My easy turmeric milk, also called golden milk or turmeric latte, is foamy and creamy, has extraordinary healing powers, benefits sleep and health, can be served warm or on ice. Make my single-serve recipe in minutes.
This golden milk recipe or turmeric latte, also called turmeric milk, is the perfect soothing drink before bed. It is easily made with just three ingredients, including ground turmeric powder, and is your immune system's favorite drink. Like my celery juice and my super easy blender ginger shots, this soothing drink is anti-inflammatory, detoxifying and disease protective.
What Is Turmeric Milk?
Turmeric milk is a potent healing drink, that support a range of issues regarding sleep, weight, aging, skin, and disease all by adding a simple ground spice, turmeric, to milk.
The drink originated in India, and dates back to ancient cultures who used it to drink for healing powers, to calm spirits and even as a clothing dye.[source] (Yes, turmeric is great at staining clothes and hands so beware.)
You only need three ingredients for this healthy milk.
1. Turmeric: You can use ground turmeric or buy fresh in the root section of the produce department in your grocery store. If you work with fresh, you'll need to chop it, blend it with milk and strain it. Be careful, turmeric stains fingers and clothes, mugs and blender jars.
2. Milk: You can use any kind of milk. The best dairy-free milk to use is cashew or almond as they will froth up the most. Coconut milk and oat milk are also suitable, although the coconut milk will impart a coconut flavor. Serve the drink over ice or warm in at 1 minute in the microwave.
3. Black Pepper: You must add black pepper to activate the benefits of the curcumin within the ground spice.
Steps to Make
Measurements and recipe details can be found in the recipe at the bottom of this post, but here are general steps.
Step 1: Just add ground turmeric and a pinch of pepper to a cup of milk. Microwave it for one minute, then froth it. I use a hand-frother so I can make this drink in literally 2 minutes or less. Or pour the frothed drink over ice to drink it cold.
- A cup, measuring spoon
- Hand milk frother. Here is my favorite.
Recipe Tips & Variations
1.Turmeric stains: Be careful, turmeric stains fingers, clothes, mugs and blender jars so I use a frother, make it in one mug I reserve for turmeric drinks.
2.Drink this drink hot or cold. I microwave my mug after I have stirred or frothed it, or I pour it over ice to drink it chilled.
3. Drinking one turmeric milk daily calms and fights inflammation among other benefits. However, drinking more can cause stomach upset among other issues.[source]
4. It's best to drink with a straw if you drink it daily as turmeric can stain teeth yellow.
5.Want it sweeter? Add some maple syrup. You can add other spices too such as cinnamon and ginger.
6. Use a milk with a level of fat content such as cashew milk, or almond milk. This will insure a creamier froth.
7. The easiest way to froth this golden milk is with a hand-frother, but if you don't have one simply pour the drink in a jar and shake hard.
7 Benefits of Turmeric Milk
The specific benefits of drinking turmeric milk are wide-ranging and include:
#1: Boosts Immunity with Antioxidants [source]
#2: Reduces Inflammation and Joint Swelling [source]
#3: Boosts Memory and Brain Power [source]
#4: Heightens Your Mood [source]
#5: Supports Your Heart [source]
#6: Lowers Blood Sugar Levels [source]
#7: May Block Diseases [source]
How Is Turmeric Milk Healthy?
Turmeric milk's strongest nutritional component is the spice turmeric, the same spice used in curry. It has a valuable compound called curcumin which is a powerful anti-inflammatory and a strong antioxidant.
An anti-inflammatory, like curcumin, is good for you because it is generally believed that low-level inflammation powers most diseases so controlling inflammation is the key to fight disease. And antioxidants, of course, are defenders against oxidative damage which is behind aging and disease. [source].
How Does Golden Milk Taste?
Golden milk, or turmeric milk or a turmeric latte, is a creamy drink with a spicy bite thanks to the pepper.
Is Turmeric Milk Hot or Cold?
It can be both! I microwave my mug after I have stirred or frothed it, or I pour it over ice to drink it chilled.
Why Add Pepper To Turmeric Milk?
The pepper is necessary to trigger the body to absorb the healthy curcumin. Either cayenne or black pepper is fine, and only a pinch is necessary.
Is it Good to Drink Turmeric Milk Everyday?
It's excellent to drink turmeric milk every day. Drink 1 cup a day, and see the anti-inflammation and sleep benefits within 2 weeks.
Is There Coffee in a Turmeric Latte?
No a turmeric latte does not contain coffee but it does contain milk, hence the "latte" in the name.
Does Drinking Golden Milk Have Side Effects?
If you drink more than one a day, the drink can cause stomach upset among other issues.[source]
Also if you drink turmeric lattes regularly, it's best to drink them with a straw if you drink it daily as turmeric can stain teeth yellow.
Other Immunity Drinks
If you try my recipes, please leave a comment and rating below and tag me on your Instagram post with @greensmoothiegourmet so I can see and share your remakes!!
I invite you to keep up with me on:
Instagram | TikTok | Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter
Subscribe HERE to get recipes delivered to your inbox!
Easy Turmeric Milk
- 1 cup dairy-free milk
- 1-2 teaspoon Turmeric ground powder or 1-2 teaspoon fresh chopped root
- pinch black pepper or cayenne pepper
Optional Flavor Additions
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
To make with Ground Turmeric
- Add milk, ground turmeric and pepper and other ingredients into a mug and froth with a hand frother or stir vigorously if you don't have a frother.1 cup dairy-free milk, 1-2 teaspoon Turmeric, pinch black pepper or cayenne pepper, 1 teaspoon maple syrup, ½ teaspoon ginger, ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- To warm, put in microwave for 1 minute. Sprinkle with cinnamon and you have a Golden Milk Latte!
- To serve cold, pour over ice or refrigerate.
To make with Fresh Turmeric root
- Chop ½-1 inch of root (unpeeled) which makes 1-2 teaspoon chopped. Add it and milk and pepper to a blender jar. However, beware that the turmeric can stain a blender jar so I'd advise using ground turmeric and make it in a mug dedicated to golden milk.
- If you do blend, pour the mixture through a strain and reserve the liquid as your golden milk.
- Drink a single mug fresh, but if you want to make several mugs at a time, do so and refrigerate for one week.