A moist chocolate chip loaf cake that is soft and full of mini chocolate chips and made with 5 main healthy ingredients. This dairy free and gluten-free snack cake is filling, healthier and made in one bowl.
Chocolate chip loaf cake is a quick and easy way to get your chocolate chip fix made with healthy ingredients. Of course, you could also try my chocolate chip cookie cake, or edible chocolate chip cookie dough, or healthy chocolate chip muffins with oats, or even my soft applesauce chocolate chip cookies which are basically a healthy copycat of Entenmann's soft chocolate chip cookies.
Like my banana coffee cake, and my chocolate zucchini bread, this chocolate chip snack cake is soft and moist, and not too sweet. A slice of this chocolate chip snack cake goes down deliciously with a cold glass of banana milk, single serve lemonade, a hot chocolate for one.
Why You'll Love This
Easy one bowl quick cake. Mix the ingredients up in a bowl, pour in a loaf pan and bake. Easy peasy!
A make-ahead breakfast bread. It's the perfect breakfast bread because it's easy to make ahead and refrigerate. Have a slice of cake for your first meal of the day. And customize with more protein and fruit by adding nuts, chia seeds, and chunks of apple.
Quick bread for everyone. This chocolate chip snack cake is gluten free, nut free, egg free and can easily be dairy free (vegan)!
Flour. Use all purpose flour or gluten-free baking flour for a light texture. Oat flour is possible but the cake will be heavier. I left instructions in recipe notes.
Yogurt. Make sure it is at room temperature. Use a high fat yogurt to help create a moist cake texture. I used unsweetened almond yogurt.
Cane sugar. Any granulated sugar works but I find organic cane sugar, which is unrefined and unbleached, tastes infinitely better.
Milk. Make sure it is at room temperature. Again, the higher the fat, the better your cake texture. I used almond milk.
Applesauce. Use unsweetened and look for only apples in the ingredients. This is your egg replacer. Applesauce works as a binder just as eggs do because apples are high in pectin which acts as a thickening agent and stabilizer in food.
Chocolate chips. I strongly recommend using mini chocolate chips to ease in slicing as the smaller size prevents the tearing of the cake. Use quality store bought or make your own using my how to make chocolate chips recipe.
Support ingredients. Lemon juice, baking soda, baking powder, vanilla, salt
See the recipe card at the bottom for full information on ingredients and quantities.
Step by Step Instructions
For more detail, visit the complete and printable recipe at the bottom of this post, but here are general steps.
Step 1. Make sure yogurt is at room temperature. Preheat the oven to 350F.
Line the loaf pan with a long sheet of parchment paper so the sides hang over the long sides. Add the lemon juice to the milk and set it aside.
Step 2. Add the wet ingredients and sugar to a mixing bowl, and stir until the sugar is melted.
Step 3. Set a fine mesh strainer over the bowl, add the dry ingredients. I scoop the flour using the spoon and level method, but you can use a scale instead. Mix until just combined. Do not over mix or the texture will turn chewy.
Step 4. Pour the batter into the parchment-lined loaf pan, and dot the top with mini chocolate chips.
Step 5. Slide the pan into the center of the oven, and bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. Remove the pan from the oven.
Step 6. Let the loaf cool 20 minutes in the pan. Then lift the loaf out of the pan using the parchment paper handles and let it cool longer on a cooling rack.
Measuring flour carefully. Quick breads have less moisture than other breads, so be sure to measure your flour carefully as too much will make for a dry bread. I use the scoop and level method, which means I loosen the flour in the bag with a fork, then spoon the correct amount into a measuring cup. I provided weight measurements as well if you want to use a kitchen scale.
Make sure all ingredients are at room temperature to start.
Don't fold in too many chocolate chips or else the cake won't bake properly.
Use mini chocolate chips to prevent the cake from tearing when you cut it. If mini chips are not possible, toss your chocolate chips in some flour to prevent chips from sinking or becoming clumped together during baking.
Don't open the oven door for at least 30 minutes of baking to avoid the rush of cold air that will disturb the loaf's baking process.
Don't over bake. Typically once the top is golden with darker brown edges, you can safely test with a tooth pick or even slim knife. You want the tester to be clear, although you'll hit some melted chocolate chips that will smear on the tester - don't mistake that for raw batter.
Make Ahead & Storage
This chocolate chip loaf cake is best the day you bake it, but it can be made ahead, sliced and each slice wrapped and refrigerated for up to a week or even frozen for up to 3 months.
1. Customize with mix-ins: Add ¼ cup of crush walnuts or ¼ cup chopped apples, or even ¼ cup chopped cranberries.
2. Choose a flavored yogurt. Choose plain or lemon or coconut or any other flavor yogurt to influence the flavor of the cake.
3. Add a chocolate glaze. Melt ½ cup of chocolate chips, stir in 2 tablespoons of warmed milk and microwave for 30 seconds. Repeat microwave for 15 seconds if the chips need to be further melted. Stir the glaze until creamy and pour over cooled cake.
A loaf cake or quick bread, are always baked in a loaf pan, either 5-inches by 9-inches or 4-inches by 8-inches in size. Loaf and quick bread batter also has a lower level of moisture which enables it to bake faster despite its height and not become gummy on the bottom.
To keep chocolate chips from sinking in the batter of a loaf cake, toss them in a few tablespoons of flour to coat them lightly before folding them into the batter. If you use mini chips instead of full size chocolate chips, this flour coating might not be necessary.
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the 📝 comments below. Thanks for visiting!
Chocolate Chip Loaf Cake
- Measuring cups & spoons
- Mixing bowl
- Hand mixer or stand mixer with paddle
- loaf pan, parchment paper
- Cooling rack
- 2 cups all purpose flour (250g) or gluten free baking flour*
- ⅓ cup yogurt (77g) use a high fat yogurt; I used almond
- 1 cup cane sugar (200g)
- ¾ cup milk (225 ml) room temperature
- ¼ cup applesauce, unsweetened (62g)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract or vanilla paste, which has stronger flavor
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Make sure yogurt is at room temperature. Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Line the loaf pan with a long sheet of parchment paper so the sides hang over the long sides.
- Add the lemon juice to the milk and set it aside for 5 minutes.¾ cup milk, 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Mix the loaf cake.
- To a large mixing bowl, add the sugar and wet ingredients. Mix with a hand mixer or spoon until the sugar is melted.⅓ cup yogurt, 1 cup cane sugar, ¾ cup milk, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 2 teaspoon vanilla extract, ¼ cup applesauce, unsweetened
- Set a strainer over the bowl, add the dry ingredients. I scoop the flour using the spoon and level method, but you can use a scale instead.2 cups all purpose flour, ½ teaspoon baking soda, pinch of salt
- Mix until just combined. Do not over mix or the texture will turn gummy.
- Pour the batter into the parchment-lined loaf pan, tap to even the top. Dot the top with more mini chocolate chips.
Bake the loaf cake.
- Slide the pan into the center of the oven, and bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.
- Let the loaf cool 20 minutes in the pan. Then lift the loaf out of the pan using the parchment paper handles and let it cool longer on a cooling rack.