Easy sauteed mushrooms with scallions are coated with a caramelized sauce and are perfect as a side or to top burgers or sandwiches, and take only 10 minutes to make on the stove with just 4 ingredients.
Easy sauteed mushrooms with scallions can be made with just about any mushrooms, but smaller ones will produce a more uniform result once sliced. They are rich with spices and flavor and the perfect form to use as a side, to serve on toast, to top burgers and sandwiches, and even as a mix in with pasta, quinoa and rice dishes.
Also, mushrooms are terrifically nutritious, high in potassium, iron, copper and zinc. They are also free of fat, low in calories, cholesterol-free, naturally gluten-free, and low in sodium. And this mushroom dish is perfect for all diets. To keep these sauteed mushrooms dairy free and vegan, use dairy free butter.
Mushrooms. Baby bella or white button, sliced in half
Butter. I used dairy free.
Olive oil. Add very little, just enough to keep butter from smoking.
Scallions. These are green onions or chop white onions finely.
Optional flavoring. Balsamic vinegar, soy sauce or wine or whiskey
See the recipe card at the bottom for full information on ingredients and quantities.
Step by Step Instructions
For more detail, visit the complete and printable recipe at the bottom of this post, but here are general steps.
Step 1: Wash the mushrooms under running water, rubbing away dirt. Pat dry or dry in a salad spinner. Do not submerge mushrooms in a bowl of water or they will become water-logged.
Step 2: Heat a sauce pan on medium low heat and add the butter and oil.
Step 3: Add the mushrooms, herbs to the pan and raise the heat to medium. Spread mushrooms into an even level and allow to cook for 4 minutes without disturbing to develop a crust on one side. If you are going to deglaze, add the liquid now.
Step 4: Stir up and cook another 3 minutes, 5 minutes if you are deglazing. Fold in the scallions. Serve immediately.
Optional Deglazing. Deglazing is when you add a liquid that will help remove some flavorful bits stuck to the pan. I like to add balsamic vinegar, but soy sauce or wine also works. Add 2 teaspoons of your chosen liquid, and stir until the liquid has evaporated.
The key to developing a crusted coating on one side is to not stir the first 5 minutes.
Add more garlic cloves to the mushrooms to make sauteed garlic.
Refrigerate. Sauteed mushrooms can stay fresh refrigerated for 4 days.
Frozen. I would not freeze them as they will become soggy.
More Mushroom Recipes
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the 📝 comments below. Thanks for visiting!
Easy Sauteed Mushrooms with Scallions
- sauce pan
- 1 pound mushrooms, baby bella or white button [2 (8-ounce) packages]
- 2 tablespoon butter melted
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 scallions, one bunch, chopped
- Wash the mushrooms under running water, rubbing away dirt. Pat dry or dry in a salad spinner. Slice the mushrooms into ¼-width slices.
- Heat a sauce pan on medium low heat and add the oil and butter until melted, abut 15 seconds.2 tablespoon butter, 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and raise the heat to medium. Spread mushrooms into an even level on pan and cook for 4 minutes without disturbing.1 pound mushrooms, baby bella or white button
- Optional: If you are deglazing or adding 2 teaspoons of balsamic vinegar or wine, add it now.
- Stir and cook another 3 minutes. Fold in the scallions. Serve immediately.1 scallions, one bunch, chopped