopped carrots
- 1/4 cup chopped zucchini
- 2 tbsp liquid aminos
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
1. Boil water, add quinoa, cover and reduce heat to simmer, cooking until water is absorbed, about 5 minutes
2. In a skillet, add oil, scallions and garlic, and saute for 2 minutes.
3. Add carrots and zucchini, saute for 1 minute
4. Add quinoa, liquid aminos and stir up and saute 1 minute
5. Top with sesame seeds, and serve! Put it in your Tyffyn!
Recipe #2: Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 1/2 cup plant milk
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- pinch of salt
- pinch of black pepper
- 1 tbsp cilantro, chopped
1. Boil cauliflower florets until a fork slides in easily. Drain, and let cool.
2. Combine all ingredients in a blender or process, and puree until creamy.
3. Garnish, and serve! Put it in your Tyffyn!
Recipe #3: Cookies & Cream Dessert Dip
- 2 cups cashews, soaked overnight
- 1 cup water
- 2 probiotic capsules
- 2 tbsps maple syrup
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla cream
- 1/2 bar dark chocolate
- 1 tsp cinnamon
1. Prepare the yogurt by blending cashews, 1/2 tsp vanilla cream and 1 tbsp maple syrup until creamy, pour into a tall glass mason jar. Open probiotic capsules and pour contents on to cashew mixture, and stir with a wooden spoon (very important not to use metal or probiotics will be de-activated). Cover jar with a paper towel held tight with an elastic band. Set jar in a cool dry place for 12 hours, longer for a tangy-er flavor. Then put on a secure lid, and refrigerate. Chilling should help thicken after a few hours. Yogurt lasts 2 days in refrigerator.
2. To make the dip, add 2 cups of yogurt to a blender along with 1/2 tsp vanilla cream, 1 tbsp maple syrup, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt. Blend until creamy, and split into two portions.
3. Melt the chocolate bar in the microwave or in a double boiler, stir into one of the portions until it becomes chocolate in flavor.
4. Swirl the two flavors together in a bowl, and serve with cookies or crackers, we also serve extra chocolate chips on the side! Put it in your Tyffyn!
Thank you Vaya Life for sponsoring this post and thank you readers for supporting the brands that support Green Smoothie Gourmet! As always, all opinions are my own. #VayaTyffyn #Ad