This delicious pumpkin pie smoothie is full of fall flavors, and it is a celebration of the best of fall recipes, all in a delicious, healthy, easy-to-make smoothie!
Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
Yes, this fall we should eat lots of zucchini bread and pumpkin pie, but why not together in the form of a creamy, cinnamon-y pumpkin pie smoothie?
And down in Washington DC, where I live, fall months are often still warm so a chilly smoothie is most welcome on those unusually warm days. This smoothie is not just a celebration of fall spicy wonders, it is full of filling nutrition. The primary ingredients are cashew milk, mixed with spiralized zucchini and pumpkin puree.
How Healthy Is Pumpkin?
Pumpkin is endlessly fun and colorful, but it is so nutritious! Full of antioxidants, fiber and many vitamins, especially vitamin E, great for skin, and vitamin A and carotenoids, offering incredible eye protection.
Now, remember, pumpkin puree is a canned pumpkin that is not sweetened and has no other ingredients. It's best to buy a quality organic brand to be sure you are getting a pure product.
How Healthy Is Zucchini?
Zucchini is another prime ingredient. I spiralized it for this smoothie to make it easy to disappear in the blender. Since zucchini is primarily water, it disappears quite nicely in a high-speed blender, leaving behind a smoothie full of vitamins.
What does this squash add? Zucchini is full of vitamins B6, riboflavin, folate, C, and K, and minerals, like potassium and manganese. It is also full of disease-fighting antioxidants and anti-inflammatories. This smoothie is much easier to make than zucchini bread or pumpkin pie, just blend all ingredients and serve chilled.
How To Make A Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
Easy! Just prepare your ingredients. If you are using pumpkin puree, be sure to choose canned, bpa-free if possible, and the unsweetened kind. Don't use pumpkin pie filling! That is full of sugar. We want you to control the sugar in this smoothies.
If you can't find canned pumpkin puree you can boil and make homemade from a fresh pumpkin. Honestly, I've never done that but if you can, great! I have used canned sweet potato puree in place of pumpkin, or even butternut squash puree. Farmers Market Foods is my favorite brand if you can find it.
And spiralize the zucchini so it disappears in your smoothie.
Then blend, and taste-test to be sure it is sweet and spicy enough for you!
How to Make Pumpkin Pie Spice Mix
I have a recipe post here that provides instructions on how to make homemade spice collections for pumpkin pie spice, gingerbread spice and even chai spice. If you want to make them, not buy them, check out my spice guide post.
If you just want a quick blend for pumpkin pie spice, I make it by combining these ground spices: 6 tbsp cinnamon, 4 tsp ginger, 4 tsp nutmeg, 2 tsp allspice, 1 tsp cloves
How to Store a Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
I always recommend drinking a smoothie right away when nutrients are strongest, but you can usually refrigerate for 24 hours and get basically the same nutrients. You'll have to shake, stir or blend again though because layers will have separated.
I hope you love this delicious celebration of fall in smoothie form! Also, did you know? I have a smoothie book coming out soon! Read more about my NEW smoothie book here or watch my Instagram where I will be announcing it and a free giveaway soon!
Other Veggie Smoothie Recipes to Try
Other delicious smoothies you might like to try:
Don't miss a thing, subscribe here to get recipes delivered to your inbox! Are you on pinterest? Perhaps share this image..
Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
- 1 cup dairy free milk
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree (or sweet potato puree, either canned or homemade)
- ½ cup raw zucchini, spiralized
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (or 2 Medjool dates, soaked and pitted)
- 1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice (buy it or see my pumpkin pie spice recipe in recipe below)
- 2 baby carrots (optional)
- Prepare pumpkin puree. Either open a can of unsweetened pumpkin puree, or sweet potato puree, or even butternut squash puree, and measure out 1 cup.
- Or peel and boil either a pumpkin or sweet potatos until mushy - 45 minutes? - and blend with a bit of water until you have a fresh puree of either.
- Wash your zucchini, and spiralize or chop super finely. You want it to turn to water in your smoothie. You don't have to peel but you should peel at least roughly if you want it to disappear better - say for kids - or if you didn't buy organic.
- Blend, and taste it. If it is too watery, add more zucchini or puree, or even a bit of dairy-free yogurt. If it is not sweet enough, add a bit more maple syrup or dates. If it is not spicey enough, add more pumpkin pie spice.
- Pour in a tall glass, swirl in some yogurt. I also top with cinnamon, grated zucchini, a few walnuts and enjoy! Don't forget, tastes better with a glass straw!
- Drink right away for freshest flavor and nutrient potency. Or refrigerate for 24 hours and re-blend. You can also freeze in ice cube trays to be blended up later.
How to Make Pumpkin Pie Spice
- You can buy this flavor spice in the market. However, if you want to pull it together, use this blend: 6 tbsp cinnamon, 4 tsp ginger, 4 tsp nutmeg, 2 tsp allspice, 1 tsp cloves