Chocolate Devil’s Food Cake with Pumpkin (vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free)
Chocolate cake is magical, isn’t it?
But the thought of re-making it with a hidden veggie makes it more so. Here, I decided to add pumpkin to see what it would do for the texture.
As it turns out, pumpkin is a wondrous ingredient to put into chocolate cake. Like beets, it adds incredible moisture and texture. And nutrition.
Pumpkin: Why is it Healthy for You?
Adding pumpkin to baked goods is useful because no matter whether cooked or raw, pumpkin is loaded with the antioxidant beta-carotene, which is one of the plant carotenoids converted to Vitamin A in the body. Vitamin A is essential for healthy, glowing skin, strong eyesight, and our immune system. Pumpkin also adds Vitamin A, anti-oxidants, both of which support skin and eyesight, and it is packed with immunity-boosting nutrients.
Here, I frosted the cake with a frosting that is an old family recipe, soft and creamy, like pillowy fudge.
Chocolate Devil's Food Cake with Pumpkin (vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Rub butter on inside of 3 (8-inch) cake pans to make a triple-layer cake or 2 (8-inch) cake pans for double layer cake.
- Dust with cacao powder, shake out the excess and set aside.
- Mix the almond milk and vinegar in a large mixing bowl, and let set for a few minutes to activate.
Make the Cake
Mix up small bowl first. Add the ACV-activated plant milk, sugar, pumpkin puree, oil, and vanilla. Stir until combined.
- Mix up large bowl next. Add in flour, cacao, soda, powder (aluminum-free), and salt.
- Dry blend with a hand-mixer or spoon to thoroughly break up cacao clumps and combine mixture thoroughly.
- Add the small bowl (wet) to the large bowl (dry), and hand blend or stir until mixture is just creamy - avoid over blending.
- Divide batter evenly between your 3 cake pans (for triple layers) or 2 cake pans for double layer cake.
- Bake 25 minutes, or until a test comes out clean. Cool before removing from pan.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a pan that is sitting in boiling water. Don't let water touch chocolate mixture.
- Put the sugar into a large bowl, and pour the melted chocolate mixture on top. Add vanilla and hand-mix, adding in a tbsp or two of milk or more until your frosting is creamy and spreadable.
- Frost cooled cake!