Chocolate Devil’s Food Cake with Pumpkin (vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free)
Pumpkin is a wondrous ingredient to put into chocolate cake. Like beets, it adds incredible nutrients and texture. In fact, pumpkin is loaded with the antioxidant beta-carotene, which is one of the plant carotenoids converted to Vitamin A in the body. Vitamin A is essential for healthy, glowing skin, strong eyesight, and our immune system.
And the frosting is an old family recipe, soft and creamy, like pillowy fudge.
Chocolate Devil's Food Cake with Pumpkin (vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Rub butter on inside of 3 (8-inch) cake pans to make a triple-layer cake or 2 (8-inch) cake pans for double layer cake.
- Dust with cacao powder, shake out the excess and set aside.
- Mix the almond milk and vinegar in a large mixing bowl, and let set for a few minutes to activate.
Make the Cake
- Mix up small bowl first. Add the ACV-activated plant milk, sugar, pumpkin puree, coffee, oil, and vanilla. Stir until combined.
- Mix up large bowl next. Add in flour, cacao, soda, powder (aluminum-free), and salt.
- Dry blend with a hand-mixer or spoon to thoroughly break up cacao clumps and combine mixture thoroughly.
- Add the small bowl (wet) to the large bowl (dry), and hand blend or stir until mixture is just creamy - avoid over blending.
- Divide batter evenly between your 3 cake pans (for triple layers) or 2 cake pans for double layer cake.
- Bake 25 minutes, or until a test comes out clean. Cool before removing from pan.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a pan that is sitting in boiling water. Don't let water touch chocolate mixture.
- Put the sugar into a large bowl, and pour the melted chocolate mixture on top. Add vanilla and hand-mix, adding in a tbsp or two of milk or more until your frosting is creamy and spreadable.
- Frost cooled cake!