A delicious creamy iced pumpkin spice latte, a Starbucks coffee copycat, blended in 5 minutes at home with delicious spicy flavors, and budget-friendly. Homemade iced lattes are better and this one is healthier, with real pumpkin puree, brown sugar, no dairy and only a third of the calories of the store-bought version.
Skip the drive thru, and head into your kitchen to make this homemade iced pumpkin spice latte. This refreshing coffee drink has only 123 calories and can be made for pennies compared to the $5-plus cost of the store-bought version.
Why You'll Love This
This delicious fall drink has at least 5 reasons to love it:
- It's healthier! My PSL has only 123 calories and 19 grams sugar, compared to a Starbucks' tall version with 370 calories and 45 grams of sugar.
- A delicious, iced coffee with rich pumpkin spice flavor.
- The Starbuck's version is a limited edition; you can make yours all year long.
- So much cheaper than store-bought; make in a glass in 5 minutes.
- Adjust for any diet, including dairy free, vegan, refined-sugar-free, gluten-free, paleo, and low carb.
Coffee. Cooled. Caffeinated or decaf, your choice! Go all out and brew a strong espresso coffee or stir up a flavorful instant. You might want to chill it though, so perhaps make it ahead of time and refrigerate.
Milk. Your choice. The higher the fat, the higher the calories but also the creamier the texture of your iced psl.
Pumpkin puree. Buy canned pumpkin puree with only pumpkin as the ingredients. Don't mistaken that for pumpkin PIE filling.
Brown sugar. To keep it refined sugar free, I used coconut sugar but any brown sugar is fine. Or use maple syrup or any liquid sweetener.
Vanilla extract. I used pure vanilla extract. Try for a good quality version. You need a warm vanilla flavor to boost the pumpkin spices.
Pumpkin pie spice. Buy store-bought or mix it up yourself. Here is my pumpkin pie spice recipe along with a few other seasonal spice recipes.
Salt. A pinch of your finest salt, perhaps sea salt if you have it, brings out all the pumpkin spice and vanilla flavors.
Ice cubes. I freeze some coffee to give my iced latte a stronger flavor, but regular ice is also fine.
Whipped cream, cinnamon powder (optional for the topping)
See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
Instead of Coffee. You can't remove coffee in this drink, but you have choices.
- Make it brewed. Use your favorite flavor coffee bean or an expresso for a bolder flavor.
- Make it instant. Double the teaspoons per cup that are recommended on the jar.
- Caffeinated or decaf. My favorite flavorful decaf brand is Mount Hagen, an organic, fair trade freeze-dried coffee.
Regarding milk. Use your favorite creamer, milk, and any dairy free options such as oat milk, almond milk, cashew milk, hemp milk, and even macadamia milk.
Instead of pumpkin puree. Or you can also use sweet potato puree and butternut squash puree, also canned.
Instead of brown sugar. Or use a liquid sweetener such as pure maple syrup or even date paste. Here is my date paste recipe - boost the water a bit so the date paste is more liquid and dissolves faster in your latte.
Step by Step Instructions
For more detail, visit the complete recipe at the bottom of this post, but here are general steps.
Step 1. Brew your coffee. You need ½ cup of coffee. Brew it in your coffee maker, or use a French press, Moka pot, espresso maker or Keurig machine. Or just boil a cup of water and toss in 4 teaspoons of instant coffee. Put the coffee in the freezer for 10 minutes to cool.
Step 2. Add to Blender. Add cooled coffee, milk, pumpkin puree, brown sugar, vanilla, pumpkin pie spices, and salt to a blender.
Step 3. Process. Process the iced PSL ingredients for about 30 seconds. Taste and adjust with sugar and spice if needed.
Step 4. Pour. Pour your delicious PSL over ice. Optional, add whipped cream and dust with cinnamon.
1. This iced pumpkin latte recipe makes a 10-to-12-ounce iced pumpkin spice latte, about the same size as a "tall" Starbucks drink.
2. Be sure to chill the freshly made coffee before adding it to the mixture, otherwise the ice will instantly melt and your iced pumpkin spice latte will be warm.
3. If you can plan ahead, make some coffee and freeze it in ice cube trays to have coffee ice cubes on hand.
Make it skinny. Use a low fat milk, and drop the whipped cream for a skinny iced pumpkin spice latte.
Make it nut-free by using a nut-free milk.
Make it dairy free and vegan, by using dairy free milk.
All the ingredients are naturally gluten-free.
Storage & Make Ahead
Storage. Store leftovers refrigerated for 2 days. For long term storage, pour in ice cube trays, then store cubes in freezer bags for up to 3 months.
Make ahead. Make multiple batches and store refrigerated in jars for two days, or freeze as ice cubes for up to three months.
More Pumpkin Recipes
Pumpkin spice is typically made with cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves. Use my homemade pumpkin pie spice recipe here.
Yes, Starbucks sells their pumpkin spice latte with steamed milk, hot, iced or blended. My recipe is a copycat of their iced PSL.
Yes, the iced pumpkin spice latte can have a strong espresso, or even a decaffeinated instant brew.
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the 📝 comments below. Thanks for visiting!
Iced Pumpkin Spice Latte (Starbucks copycat)
- 1 12-ounce glass
- blender or food processsor or jar with lid
- Make Coffee. You need ½ cup of coffee. Brew it in your coffee maker, or use a French press, Moka pot, espresso maker or Keurig machine. Or just boil a cup of water and toss in 4 teaspoons of instant coffee. Put the coffee in the freezer for 10 minutes to cool.
- Add cooled coffee, milk, pumpkin puree, brown sugar, vanilla, pumpkin pie spice, and salt to a blender.½ cup brewed coffee, ¾ cup milk, 3 tablespoon pumpkin purée, 2 teaspoon brown sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, pinch of salt
- Blend your latte. Blend for 30 seconds or until smooth.
- Fill a tall glass with regular ice cubes or coffee ice cubes. Pour blended pumpkin spice latte over ice.ice cubes
- Top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of pumpkin spice or cinnamon. Enjoy!