A rich chocolate peanut butter smoothie both high in protein and ribboned with healthy chocolate. Perfect healthy meal replacer and nut buttery treat.
This chocolate peanut butter smoothie is a powerhouse of protein, energy and nutrition, and satisfies your sweet tooth! Natural nut butters make smoothies healthier and full of protein. And adding vegetables are the best thing to add to a smoothie, just like I do in my strawberry smoothie and my chocolate beet smoothie. Frozen zucchini thickens just as easily as does banana.
Why a Peanut Butter Smoothie?
If you use a healthy peanut butter, the type with only peanuts in the ingredients, the resulting smoothie is going to be high in heart-healthy fats, and a great source of protein.
- Peanut Butter - Use a healthy brand, where the only ingredients are nuts and no added sugar.
- Cocoa Powder - Use unsweetened cocoa.
- Dates - Soak dates for ten minutes in just-boiled water and pit.
- Zucchini - Wash, chop and freeze. No peeling if you buy organic.
- Milk & Ice - I used dairy-free milk. You can also freeze the milk and not use ice cubes.
- Chocolate chips - Melted to drizzle inside the glass, although this is optional.
Steps to Make
To make this smoothie, follow these steps.
Step 1. Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave in increments of 30 seconds. Drizzle the chocolate on the inside of the glass.
Step 2. Blend up the milk, ice, chopped raw zucchini, peanut butter, chocolate and cinnamon.
Step 3. Pour it into the glass and drink right away!
Tips & Substitutions
1.Instead of using the common banana for a thickener, I use vegetables. In this case, zucchini. Buy it organic though, or peel it because zucchini is one of those vegetables that easily absorb pesticides. Steamed and cooled cauliflower is also an option.
2. Use maple syrup instead of dates to sweeten. Three tablespoons of maple syrup equal one date.
More Delicious Smoothies
- Chocolate Smoothie
- Ultimate Green Smoothie
- Healthy Strawberry Smoothie
- Chocolate Beet Smoothie
- Meal Replacement Shake
- Weight Loss Smoothie
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie
- Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
Are you on Pinterest? Perhaps save this recipe there using this image..
Don't miss a thing, subscribe here to get recipes delivered to your inbox!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie
- ½ cup dairy-free milk
- ½ cup ice
- ¾ cup zucchini chopped, not peeled, organic
- 2 tablespoon peanut butter or any nut butter
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1-3 dates soft or soaked 10 minutes, pitted, or use a tablespoon of maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon cold coffee amplifies chocolate flavor, but optional
- ⅛ teaspoon vanilla
- pinch cinnamon
Dark chocolate for sides of jar
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Combine all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. If you want it thicker, add more ice or zucchini or both. If you want it thinner, add more milk.½ cup dairy-free milk, ½ cup ice, ¾ cup zucchini, 2 tablespoon peanut butter, 2 tablespoon cocoa powder, 1-3 dates, 1 tablespoon cold coffee, ⅛ teaspoon vanilla, pinch cinnamon
- Taste test for sweetness. This brew isn't that sweet so more dates or even more maple syrup.
- To paint the jar with chocolate, simply melt the chips in the microwave for 45 seconds, stir until all chips are melted and use the back of a spoon to paint the jar.½ cup chocolate chips
- Drink right away to enjoy the frosty texture. Or store refrigerated for 24 hours, or pour into ice cube trays and freeze to blend another day.