A healthy strawberry smoothie with hidden zucchini, making it high in fiber and nutrients yet thick like a strawberry milkshake.
This strawberry smoothie is full of vegetables yet is still creamy and delicious. That's because strawberries have such a strong flavor that it's great at hiding vegetables where they normally aren't expected. Like my chocolate smoothie and my green smoothie sweetened with green grapes, the nutrients in hidden-veggie smoothies add up! It's delicious with any milk but especially my homemade oat milk.
Why You'll Love This
Creamy Texture: The texture is thick and creamy thanks to the zucchini and frozen strawberries.
Fruity Bright Flavor: I let the strawberry flavor shine here, and it helps this smoothie taste like a strawberry smoothie, and not like a candy smoothie. (candy is cool, but not as a smoothie flavor). And fresh lemon juice brightens the flavor.
Top Nutrition: The strawberries provide a ton of vitamin C and vitamin A, both immunity boosters. The zucchini offers fiber and essential minerals, and the chia seeds fiber, protein and omegas. The smoothie is awesome for all diets as well as vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, dairy-free, refined-sugar-free and plant-based.
The ingredients in this smoothie are simple, including strawberries, an additional fruit, a liquid and a thickener. Specifically they are:
Strawberries: I suggest you use frozen so your smoothie is chilled after blending.
Kiwi: Mango is also an option. Both boosts immunity, balances blood sugar, support even blood flow.
Zucchini: Use raw, not peeled, and organic if possible. It also provides fiber and a slew of vitamins.
Dairy Free Milk or Yogurt: Use your favorite! But watch the sugars in your choice.
Lemon Juice: So important to brighten the flavor. Fresh or organic bottled.
Chia seeds: Optional but they add fiber, antioxidants, minerals, and heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids.
Steps to Make
1. Measure out your ingredients.
2. Rinse and core the strawberries.
3. Rinse and chop the zucchini.
4. Peel the kiwi.
5. If you want a super cold smoothie, you can either freeze fresh ingredients now after you prepped them, or use one of them pre-frozen, such as strawberries since it's easy to buy a bag of frozen organic strawberries. And don't forget the lemon juice.
6. Put all ingredients in a blender and blend into a frothy smoothie! Drink it cold, over ice or in a mug with whipped cream.
Variations & Substitutions
Swap Zucchini for Banana. Swap out the zucchini for a frozen half banana, and turn this smoothie into a Strawberry Banana Smoothie. Bananas thicken smoothies and add a sweetener.
Swap Zucchini for Cauliflower. Cauliflower when steamed and even riced, makes the best high-fiber smoothie ingredient. It thickens and adds so much fiber and nutrition. But it does not contribute to the sweet flavor, so add a date or two to cover that.
- Use only fresh or frozen fruits and veggies, and use at least one of each but two is better.
- Use low sugar fruits such as berries, or if using high sugar fruits like mango, than use twice as much of the veggie.
- Use a healthy liquid, such as water, dairy free milk or coconut water
- Do not add any sweeteners, even maple syrup. Depend on the fruit for flavor.
- Flavor with herbs and spices such as ginger and lemon
- Do not use too many ingredients. The flavors will get muddled.
How to Sweeten A Strawberry Smoothie
In the interest of keeping this strawberry smoothie healthy, I would not suggest adding sweeteners. If you must because you think your strawberries are not sweet, then add 1-2 pitted Medjool dates. Dates will add iron, magnesium and fiber to your smoothie as well as sweeten it up.
Are Strawberry Smoothies Good for Your Skin?
Yes! They are rich in the natural collagen builder, vitamin C. Collagen, eaten naturally from fruits like strawberry, are said to be a natural anti-aging elixir helping skin stay smooth and supple and resistant to wrinkles.[source]
Strawberry Smoothies Help Control Weight
Strawberries are rich in bioactive compounds that fight unwanted weight gain on a level scientists are just beginning to understand.[source]
And of course, they are high in fiber and low in carbohydrates so whet appetites which also help stop weight gain.
How to Store
Drink the smoothie the same day to benefit from top frosty flavor and nutrition, but if you can't, refrigerate it for 24 hours or pour it into an ice cube tray to be blended up later.
More Delicious Smoothies
- Chocolate Smoothie
- Ultimate Green Smoothie
- Healthy Strawberry Smoothie
- Chocolate Beet Smoothie
- Meal Replacement Shake
- Weight Loss Smoothie
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie
- Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
I invite you to keep up with me on: Facebook | Pinterest | Instagram | Twitter
Don't miss a thing, subscribe here to get recipes delivered to your inbox!
If you try my recipes, please leave a comment and rating below and tag me on your Instagram post with @greensmoothiegourmet so I can see and share your remakes!!
Healthy Strawberry Smoothie
- 3 cups strawberries
- 1 cup kiwi, peeled (about 6)
- ½ cup zucchini, raw and not peeled, but organic
- 1 cup dairy free milk
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- Peel the kiwi, wash the zucchini. If using cauliflower instead, steam and refrigerate for 30 minutes to cool. Rinse berries, and cut off green stem from strawberries.
- Add all ingredients to a blender.3 cups strawberries, 1 cup kiwi, peeled (about 6), ½ cup zucchini, raw and not peeled, but organic, 1 cup dairy free milk, 2 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- Process until mixture is smooth.
- Enjoy immediately or refrigerate for drinking within 24 hours.
Leave a Reply