This banana coffee cake with streusel topping is a combination banana bread and cinnamon coffee cake. This moist banana crumble cake requires exactly 2 ripe bananas, is dairy free and the perfect indulgent breakfast.
You'll love this banana coffee cake with streusel topping because it is a delicious, sweet cake, soft and moist from sweet overripe bananas. Make this moist banana crumble cake easily with a blender and a single bowl. It is dairy free, vegan and the perfect cinnamon flavored breakfast.
Enjoy with a glass of homemade oat milk, a hot chocolate for one, or a single serving lemonade. If you enjoy healthy snack cakes, try my chocolate zucchini bread, my chocolate chip loaf cake or my healthy pumpkin bread.
Why You'll Love This
1. This banana bread coffee cake is soft and moist with cinnamon streusel topping, the perfect breakfast snack cake and requires 2 ripe bananas.
2. Perfect for all diets, including dairy free, eggless, vegan, paleo, gluten free if use a gluten free flour.
3. Easy to make ahead and freeze.
Bananas. Overripe with brown spots on peel will give you the sweetest flavor.
Milk. I used dairy free.
Sugar. Use cane sugar.
Yogurt. Use plain, I used dairy free. Or use dairy free sour cream.
Butter. Softened to room temperature, or softened in a microwave at 15 seconds.
Flour. Use all purpose or gluten free baking flour.
Baking powder and salt
Cinnamon streusel ingredients: Flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, butter and walnuts
See the recipe card at the bottom for full information on ingredients and quantities.
Step by Step Instructions
For more detail, visit the complete and printable recipe at the bottom of this post, but here are general steps.
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line an 8-inch square pan with parchment paper. Microwave the butter for 5-10 seconds to soften.
Step 2: In a small bowl, mix together the cinnamon streusel topping ingredients with a fork.
Step 3: Cut up the butter into small chunks. Set the bowl in the freezer while you make the cake batter.
Step 4: To a blender, combine the banana, milk, sugar, yogurt, and butter. Blend about 30 seconds or until creamy.
Step 5: Add flour, baking powder and salt to a mixing bowl. Add the blended mixture to that and use a spoon or hand mixer to combine.
Step 6: Add half the batter into the pan and spread half the crumble mixture. Add the rest of the batter and spread the rest of the crumble.
Step 7: Bake the cake for 45-50 minutes at 350 F. Test the center of the cake with a knife to see if it comes out clean to indicate the cake is done. Cool before cutting to serve.
Storage: Store this moist coffee cake in a sealed container at room temperature for up to 2 days or in refrigerator for 5 days. Or freeze for up to one month.
Instead of a blender, you can use a mixer but it might take some work because the bananas need to be broken into a puree.
Make the streusel topping first and set it to chill so it doesn't melt fast in the oven.
You can use a smaller pan for a higher cake. For example, you can use an 8-inch round pan, or a 7-inch round pan, or even a 6-inch pan and make 3 muffins.
Apple Banana Coffee Cake: Add diced apples to the streusel mix.
Walnut Banana Nut Coffee Cake: Add crushed walnuts to the streusel mix.
Cream cheese glaze. Make a glaze by stirring together 2 tablespoon milk, 1 cup of powdered sugar, and 2 tablespoons of cream cheese.
Fruit Coffee Cake: Add blueberries, chopped strawberries or cranberries to the streusel and a few tablespoons to the batter.
Coffee cakes are topped with a crumble or streusel whereas cake is normally frosted with frosting.
Ripe bananas, indicated by multiple black spots on the yellow peel, are sweeter and softer than green bananas, or bananas that are not ripe and thus are best for baking banana bread or this banana coffee cake.
No, you don't need to add eggs because the bananas themselves provide the structure and texture that eggs add.
Yes, you can use this recipe to make muffins. Line a muffin pan with paper liners, spoon the batter in to fill them ⅔ of the way, sprinkle on the streusel and bake for 20 minutes at 350 F.
More Snack Cakes (dairy free, egg free)
More Banana Recipes
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the 📝 comments below. Thanks for visiting!
Banana Coffee Cake with Streusel Topping
- Mixing bowls
- 8-inch square or round cake pan
- 2 bananas, ripe, peeled and cut into chunks
- ½ cup (118ml) milk I used almond milk to keep it dairy free
- ½ cup (100g) cane sugar
- ¼ cup yogurt, plain I used dairy free
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 1 ½ cup (186g) all purpose flour or gluten free baking flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (62g) all purpose flour or gluten free baking flour
- ⅔ cup (134g) brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup butter, chilled
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line an 8-inch square pan with parchment paper. Microwave the butter for 10 seconds to soften.
- In a small bowl, mix together the cinnamon streusel topping ingredients with a fork. Cut up the butter into small chunks. Set the bowl in the freezer while you make the cake batter.½ cup (62g) all purpose flour, ⅔ cup (134g) brown sugar, 2 tablespoon cinnamon, ¼ cup butter, chilled
- To a blender, combine the banana, milk, sugar, yogurt, and butter. Blend about 30 seconds or until creamy.*2 bananas, ripe, peeled and cut into chunks, ½ cup (118ml) milk, ½ cup (100g) cane sugar, ¼ cup yogurt, plain, ¼ cup butter, softened
- Add flour, baking powder and salt to a mixing bowl. Add the blended mixture to that and use a spoon or hand mixer to combine.1 ½ cup (186g) all purpose flour, 2 teaspoon baking powder, ½ teaspoon salt
- Add half the batter into the pan and spread half the crumble mixture. Then add the rest of the batter and spread the rest of the crumble.
- Bake the cake for 50-55 minutes at 350 F. Test the center of the cake with a knife to see if it comes out clean to indicate the cake is done. Cool before cutting to serve.