Zesty lime adds a surprising bright spark to these fudgy healthy brownies which is free of dairy and gluten and refined-sugar.
Zesty Lime Healthy Brownies
We should all strive to be more like healthy brownies, right? Flexible, delicious, forgiving!
You can add anything to a brownie, and still it becomes a party in your mouth! There are sooo many brownie recipes out in the world – vegan and otherwise. So I know another isn’t really needed, but I did want something different, and today I figured out what!
I wanted a citrus brownie.
And since there are already plenty of orange-chocolate recipes, I went with limes. I thought it would be a good choice, actually, because limes are sweeter than lemons, and not quite as sweet as oranges, and I do love bitter chocolate.
Well, I was right! It was a successful match!
How Do These Healthy Brownies Taste?
This brownie is dense, fudgy chocolate with a hint of bright citrus-y lime. I used less sweetener to allow the citrus-sweet lime flavor through and it worked! And it only took me three tries, haha..
I melted dark chocolate on top with some fresh lime zest for added pizzazz. And the result is definitely pizzazz-y!
It’s a fairly easy recipe, too. As you might know by now, in general I don’t go in much for gathering multiple ingredients. And I like cleaning multiple pots and utensils even less.
Two bowls here, people – does that work for you? Works for me.
How Healthy Are These Brownies?
And goes without saying – but of course I’m going to say it – this brownie is fairly healthy. My philosophy in life is that if you are going to home-bake a dessert, you might as well use healthy ingredients, agreed? Life is too short to fill our bodies with junk.
Plus I really really want to feel great after a dessert, not absolutely terrible.
The Importance of Adding Lime to Brownies
So the healthy ingredients here include almonds for protein, cacao for mood-boosting magnesium, and of course, limes, for vitamin C, great for skin support as well! Enjoy!
Interested in sharing on pinterest? Use this image…
Don’t miss a thing, subscribe here to get recipes delivered to your inbox!
Zesty Lime Healthy Brownies
- Preheat oven to 350F.
Line an 8-inch by 8-inch square baking pan with two rectangles of parchment paper. Squeeze one lime or two to gather 3 tbsp of fresh juice. Zest the skin so you have about 2 tbsp of zest to top the baked brownies.
Make the brownies
- Mix the dry ingredients in one bowl, including the cacao, flour, soda, and salt. Not the chocolate chips yet.
- Mix the wet ingredients in another bowl, the lime juice, almond butter, maple syrup apple sauce, and vanilla.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet bowl and use a hand-mixer to blend up smooth and set aside to melt the chocolate.Melt the chips in microwave at 60 seconds, and remove and stir until all chips are melted. Put about 3/4 of the melted chocolate into the batter and stir it up.
- Pour the brownie batter into the lined square pan, tap until the surface is even, then drizzle the last bit of melted chocolate in swirls on top.Bake the pan for about 25 minutes and until top cracks a bit. Remove pan from oven, let it cool to touch.
- Once cool, sprinkle on lime zest, slice and eat!
- We stored ours in the refrigerator overnight, which made them dry out a bit. So if you want to keep the fudgy texture, perhaps store at room temperature.
Dee Dine is founder of Green Smoothie Gourmet, a plant based recipe blog, and author of the recent cookbook, Crazy Healthy with 4 Ingredients . On this blog you’ll find incredibly easy recipes with hidden veggies for anyone wanting to eat healthier, regardless of diet. Dee has graduate degrees in immunological nutritional studies and journalism. More about Dee Dine here.