Vegan Stretchy Cheese & Cauliflower Pizza Crust. Finally, healthy vegan pizza that has melty cheese on top. Enough said. No, I did not invent the basic stretch cheese recipe, not sure why it hasn’t become more well known, because it is delicious! Read on…
Makes 2 individual pizzas
First, the crust
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F and insert a stone or line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. Process the cauliflower into a crumble, boil or steam for 5 minutes. Squeeze dry in a ball of paper towels, pop in blender and let cool.
3. Meanwhile, make flax eggs. Mix ground flax and water in a bowl and let stand 5 minutes.
4. Blend all ingredients including cauliflower and flax eggs and all the rest until a thick mixture forms. Spread it in a circle on your stone or cookie sheet parchment, even off the surface with a spoon.
7. Bake for 15-20 minutes until edges crisp and top is firm to touch. You can flip and cook the other side too if it seems uncooked. Top with sauce, toppings, heat up again if you’d like, and enjoy!
Next, the stretchy cheese
Blend to watery consistency. Pour in sauce pan and heat over medium flame, stirring slowly, past the part it looks like it is curdling, until it becomes a stretchy gooey mess, about 5-7 minutes. Don’t skimp on the stirring, very important! Also, I used a Teflon-coated pan so the gooey mess doesn’t stick to my pot. Once it resembles melted dairy cheese, slide it on top of your assembled pizza, and brown gently in an oven if you want to, it’s wonderful!
A few warnings, this is a bit of an science experiment, so sometimes variables interfere: The variables are the heat of your pot, the surface of your pot, the quality and potency of your ACV and tapioca. Just keep adjusting to fit your environment, you’ll get to your stretchy cheese, I promise.
Oh, and in case you need a homemade tomato sauce recipe, here is a variation on what my Sicilian grandmother taught me – brown the onions in olive oil, pour in the rest of the ingredients, simmer 30 minutes, remove bay leaf.
gluten-free cauliflower crust
- 2 cups ground cauliflower (1 half of a head)
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 flax eggs (2tbsp ground flax mixed with 6 tbsp water)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp each oregano and basil
- 1 chopped garlic clove
- pinch of black pepper
vegan stretchy cheese
- 1/2 cup soaked cashews
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 tbsp + 2 tsp tapioca starch
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 tsp salt
Homemade tomato sauce
- 4 tomatoes
- 2 tbsp of tomato paste
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Some basil leaves
- 1 tsp of dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
This recipe is adapted from this stretchy cheese recipe by Somer McCowan, widely considered the first to post it back in 2013.
Dee Dine is the recipe developer and writer behind Green Smoothie Gourmet. She shares her super healthy wholesome recipes on her blog and her Instagram that she feeds her family and friends. She gravitates toward recipes that are fast to create, plant-based, nutritious, easy, and use familiar ingredients. And chocolate is always a good idea! More about Dee.