Healthy vegan vanilla fudge recipe that is easy to make, melts in your mouth and is made from healthy whole foods and superfoods if you want to color it. The perfect healthy treat to hand around during any holiday or ordinary day!
Colorful Vegan Vanilla Fudge Recipe
This vegan vanilla fudge recipe is the stuff of healthy candy store dreams! The bites are hard but melt in your mouth. And are made of only 3 ingredients for the base.
The color is provided by adding a favorite superfood to the base to play with colors. I added blue spirulina for the blue, and goji berry powder for the pink. You might also consider using matcha for green, and turmeric for yellow or think of other ways to create a nutritional color.
So what is the main ingredient in this mouth-watering yet healthy vanilla fudge? It's coconut butter.
Coconut butter is highly nutritious, so handing these over to family members at treat time is going to be a pleasure.
How Healthy is Coconut Butter?
You are providing a candy that is high in protein, fiber and minerals. Just 2 tbsp of coconut butter has about 2g of protein and 5g of fiber. It is also full of minerals including potassium, phosphorus, and magnesium. Compare that nutrition with the traditional vanilla fudge made from refined sugar and fatty heavy cream.
And this doesn't even count the added nutrition in the colorful superfoods. Spirulina adds a perfect protein, and a slew of other body-necessary nutrients, while goji berries are a mood-booster among other benefits.
How To Make Homemade Coconut Butter
I sometimes buy ready-made coconut butter in jar. Nutiva is a great brand.
But it is so easy to make it at home if you have a high-speed blender that more and more I am just making it at home. How? Easy! Buy shredded coconut in a bag. Bob's Red Mill has a wonderful version.
And make sure it is fresh, unsweetened, and do not get coconut flakes. It must be shredded. To make the butter, blend up 2 cups of shredded coconut in a high speed blender for about 2-4 minutes. The mixture will require loosening during the blend.
I have a Blendtec twister jar that allows me to stir the mixture while it blends. It is actually a very unique option.
Most high speed blenders require you to stop blending, remove the top, stir by hand, restore the top and continue blending. So it is possible if you don't have a twister jar, your blending time might take longer.
Pretty soon you'll get to creamy creamy coconut butter. Store at room temperature in a jar!
How to Make this Vanilla Fudge Recipe?
Melt or make your coconut butter. To melt store-bought, just put jar into a pot of just boiled water and stir around until it melts. You can also have the water on simmer, but don't let the jar burn.
To make homemade, just blend up shredded coconut. Should be fresh, takes only a few minutes in a high-speed blender.
Divide the melted coconut butter into as many containers as you intend to make colors. Add in the superfood to each to make a color, then pour the mixtures in your own pattern into a silicon mold. Sprinkle with toppings and set aside to set. I used a mini-square mold to achieve this shape. And the sprinkles I used include my own homemade healthy-ish crystallized ginger, grab the recipe here!
These bites will solidify at room temperature, and to eat, just let them melt in your mouth. You can probably store them long-term in the freezer, making them also "freezer fudge."
Are you on pinterest, perhaps share this image...
Don't miss a thing, subscribe here to get recipes delivered to your inbox!
Colorful Vegan Vanilla Fudge Recipe
To create the white fudge base:
- Melt the coconut butter in a sauce pan over very low heat, stirring constantly. Be very careful not to burn it. Some people use a microwave to melt it, but it always burns using that method for me; still, you might find that easier.
- Once the coconut butter is melted, stir in the sugar, vanilla and salt until all is smooth.
- Divide into three parts and stir 1 tsp of your pink superfood choice in one part, and and 1 tsp of your blue superfood choice into the other.
To make a slanted pattern:
- Spoon the colored layer into the mold at a slant, and set it slanted in the freezer for 1 hour.
- Then spoon the white layer, and add in vegan sprinkles and some crystallized ginger (my recipe for the crystallized ginger is here).
- Keep the fudge bites in the freezer and set out about 5-10 minutes before eating them.
Homemade Coconut Butter (optional)
- Buy unsweetened shredded coconut (must be fresh, must be only coconut), and blend or process for 7-8 minutes. If the brand is clean enough, and if the coconut is fresh enough, you will have a silky smooth coconut butter. It will harden of course, but keep refrigerated and melt on stove when you want to use it.