Vegan Peppermint Dark & White Chocolate Bark.
A fresh and minty classic, and totally vegan.
Do you know that technically white chocolate can never be vegan because it contains milk? And commercial white chocolate is really a collection of unhealthy chemicals. So to make a healthier vegan version, try my recipe. Cacao that is unprocessed is full of antioxidants and nutrients that boost brain powder and your heart.
And this classic bark recipes puts both healthy dark chocolate and a healthy homemade white chocolate together with a sprinkling of crushed peppermint candy canes.
Even peppermint flavoring is healthy, considered beneficial to your digestion. So, all in all, this recipe is a pretty good for you, if you don’t count the candy canes🙂.
A party on a plate!
Vegan Peppermint Dark & White Chocolate Bark
- Line an 8 inch by 8 inch pan with parchment hanging over two sides.
- Melt your jar of coconut oil so you can retrieve 1 tbsp - I usually just boil a pot of water, and pop the jar in the water. A top layer of melted coconut oil appears pretty fast.
- Pour 1 cup of the powdered sugar into a bowl, add the vanilla and peppermint flavorings, and a pinch of salt.
- Chop the dark chocolate bars into rough chunks, set aside.
- Chop the white cacao butter into rough chunks, set aside.
- Chop 2 candy canes and set aside.
Make the white chocolate
- Melt the 1/2 cup of roughly chopped cacao butter in the microwave in 15 second increments until melted.
- Pour the melted cacao butter onto the sugar you put in a bowl (with the vanilla and salt), and then pour on the 1 tbsp melted coconut oil.
- Blend until creamy. Now you have white chocolate! Cover with plate and go prep the dark chocolate.
Prep the dark chocolate
- Melt the chocolate in pan that is sitting in a pan of boiling water. Do not let water hit your chocolate.
Make the Bark
- Pour the melted dark chocolate into the pan lined with parchment in a 1/2 inch layer. Set aside for 15 minutes to harden.
- Splatter on the white chocolate just to cover in a decorative manner, like patches of snow. I like to leave this bark predominantly dark chocolate with only a glazing of white chocolate on top. But you obviously can do the reverse or marble it.
- Sprinkle on the crushed candy canes. If the white chocolate is warm enough, the candy canes melt a bit and leave a shiny sugary seal on top.
- Refrigerate the bark for 10 minutes.
- Remove and lift out holding the parchment onto a table, and break it apart.
- We found the bark stays well in an airtight container at room temperature or cooler for at least a week.
Dee Dine is founder of Green Smoothie Gourmet, a plant based recipe blog, and author of the recent cookbook, Crazy Healthy with 4 Ingredients . On this blog you’ll find incredibly easy recipes with hidden veggies for anyone wanting to eat healthier, regardless of diet. Dee has graduate degrees in immunological nutritional studies and journalism. More about Dee Dine here.