Cashew Cinnamon post-workout protein shake is a creamy spicy milkshake that will take your energy sky high and help you replenish and recover from a strenuous workout or just a busy day. Dairy-free, vegan and no banana.
Cashew Cinnamon Post-Workout Protein Shake
This Cashew Cinnamon post-workout protein shake is a creamy spicy milkshake. This healthy frosty treat can serve two purposes – one, to wipe out your next milkshake craving, and two, to refuel your body and replenish your muscles with the perfect post-workout meal!
Satisfy Cravings with a Cashew Cinnamon Post-Workout Protein Shake
I don’t have to explain further about the ice cream craving issue. But I will point out this shake is bursting with flavor. It’s perfect for breakfast, snack or dessert, and it might make you bound out of bed in the morning at the thought of making it!
How this Drinks Helps Muscles Recover from a Workout
And I would like to point out its merits as the perfect post-workout food. What you eat after your workout affects the success of your next one. Maybe you already know that.
After a workout, your muscles are depleted of glycogen, and have damaged protein. So you must restore and rebuild! That means eat protein, carbs and healthy fats.
Not a bucketful, but enough to kick off the restoration and building of your muscles so they will be fixed up and ready for the next workout! And you should eat it in a form that is quick to digest so the healing can begin fast.
This shake has those three elements. Protein and healthy fat from the cashew cream. Carbs from the rolled oats. And tons of other nutrients, including antioxidants and mood-boosting magnesium from the cacao nibs! And don’t forget the cinnamon.
Apart from adding a delicious spicy sparkle, cinnamon adds blood sugar control – I use Ceylon, remember? It has the least amount of coumarin, a substance that is toxic and found in higher levels in other cinnamon types, especially Saigon.
Make This Protein Shake
And one more pro-tip for an awesome flavor – use a high quality vanilla. I use powder, but scrapping vanilla pods might be better, if you can. The vanilla here really boosts the flavor of all other ingredients.
So whether you want the best post-workout snack, or just frosty glass of deliciousness, I think you’ll love this shake! And your next workout will thank you for it. Let’s make it!
Save the recipe on Pinterest using this image..
Don’t miss a thing, subscribe here to get recipes delivered to your inbox!
Cashew Cinnamon Post-Workout Vegan Protein Shake
- 2 cups raw cashews soaked in water overnight or for 1 hour in boiling water
- 1/2 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 2 tbsp cacao nibs (I use this brand)
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla powder (I use this brand)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup very optional - I found the cashews were sweet enough but if you prefer sweet creams, you might want to add the syrup
- Soak and rinse the cashews
- Blend them creamy, adding a touch of plant milk if you need to, to loosen it up.
- Throw in a handful of rolled oats, cinnamon, vanilla, and syrup (if you are using it).
- Blend until creamy.
- Add in the cacao nibs and blend in a quick burst - you don't want to break those up, just distribute them around.
- I refrigerate my shake a few hours, even freeze it for 15 minutes sometimes, just so it's frosty when I eat it, but you can eat it when you jolly well please. I served it here with a dollop of coconut cream, dark chocolate sauce lashings, and cinnamon, and tablespoon of cashew butter on the bottom for extra fun!
Dee Dine is founder of Green Smoothie Gourmet, a plant based recipe blog, and author of the recent cookbook, Crazy Healthy with 4 Ingredients . On this blog you’ll find incredibly easy recipes with hidden veggies for anyone wanting to eat healthier, regardless of diet. Dee has graduate degrees in sciences and journalism. More about Dee Dine here.