Buckwheat soba noodle soup is oil-free, teeming with slurpy buckwheat soba noodles and savory vegetables and perfect for chilly winter days. Gluten-free soup, high in protein, fiber and magnesium.
A delicious buckwheat soba noodle soup with slurpy noodles and tons of vegetables. If you love this soup, you might love my spicy butternut squash soup!
Why You'd Love This
Filled with flavor and comforting healthy noodles, this easy buckwheat soba noodle soup will give you the boost of energy you need to accomplish all your daily goals.
The broth is vegan, gluten-free, oil-free save for the browning of a few veggies.
ingredients for the dish
Buckwheat soba noodles. Choose a gluten-free brand if needed.
Vegetable broth. Either homemade (recipe below) or store bought
Flavors & Seeds. Sesame seeds, cilantro, salt
ingredients for homemade broth
Flavors: Soy sauce, cilantro, ginger, salt, pepper, lime juice, garlic, rosemary, bay leaf, olive oil
Steps to Make
Step 1: Heat the broth. Either use store bought or make it. To make the broth, in a deep pot, sauté the onions in olive oil until edges are brown, add garlic and ginger, stir a few minutes, then add rosemary, bay leaf, rest of vegetables, and sauté 1 minute. Add 6 cups of water, and simmer low for about 30 min. Strain off veggies, and the remaining liquid stock is your broth.
Step 2: Assemble the Dish. Steam the broccoli and zucchini, and boil the soba noodles according to the package directions. Pour the hot broth in a bowl, add the noodles, veggies and toss in flavors and seeds. Stir up, add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with chop sticks!
1. Prep your veggies ahead of time and refrigerate until ready to make soup.
2. Make or buy your broth ahead of time and refrigerate until you are ready to make soup.
3. Meal-prepping helps so you can put the soup together fast.
4. I provide a list of veggies I add and top the soup with, but you can adjust and use the veggies you have available.
5. You can make the vegetable broth from scratch (recipe below) or - save an hour of time and buy a great vegan brand here. Enjoy your soup!
What is Soba Soup Made Of?
Soba Soup is a clear broth soup filled with soba noodles.
The term "soba" is Japanese for buckwheat. Soba noodles are thin slurpy noodles made from buckwheat flour. They are traditional in Japan but are growing in popularity in Western countries because of they are high in protein and essential minerals and are gluten-free noodles.
Are Soba Noodles Healthy?
Yes! Soba noodles are made with only buckwheat and water.
Buckwheat is a seed that is gluten-free, high in protein, and some magical qualities that are shown to benefit blood sugar, the heart, as well as have inflammation and detox capabilities. The soba noodle has a low glycemic index than most noodles.
These buckwheat noodles contribute fiber, magnesium, protein, essential vitamins and minerals including B, folic acid, copper and zinc. It's super high in protein and even provides a quarter of your magnesium needs. Magnesium is not always that easy to get in our traditional Western diet, and yet it is vital to support sleep and mood.
Read more about soba noodles here.
What Is The Difference Between Udon and Soba
Soba noodles are thin and stringly whereas udon are flatter. Both are made from buckwheat however so use Udon if you can't find soba in this soup.
Can Soba Noodles Be Used For Ramen?
They sure can! They won't be squiggle however, but they will be healthier. Squiggling ramen noodles - loved by college students everywhere - are made with wheat and infused with oil, sodium and tons of preservatives.
Other Healthy Soups
Are you on Pinterest? Perhaps share this image..
Don’t miss a thing, subscribe here to get recipes delivered to your inbox!
Buckwheat Soba Noodle Soup
- 1 package buckwheat soba noodles (I use this gluten-free brand) Choose carefully for gluten-free noodles. Some other brands process in a wheat-contaminated facility.
- 2 cups steamed broccoli florets
- 1 zucchini sliced
- 10 cashews
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2-4 cups vegetable broth Either homemade* or bought
- ¼ cup chopped scallion bulbs
- ¼ cup cilantro
- Heat the broth, either store bought or homemade*
- Steam broccoli and zucchini coins until hot (I like them nearly raw), and prepare soba noodles according to package directions.
Assemble Buckwheat Soba Noodle Soup
- Pour heated broth into a shallow soup bowl, add noodles, on top of those add raw mushrooms and celery, steamed broccoli and zucchini, sprinkle cashews, scallions, sesame seeds and cilantro, and stir in lime juice. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with chop sticks!
Flavors: Soy sauce, cilantro, ginger, salt, pepper, lime juice, garlic, rosemary, bay leaf, olive oil In a deep pot, saute the onions in olive oil until edges are brown, add garlic and ginger, stir a few minutes, then add rosemary, bay leaf, rest of vegetables, and saute 1 minute. Add 6 cups of water, and simmer low for about 30 min. Strain off veggies, and the remaining liquid stock is your broth.