Another detox recipe you might enjoy is my Smoothie Ice Cube Concentrates for speedy make-ahead breakfasts!
- 1/4 cup fresh raw ginger knobs (peeled – use a spoon as per Jamie Oliver, chopped)
- 1/2 cup lemon juice (squeezing 4-6 lemons should produce about 1/2 cup juice)
(I) You can put the peeled chunks of ginger, chop roughly, toss in blender;
(II) You can press the peeled chunks through a garlic press (see equipment list above) and put ONLY the resulting juice in the blender;
(III) You can use the garlic press and put both the juice and pulp in the blender. You are going to strain the pulp away anyway, so it just depends on how “burny” you want your shot.
2. Squeeze the lemons, and add their juice into blender as well. Try to use fresh lemons as bottled lemon juice is not as nutritious as fresh lemons. Several people have told me warming the lemons produces more juice.
3. Blend the chopped/pressed ginger and lemon juice until fairly cloudy, then pour this mixture through a fine-mesh sieve, pushing the pulp against the screen with the back of a spoon to squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Toss the pulp away or compost.
2. Store the juice you gathered in the refrigerator for 1 week — drink 1-2 ounces a day, all at once. I use a glass straw and try to avoid getting the lemon on my teeth since lemon can wear away enamel, and the straw makes drinking it very fast and a non-event. Good health!!
The resulting 1/2 cup of ginger-lemon juice provides you with 4 1-ounce shots OR 2 2-ounce shots. Most people recommend you begin daily ginger/lemon shots with a 1-ounce shot daily, and build up to a 2-ounce shot daily.