Homemade coconut yogurt, a quick delicious way to make homemade yogurt using coconut milk! Full of antioxidants and other essential nutrients.
Homemade coconut yogurt is easy to make and that is good news for those who want to eat a dairy-free yogurt.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
Easy and cost-effective. Plant-based yogurts are expensive, but to make it homemade all you need are a few ingredients and time.
Delicious & tangy. My version is tangy and rich with probiotics although it is a faux yogurt, as in no fermentation is involved. Instead of fermenting, I add probiotics from a capsule. If you are adept at using yogurt starters and have a yogurt maker, you can go that route. My recipe is a shortcut.
- coconut milk - I use canned, full fat.
- probiotic capsule - Add two capsules if you want your yogurt more tangy. I use the brand RenewLife.
- maple syrup - A sweetener
- lemon juice - for tangy flavor
About the Probiotic Capsule
Read the label and be sure your probiotic capsule contains common fermenting bacteria such as bulgaricus, acidophilus and lactobacillus.
Vegans need to be careful to avoid lactobacillus because it is grown on a dairy source. I suggest RenewLife brand.
Steps to Make
Step 1: Stir all the ingredients to make the yogurt. Do not blend, the metal blades can damage the probiotics.
Step 2: Cover the yogurt container with a paper towel to let in air, and store at room temperature for 24 hours.
Step 3: Once 24 hours is up, refrigerate it to chill it. Once chilled it is ready to eat.
Store refrigerated and eat within two days.
Other Breakfast Recipes
I invite you to keep up with me on: Facebook | Pinterest | Instagram | Food Gawker | Twitter
Don't miss a thing, subscribe here to get recipes delivered to your inbox!
If you try my recipes, please leave a comment and rating below and tag me on your Instagram or Facebook post with @greensmoothiegourmet and #greensmoothiegourmet so I can see and share your remakes!!
Homemade Coconut Yogurt
- 1 (13.5oz) can coconut milk (canned, BPA-free, shaken to combine liquids and solids before use)
- 1 capsule quality probiotic tips in notes
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Make sure the coconut milk can is at room temperature, and shaken up so the fat has not separated out. Make sure the maple syrup and lemon juice is also at room temperature or warm slightly in the microwave at 5-10 seconds.
- Add all the ingredients to a dry glass bowl. Use two probiotic capsules for more tang.1 (13.5oz) can coconut milk, 1 capsule quality probiotic, 1 teaspoon maple syrup, 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Stir with a spoon or rubber spatula. Do not use a blender or food processor or mixer as the metal blades can damage the probiotics.
- Cover the yogurt container with a paper towel to let in air.
- Store in a dry dark place at room temperature for 24 hours.
- Refrigerate after 24 hours. Eat once chilled for best flavor.
- Store in covered glass jars refrigerated and eat within 48 hours (after the initial 24 hours).