This healthy chocolate smoothie has a deep cocoa flavor, and is creamy as a milkshake or chocolate frosty, yet is also nutritious enough to be a meal replacement shake. It is high in protein and fiber, and is kid-friendly, dairy free and banana free.
This creamy healthy chocolate smoothie without bananas is the best way to energize your day. Filled with nourishing foods like rolled oats and dates, like my chocolate beet smoothie, and my chocolate peanut butter smoothie, this chocolate milkshake is also rich in a deep chocolate flavor.
Why You'll Love This Smoothie
Super easy to make. This chocolate smoothie can be made in minutes.
Rich chocolate flavor. The chocolate and date combination in this healthy chocolate milkshake creates a chocolate caramel flavor. But maple syrup is wonderful too.
High in protein and fiber. With 9 grams of protein and 12 grams of fiber, and untold healthy fats, this chocolate smoothie is a good meal replacer.
Milk Cubes - Freeze milk in ice cube trays and use these cubes to make your smoothie creamy and thick just like bananas would.
Rolled Oats - Oats add fiber, nutrition and a thickening factor
Cocoa - I used unsweetened powdered cocoa.
Chocolate chips - Again, use a quality chocolate, either chips or even a chocolate bar.
Dates - Medjool dates are best. Find them boxed in your grocery produce section. If they are older, soak them in just boiled water for 5 minutes.
Milk to Blend - You can use water but it will be thinner smoothie. I used almond milk.
Peanut Butter - Up the protein with this or leave it off.
Dates sweetened the smoothie with a caramel flavor, and provide health benefits. Benefits dates bring:
- Dates have a low glucose index so they don't raise your blood sugar.
- Dates are high in antioxidants, vitamins C and E, fiber and iron.
- Dates also have more potassium than a banana.
How to Make a Chocolate Smoothie
For more detail, visit the complete recipe at the bottom of this post, but here are general steps.
Prepare: Freeze milk in ice cube trays or use half milk and half ice cubes. If your dates are on the dry-side, soak them in a cup of just boiled water for 5 minutes. Rinse oats to remove dusty coating. Just add to a strainer and pour a cup of filtered water over them.
step 1: Add frozen milk cubes to the blender first. (Image 1)
step 2: Next add the rolled oats. (Image 2)
step 3: After that the cocoa. (Image 3)
step 4: Finish with the rest of the ingredients, and milk. Blend for at least a minute. Pour and serve! (Image 4)
Rinse your rolled oats. I recommend rinsing the oats before adding to blender to remove dusty film which can interfere with digestion. Just add the measured oats to a strainer, and pour a cup of filtered water over the oats.
Milk ice cubes for creamy texture. Use frozen milk cubes for a creamy and frosty texture. A high-fat milk is best such as canned coconut or almond or cashew. But if you want to reduce even the healthy fats, you can freeze zero fat yogurt instead.
For easy blending. Although normally it is best to add liquids to a blender first when making a smoothie, with this one, add the ice cubes first because you want them to begin to melt straight away.
Adjust sweetness. I think this smoothie is perfect but if you want to reduce the sweet flavor, reduce the dates, to either 2 dates or even 1 ½ dates.
Boost The Nutrition
- Seeds - Chia, flaxseeds, hemp are always good choices for added protein, fiber and omegas. Add 1 tablespoon of each.
- Avocado - add ½ frozen for extra creaminess and added benefits. They actually contribute nutrients to every cell process in the body.
- Spinach - ½ cup of packed raw spinach leaves won't be tasted and will add potassium.
Use this chocolate smoothie as a base of operations to make many other fun flavors, including:
- Banana Chocolate Smoothie - replace the rolled oats with half a ripe banana.
- Chocolate Strawberry Smoothie - replace the rolled oats with ¼ cup frozen strawberries.
- Chocolate Coffee Smoothie - add 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules.
Store this Smoothie
Make Ahead. You can easily make this smoothie ahead of time, and freeze it in ice cube trays. To have a smoothie ready for the next morning, simple add 6-7 ice cubes to a glass, refrigerate it overnight to thaw, and blend or stir or shake up the next morning.
Store refrigerated. Most smoothies hold their nutrition for up to two days refrigerated in a sealed container. The layers will seperate and you'll need to shake or stir before drinking. Longer than that, the smoothie will lose flavor and nutrition, so freeze it away in ice cube trays if you want to keep it longer than two days.
Yes, this smoothie is both vegan and gluten-free provided you use rolled oats that are not from a gluten-contaminated factory.
Smoothies high in protein and fiber may even aid weight loss by keeping you full. If you're looking for a creative way to boost your fruit and veggie intake, smoothies may be the way to go.
Fruits, vegetables, and nuts are the healthiest elements to add to a smoothie to add protein, fiber and to sweeten it naturally.
Generally chocolate smoothies are full of fiber and antioxidants from the cocoa which can protect you from disease and support organs including skin and heart. My chocolate smoothie also contributes extra fiber and iron thanks to rolled oats and sweetening by dates.
More Delicious Smoothies
If you tried this chocolate smoothie recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the 📝 comments below. Thanks for visiting!
Healthy Chocolate Smoothie
- Measuring cups & spoons
- ice cube trays to freeze milk to make it extra frosty
- Freeze milk the night before in ice cube trays, unless you will opt to use a combo of milk and ice cubes.
- If your dates are dry, soak them for five minutes in just boiled water, then pit them.
- Also rinse the oats before adding to blender to remove dusty film which can interfere with digestion. Just add the measured oats to a strainer, and pour a cup of filtered water over the oats.
- Add all ingredients into a blender and process.¼ cup milk frozen in an ice cube tray*, 3 tablespoon rolled oats, 1 tablespoon cocoa, 1 tablespoon chocolate chips, 3 dates, 1 tablespoon peanut butter, 1 cup dairy free milk
- Drink the smoothie immediately. Or refrigerate for 2 days.
- Or freeze in ice cube trays and blend up again when you are ready, or put the cubes the night before in a glass or covered jar refrigerated, and let them thaw overnight then stir or shake.