This delicious and healthy cream is made with nutritious cashews and served as a cream, a frosting and a smoothie. A vegan and dairy-free as well as versatile recipe.
Whipped Cashew Cream 3 Ways
I like recipes that can multi-task, don't you?
Whipped cashew cream can be made with just 3 ingredients, so it is sensible to make one batch and use it as the base in several recipes. And cashews are high in vitamins E, K, and B6, and essentials minerals, and protein - 40 grams per cup!
Considered full of healthy fats, cashew-based recipes can carry you through the morning.
Here, I made whipped cashew cream, blueberry cashew cream, and changed their forms. By that, I mean I served them as smoothie bowls, heart cashew cream bites, and cupcake frosting.
And everything begins with a simple 3-ingredient whipped cashew cream recipe. If you enjoy cashew cream, try my chocolate-y dessert treasure, Fudge Ripple Cashew Cream Parfait here.
How to Make Whipped Cashew Cream
Very simple. Soak your nuts. If you soak them cold in the refrigerator overnight, you retain all their nutritional value. Rinse the next day to remove the phytic acid and enzyme inhibitors that can mess with your digestion. And tada! You have nuts ready to be blended into a creamy dream.
How to Make Whipped Cashew Cream Plain
Just make it and refrigerate it and eat it.
How to Make Whipped Cashew Cream Blueberry Flavored
Make cashew cream, take a portion and blend it with fresh blueberries, and swirl the blue and white versions together!
How to Make Cashew Cream Frosting
Add in a stabilizer or even mix in some coconut cream. Pipe and sprinkle. Yum.
How to Make Cashew Cream Smoothies
Just make cashew cream, mix in your choice of fruit and nuts, pour in a bowl or in a glass and spoon or sip away! Or even pour into a mold and freeze for smoothie bites.
Can You Make Cashew Cream in a Food Processor?
Yes, if your nuts aren't totally soft though it won't be as creamy as a blender would get them.
Do You Need A High Speed Blender Like Blendtec or Vitamix?
No! Just be sure to soak those nuts for at least 8 hours.
Can You Make Cashew Cream With Other Nuts?
Well, you'll have to change the name but I have made almond cream and macadamia cream using the same method.
Can You Make Cashew Cream Nut-Free or Low Carb?
Again, name change baby! However, try hemp cream instead of cashew cream.
Hemp seeds have a nice balance of protein and quality fat but are low in carbs. Here is one hemp seed cream parfait recipe of mine that uses sweet cream made from hemp seeds!
One thing to note, if you want the frosting pipable, it won't ever be as stiff as traditional buttercream (as you can see from my droopy cupcake frosting, haha).
However, adding a stabilizer to the frosting will at least let you pipe something. I have been experimenting with stabilizers. I found that adding 1 tsp of cornstarch to the recipe will be most effective in stiffening the cream, but it can leave a gritty taste. Next best performer is ½ tsp of cream of tartar.
On pinterest? Perhaps share this image.
Don't miss a thing, subscribe here to get recipes delivered to your inbox!
If you try my recipes, please leave a comment and rating below and tag me on your Instagram or Facebook post with @greensmoothiegourmet and #greensmoothiegourmet so I can see and share your remakes!!
Whipped Cashew Cream Served Three Ways
For plain whipped cashew cream
- 2 cups cashews soaked overnight
- ⅔ cup water
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- pinch of vanilla powder
For Blueberry-flavored whipped cashew cream
- add ½ cup frozen blueberries
For Plain Whipped Cashew Cream
- Soak the cashews overnight - the longer they soak, the creamer your cashew cream. The quality and freshness of the cashews affects their creaminess also; I buy mine raw and whole in bulk from a local high-end grocery store which always stocks them fresh. Whole Foods Markets also carry good quality cashews under their house brand 365.
- In a high speed blender, blend up the cashews, water, maple syrup, and a pinch vanilla powder. Keep whipped cashew cream refrigerated and use within 2 days or less.
For Blueberry Whipped Cashew Cream
- Keep ½ cup of the vanilla cashew cream aside, and add the blueberries to what remains in the blender. Blend smooth.To make the blueberry cashew cream smoothie bowls, just pour the blueberry cashew cream in bowls and top with fruit and nuts, and a swirl of the white cashew cream.
To Use in Molds or as Frosting
- To make the heart cashew cream bites, spoon the purple cashew cream into the heart shaped mold (see link in ingredients).
- Freeze 3 hours. These creamy healthy bites make wonderful snacks or toppings for your smoothie bowl.
- To make the cupcake frosting, you'll need to add a stabilizer. Adding 1 tsp of cornstarch will be most effective in stiffening the cream, but it can leave a gritty taste. Next best performer is ½ tsp of cream of tartar.Once you have your texture, just fill a piping bag with both white and purple whipped cashew cream, and pipe onto a cupcake using a 1M Wilton tip.
Dee Dine is founder of Green Smoothie Gourmet, a plant based recipe blog, and author of the recent cookbook, Crazy Healthy with 4 Ingredients and another immunity-boosting smoothie shot book, 4-Ingredient Smoothies + Juices , due out in January 2021. On this blog you'll find incredibly easy recipes with hidden veggies for anyone wanting to eat healthier, regardless of diet. Dee has graduate degrees in sciences and journalism, editor at The Feedfeed and a nutritional expert at WikiHow. More about Dee Dine here.