Start your day on a nutritious note with this chocolate protein smoothie bowl, a creamy, chocolate breakfast with a rich fudge flavor, energizing and filling thanks to yogurt, oats and avocado!
Packed with a wealth of nutrients, this chocolate protein smoothie bowl recipe includes protein-rich yogurt and hemp milk, antioxidant-rich cocoa powder and chocolate chips, and a healthy dose of healthy fats and fiber from the avocado and chia seeds. Like my pitaya smoothie bowl, this is a quick and simple breakfast, the perfect way to fuel your body and power through the morning.
Why You'll Love this Recipe
This smoothie provides a ton of protein and fiber, as well as a wealth of other health benefits, including:
Increased protein intake: This bowl is high in protein - 15 grams - thanks to the yogurt, milk and chia seeds all of which serve to satiate and repair muscle tissue.
Improved digestion: Fiber-rich oats and chia seeds help provide 9 grams of fiber which regulates digestion and promotes a healthy gut.
Boosted energy: The oats, chocolate and dates provide a natural energy boost.
- yogurt - I used cashew yogurt, use your favorite.
- milk - I used hemp milk. I recommend a high fat milk to support a creamy texture.
- unsweetened cocoa - The better the quality, the better the chocolate flavor of your smoothie. Ghiradelli or Valhrona are top choices.
- dates - Find dates in the produce section, or use maple syrup.
- chia seeds - Flaxseeds also provide fiber.
- rolled oats - Don't use instant or steel cut, they won't blend smooth enough.
- avocado - You only need half or even a quarter.
- chocolate chips - I use Enjoylife mini semi-sweet chips but cacao nibs are a healthier albeit more bitter choice.
How to Make
1. Prep ingredients. Soak the dates in just boiled water for about 5 minutes and pit. Cut open and pit the avocado.
2. Blend all ingredients in a blender, chill, top with fruits and chocolate sauce, and enjoy!
How to Store
To store this chocolate protein smoothie bowl, place it in an airtight container and refrigerate it for up to 24 hours. To maintain its freshness, it's best to consume it within 8 hours of preparation. Before serving, give it a good stir and add additional toppings or liquids as desired to adjust its consistency.
How to make a thick smoothie bowl?
The best ways to thicken a smoothie is to add avocado, chia seeds, frozen zucchini, frozen mango, and frozen banana.
How to make a smoothie bowl without a blender?
Yes! In a jar with a lid, add soft fruits such as raspberries and pulverize with a whisk or fork. Add to the jar yogurt and milk in a 1 to 1 ratio, and dissolvable additions such as crushed granola, chia seeds, hemp seeds, flax seeds, chocolate syrup, even a little fruit juice. Shake and drink.
How do you eat a smoothie bowl?
Pour your smoothie into a bowl, top with granola, nuts, crushed cookies, fruit chunks, and eat both the smoothie and the toppings with a spoon like you would a bowl of cereal.
More Smoothie Bowls
Subscribe HERE to get recipes delivered to your inbox!
Chocolate Protein Smoothie Bowl
- Prep ingredients. Soak the dates in just boiled water for about 5 minutes and pit. Cut open and pit the avocado.1 cup yogurt, 1 cup dairy-free milk, 2 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa, 2 dates, 1 tablespoon chia seeds, ¼ cup rolled oats, ½ avocado, 2 tablespoon chocolate chips
- Blend all ingredients in a blender, chill, top with fruits and chocolate sauce, and enjoy!