A pitaya bowl, also called a dragon fruit bowl, is a smoothie bowl full of antioxidant-rich fruits including pitaya, zucchini, mango and milk. A perfect nutrient-rich breakfast or snack, especially when topped with fresh fruits.
Pitaya bowls or dragon fruit smoothie bowls are my favorite breakfast when I want an energizing fruity hit for breakfast. And the these bowls hit the nutrition out of the park with 11 grams of protein and 13 grams of fiber in one bowl. And that's not counting all the other nutrition. This fruit is fascinating as I explain in my How to Cut Dragon Fruit post. And if you like this bowl, you might want to consider my dragon fruit smoothie, sipable via a straw. And if you like exotic fruits, consider trying my Kiwano melon smoothie.
Pitaya bowls have a slew of nutritional benefits. [source] Those include largely the benefits derived from the pitaya fruit, or as it's also called, dragon fruit. Those benefits include:
1. antioxidants such as flavonoids, phenolic acid, and betacyanin which all fight disease and aging.
2. high in fiber and free of fat
3. lowers blood sugar and has low sugar
4. aids your gut with natural probiotics which feed healthy bacteria in your stomach and help you to digest food correctly.
5. boosts immune system because it is high in vitamin C and other immune-boosting nutrients.
1.Pitaya - Also called dragon fruit can be used fresh or frozen or powdered.
If using fresh, be sure to chop and freeze beforehand.
If using frozen, check out the frozen fruit section. Here is a frozen pitaya or dragon fruit brand I like.
If using powdered, buy powdered pitaya or dragon fruit found with other supplements. Here is one powdered pitaya or dragon fruit brand.
2. Mango - Use frozen mango. Frozen banana also works.
3. Zucchini - chop and freeze. You don't have to peel unless it is not organic.
4. Liquid - I always use a bit of dairy-free milk in my smoothies to make them creamier and less icy.
Toppings - The list of potential toppings for a pitaya bowl is as long as your imagination.
How to Make a Pitaya Bowl
Step 1: Make sure mango and zucchini are frozen. And the dragon fruit if you are using it fresh.
Step 2: Add all ingredients except for half the liquid and blend up ingredients in a food processor or a blender. If the other half is needed to move the mixture, add it. But you want a smoothie bowl to have a thick texture like softserve so be sparing with the liquid.
Step 3. Process just until everything is just combined so the heat of the machine doesn't melt the mixture.
Step 4: Pour the pitaya smoothie into a bowl, add toppings and eat this smoothie bowl with a spoon.
Tips & Tricks
1. Keep it thick. A smoothie bowl is meant to be eaten like a bowl of ice cream so be sure most ingredients are frozen, and add very little liquid.
2. Expect to eat it right after you blend it. A smoothie bowl does not keep, it will melt into a smoothie in the refrigerator.
3. Use a variety of toppings to add crunch and nutrition.
Toppings to Add
chia seeds, hemp seeds, flax seeds
This smoothie bowl is more tropical than sweet but you can add a dessert angle by topping with chocolate chips or crushed cookies.
Why Eat Pitaya or Dragon Fruit?
A pitaya bowl is filling, fruity and energizing. And different. It's not always easy to find frozen pitaya so when you do, make a pitaya bowl to vary your breakfast. The bowl is high in nutrition you won't find in many fruits.
How Nutritious is Pitaya or Dragon Fruit?
Dragon fruit, or pitya, is high in vitamin C, magnesium, fiber, iron and antioxidants all at once. And it kicks off the metabolism so eating a pitaya bowl in the morning is good for weight control. But it is high in magnesium and low in sugar so eating a pitaya bowl at night can help your sleep.
But What is Dragon Fruit or Pitaya?
Pitaya, also called dragon fruit, is the fruit of a cactus. It is now grown in California, Central and South America. [source] Nutritionally the fruit is full of antioxidants which battle aging and disease. And it also has fiber and heart-healthy fats. [source]
How Does Dragon Fruit Taste?
Pitaya, or dragon fruit, tastes like a mild kiwi. There are dark pink-fleshed versions and white flesh. I can only find white flesh here on the east coast in the USA so I use frozen pink pitaya when I want that gorgeous color.
The fruit pairs well with tropical fruits such as mango and pineapple to turn your breakfast into a tropical treat.
Is A Pitaya A Dragon Fruit?
A pitaya is a dragon fruit and visa versa. The original name of the fruit is pitaya, and it is grown in many places, but especially in South and Central America. The name dragon fruit came about in the 1960s when farmers began to refer to them as that since they have a leathery skin and scaly spikes. Plus Hollywood came knocking and used them as fruits to depict food grown on alien planets. The name caught on and is used for marketing purposes all over the world. [source]
How to Eat Dragon Fruit
If eating fresh, wash the fruit, cut in half, and scoop out the edible flesh. Cut into cubes for use in a smoothie, salad or to eat like a melon. Spice it up with fresh ginger. Read more on my post, "how to cut a dragon fruit."
More Pitaya or Dragon Fruit Recipes
- dragon fruit smoothie
- smoothie cubes (make ahead smoothies)
- dragon fruit pink cookies
- dragon fruit pink ice cream
- dragon fruit protein bites
- pitaya protein cups
- dragon fruit pina colada popsicles
If you try my recipes, please leave a comment and rating below and tag me on your Instagram post with @greensmoothiegourmet so I can see and share your remakes!!
I invite you to keep up with me on:
Instagram | TikTok | Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter
Subscribe HERE to get recipes delivered to your inbox!
- 2 packages frozen pitaya (dragon fruit) (look for it in the freezer section)
- 1 cup frozen mango or frozen banana
- 1 cup zucchini
- 2 tablespoon dairy-free milk
- ¼ cup crushed nuts
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- ¼ cup chopped dragon fruit
- Freeze mango overnight. Add ingredients to a food processor.2 packages frozen pitaya (dragon fruit), 1 cup frozen mango, 1 cup zucchini, 2 tablespoon dairy-free milk
Make the Smoothie Bowl
- Blend up all ingredients.
- Pour the smoothie into bowls and add toppings.¼ cup crushed nuts, ¼ cup chocolate chips, ¼ cup chopped dragon fruit
To Use Powdered Pitaya
- To use powdered pitaya in this recipe, replace the frozen pitaya with 1 cup of yogurt or two frozen bananas, and stir in 3 tablespoons of powdered pitaya.
Incredible smoothie flavor!
So in love with your pink nicecream bowl! I should really make more nicecream bowls, but every time I make one it melts within seconds and I have no time to make a photo, haha. Teach me how you do it, your pics are wonderful! 😀
Ela, nicecream is SOOOO hard to photograph, I agree! Seriously, for every photo I "approve" and post, there are dozens I toss and just eat bowl, haha. Thank you for stopping by! Dee xx
These nicecream bowls are so stunning! I love the vibrant pink colour the dragonfruit gives. And the star shaped toppings are too cute! 😀
Nadia! Thank you sweet pea! So happy you like my pink treat! Dee xx