An easy Asian shiitake mushroom stir fry ready in 10 minutes and wonderfully filling with seasoned broccoli and cauliflower. This dish is high in essential nutrients using shiitake mushrooms which add a delicious umami flavor.
This easy shiitake mushroom stir fry is a healthy dinner that can boost your immune system and is so easy to throw together with few ingredients. Cauliflower and broccoli were used here with Shiitake mushrooms, and, like all of my entree recipes, the result is a tasty, filling nutrition booster. If you like low carb cauliflower dishes, consider also trying my cauliflower steaks. Also, this easy recipe can be a meal, a side or even an appetizer offering just like my easy zucchini pizza bites.
Why You'll Love This
Easy mushroom stir fry. This dish is really easy to toss together in a skillet. Since you are steaming the vegetables in the microwave first, the stir fry cooking in a skillet goes extra fast.
Delicious savory mushroom stir fry. It really tastes like a delicious Asian recipe with the use of liquid aminos (or coconut aminos if you need to avoid soy and gluten). And with the mushrooms, there is a umami flavor as well.
Nutrition of shiitake mushrooms. Shiitake mushrooms, cooked or dried, can reduce inflammation and boost immune systems.
Shiitake mushrooms. Mushrooms are the star of this dish. Look for fresh shiitakes and treat them gently as they are delicate.
Cauliflower. It's faster to buy microwavable bags but if you buy fresh, steam it before adding it to the stir fry skillet. That way the mushrooms aren't overcooked.
Broccoli. Again, I recommend buying microwavable bags or steaming before adding to the stir fry.
Onions. These are the backbone of the dish's flavor. You can use yellow or white onions.
Fresh Garlic. Chop fresh cloves.
Ginger root. Choose fresh for a strong zingy flavor.
Soy sauce. Choose your favorite brand or use an alternative such as liquid aminos or coconut aminos.
Olive oil. A less processed and more nutritious oil to help the stir fry come together.
See the recipe card at the bottom for full information on ingredients and quantities.
Mushrooms: It's fine to swap out shiitake mushrooms for white caps or baby bellas.
Veggies: It's also fine to use any veggies you have on hand, including brussel sprouts, asparagus and even green beans.
Soy sauce. The soy sauce can be just that, or liquid aminos or coconut aminos, depending on your needs and taste. As I noted before, soy sauce and liquid aminos are made from soy and are quite salty. Coconut aminos are lower in salt, do not contain soy and are gluten-free.
Step by Step Instructions
For more detail, visit the complete recipe at the bottom of this post, but here are general steps.
Step 1: Wash the mushrooms by putting them in a strainer and gently lifting them under running water. Dab them dry. Chop the onions, garlic, and ginger.
Step 2: Steam, blanche or microwave the broccoli and cauliflower so they are still crunchy but steamed.
Step 3: Heat a skill with olive oil, and toss in the onions, garlic and ginger, sautéing until the onions are translucent, around 3 minutes.
Step 4: Add in the mushrooms first, toss them with the onions and then press the mushrooms periodically into the hot metal of the pan to ensure they cook through, about 7 minutes.
Step 5: Add in the steamed broccoli and steamed cauliflower and toss to fully flavor the vegetables and heat them through, about a minute or two.
Step 6: Transfer to a bowl and serve with a choice of sauce on the side. The dish is quite bland without the sauce, but I think it is important to allow each person to add the amount to their own taste.
Wash the mushrooms carefully. Shiitake mushrooms are delicate so I add them to a strainer and rinse them gentle and pat them dry on a paper towel.
Do not want to burn the ginger and garlic.
Choose your favorite sauce. Choose soy sauce or liquid aminos for a lower sodium version or coconut aminos for those who cannot eat soy or gluten.
Don't add too much sauce. Too much can overwhelm the subtle mushroom umami tones.
Shiitake mushrooms should not be eaten raw for best digestion. Cook at least 7 minutes, and press into the surface of the pan to be sure the mushrooms get fully cooked.
Portbella mushrooms are large with a meaty texture, Shiitake mushrooms are soft and cushiony, while Baby Bellas are more chewy. All of them have a umami flavor, while Shiiitake also has a more smokey aftertaste.
More Easy Veggie Dishes
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the 📝 comments below. Thanks for visiting!
Shiitake Mushroom Stir Fry
- 3 cups shiitake mushrooms (12 ounces)
- 1 cups of cauliflower steamed
- 1 cups broccoli steamed
- ½ cup yellow onion sliced
- ½ cup green onions sliced'
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoon ginger chopped
- 4 tablespoon soy sauce liquid aminos or coconut aminos
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- Rinse the mushrooms gently, and pat them a bit dry.
- Steam the broccoli and cauliflower in a steamer on the stove or use microwavable bags to steam the veggies in a microwave. Or blanche them. Set aside to drain but cover so they remain warm.
- Peel the yellow onion, cut in half, and chop into slivers.
- Chop off the ends of the green onions (scallions), and chop off the feathery rooted end as well. Chop what's left into ½ inch discs.
- Scrap off the ginger skin with the back of a spoon, chop the ginger into tiny chunks.
Make Mushroom Stir Fry
- Heat the oil in a skillet and add the onions. Stir fry for 3 minutes until the onions become translucent.½ cup yellow onion, 2 tablespoon olive oil, ½ cup green onions
- Add the garlic, ginger, and stir to combine for 5 seconds. Then quickly add the mushrooms and combine all and stir fry for 7 minutes or until mushrooms look limp and browned. Stir and the fold the mixture continually so each mushroom has a turn on the skillet surface.3 cloves garlic, 2 teaspoon ginger, 3 cups shiitake mushrooms (12 ounces)
- Add the veggies and stir and fold the mixture again so all are combined and heat them through, about a minute or two.1 cups of cauliflower, 1 cups broccoli
- Toss in soy sauce and serve immediately.4 tablespoon soy sauce
- Refrigerate leftovers in a covered container for three days. Reheat in microwave to serve.