A healthy cookie ice cream sandwich with a chocolate and vanilla marble shortbread cookie housing a low-calorie homemade banana chocolate ice cream - an easy dessert, a low calorie snack and a wonderful frozen summertime treat.
Healthy Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
Making healthy cookie ice cream sandwiches is easier than ever these days. That's because homemade ice cream is so easy to make, even without an ice cream maker. And here I put my homemade ice cream inbetween easy marble shortbread cookies but you can use your own favorite cookie if you prefer.
Even though I prefer to make non-banana smoothies and ice creams such as - my blender chocolate ice cream and 4-ingredient Cauliflower Ice Cream. It's quite convenient to make ice cream from bananas. So if you are not allergic to them, I recommend this method.
Alas, we have allergic family members so we have to vary our homemade ice cream ingredients. Still, this trick is useful so I'm going to share.
You do know the banana trick, right? Freeze very ripe bananas at the height of their sweetness, and blend with flavors and you have ice cream. No, not Haagen-dazs, haha, but a creamy rather sweet icy goodness that can pass pretty much like a decent ice cream.
And no, it doesn't taste like bananas. Oddly the freezing condition apparently wipes out that flavor.
A good thing too, because I am not really a fan of banana flavored things. Another plus, this form takes on added flavors beautifully. Berries, fruit, and chocolate!
Why Use Bananas When Making Ice Cream
These yellow peel fruit is one of the largest sources of potassium necessary for heart and neurological healthy.
One medium ripe banana holds 1 gram of protein, 3gms fiber, and 450mg of potassium. They are also a great source of dietary fiber. Also holds magnesium (supports sleep and mood), vitamin C and manganese.
This month we had a lot of neighborhood parties to attend. And most of those are recipe shares, and one dessert we made and shared are these!
In case you don't know what a neighborhood recipe share is, I'll explain.
You make your recipe, but also type it up and make copies - we brought about 20 or so - and stack those next to your recipe on the table. People taste and grab the recipe if they like it! We love sharing double-trouble recipes like this one - a cookie recipe as well as the nicecream recipe.
How to Make Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
Choose your cookie. We made a simple gluten-free cookie in both vanilla and chocolate and twisted the dough together so it came out marble. But you can use your own favorite cookie, such as a sugar cookie or a shortbread.
Then, make your ice cream. Make sure it is hard enough to scrape a spoon across and have it roll up. You don't want the ice cream to be so soft that you can't spread it to stay on the cookie.
Once your cookie ice cream sandwiches are built, freeze them for about an hour or more. You want them frozen to eat and to dip.
To dip them, melt chocolate chips at 60 seconds in the microwave, then dip each frozen cookie ice cream sandwich halfway. It will solidify instantly because your cookie ice cream sandwich is frozen. Store these beauties individually wrapped in the freezer. Ours stay fresh in there for 6 weeks or more.
Looking for More Healthy Ice Cream Recipes?
Interested in sharing on pinterest? Perhaps use this image...
Don’t miss a thing, subscribe here to get recipes delivered to your inbox!
Healthy Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich
Marble Cookies (Makes about 16 cookie halves)
Chocolate Nicecream (makes 2 cups)
- 4 bananas frozen
- ¼ cup cacao powder
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
To make cookies:
- In a large mixing bowl, stir by hand or with handmixer the ingredients for the cookies except for the cacao powder.
- Split off ¼ of the dough and put into a separate mixing bowl.Add the cacao powder to the remaining ¾ dough, mix until incorporated.
- Add the vanilla ¼ dough portion to the chocolate portion, and with your hands, form a rod about twice the width of a paper towel holder. You want a marble effect between the chocolate and vanilla dough, so just press them together, don't formally use a mixer to blend the two.
- Wrap the dough rod into a sheet of parchment paper.
- Freeze the dough rod for 1 hour and then slice the cylinder into ½ inch slices.
- To bake, preheat oven to 350°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Bake the cookies for 7-10 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
To make chocolate nice cream:
- I make the nicecream for these sandwiches after the cookies are made and cooled. Blend up ingredients until the nicecream is creamy and smooth.
- Use a high speed blender to make this nicecream since frozen bananas are hard to blend up. If you must use a food processor, thaw first 10 minutes or so and add a few tablespoons of milk if needed.
- Put the nicecream in the freezer, covered with parchment, for at least one hour before trying to spread on the cookies.
Build a Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich
- To build sandwiches, slather nicecream on a cookie, place on parchment-lined cookie sheet, and cover with another cookies and freeze right away!
- We freeze the nicecream cookies overnight so our ice cream sandwich cookies are nice and hard.
- We dipped ours in a melted chocolate bar and sprinkled almond slivers!