This lovely combo can be created using a blender, no juicer necessary. This is the famous shot that many say clears mysterious issues to skin, muscles, digestion and more. Specifically, the ginger helps digestion and boosts your immunity to awesome levels. Also helps with nausea, is an anti-inflammatory, cleanses, detoxes and provides antioxidants. Lemon kicks up your immune system as well and your vitamin C levels to lofty heights! And both energize you! Easy to make, try it daily – before breakfast – especially in the winter months. Too burny on your throat? That’s because ginger has capsaicin, the same found in hot chili peppers. If you want, chase down your shot with a glass of water, or even drink it diluted in an entire glass of water if that feels better.
Another detox recipe you might enjoy is my Smoothie Ice Cube Concentrates for speedy make-ahead breakfasts!
Ginger-Lemon Shots Blender Recipe - Sometimes there IS a quick fix!
- 1/4 cup fresh raw ginger knobs peeled - use a spoon as per Jamie Oliver, chopped
- 1/2 cup lemon juice squeezing 4-6 lemons should produce about 1/2 cup juice
Peel ginger, and chop roughly. Then you have 3 choices depending on how strong you want the ginger flavor. I have listed methods below starting with least strong ginger flavor to strongest.
- (I) You can put the peeled chunks of ginger, chop roughly, toss in blender;
- (II) You can press the peeled chunks through a garlic press (see equipment list above) and put ONLY the resulting juice in the blender;
- (III) You can use the garlic press and put both the juice and pulp in the blender. You are going to strain the pulp away anyway, so it just depends on how "burny" you want your shot.
Make the Shots
- Squeeze the lemons, and add their juice into blender as well. Try to use fresh lemons as bottled lemon juice is not as nutritious as fresh lemons. Several people have told me warming the lemons produces more juice. And recently I began using a hand-juicer - it has made squeezing lemons SO much easier!
- Blend the chopped/pressed ginger and lemon juice until fairly cloudy, then pour this mixture through a fine-mesh sieve, pushing the pulp against the screen with the back of a spoon to squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Toss the pulp away or compost.
Store your Juice
Store the juice you gathered in the refrigerator for 1 week -- drink 1-2 ounces a day, all at once. I use a glass straw and try to avoid getting the lemon on my teeth since lemon can wear away enamel, and the straw makes drinking it very fast and a non-event. Good health!!
- The resulting 1/2 cup of ginger-lemon juice provides you with 4 1-ounce shots OR 2 2-ounce shots. Most people recommend you begin daily ginger/lemon shots with a 1-ounce shot daily, and build up to a 2-ounce shot daily.
If you liked this quick-fix shot recipe, here are FIVE more recipes for various blender-only shots that will boost your metabolism and mood! Click here to visit that post! Enjoy!