A spicy vegan butternut squash soup to warm both by temperature and spicy flavor. And an easy short-cut to make homemade butternut squash puree fast!
Spicy Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
This flavorful vegan butternut squash soup is the perfect comfort food as the temperatures dip.
As family members start filing into my kitchen, rubbing their chilled hands together, I get the message they are cold. In response, I cook up the warmest, most comforting soup I know, spicy vegan butternut squash soup.
The soup of course is hot, but so is the warming spice.
Is Butternut Squash Healthy?
Yes! Not only is butternut squash delicious, it is also a huge source of vitamin E, great for skin support, and Vitamin A, perfect for eye health, as well as loads of other nutritional benefits.
And so velvety cream and savory, that all your comfort foods needs will be met, especially if you dip chunks of a loaf of whole grain bread!
How To Make Butternut Squash Puree?
Well of course you can buy canned. Here is a quality organic butternut squash puree canned brand I love.
BUT. Do you want to make it fresh from scratch? Easy!
You can roast it in the oven in the traditional way, or take a short-cut and use your microwave to make butternut squash puree! Here’s how:
Start with a 3-4 lb butternut squash, rinse it off, and poke holes in the skin all over so it doesn’t explode in the microwave. Wrap it loosely in paper towels. Then microwave it for about 8 minutes. Stop and test to see if a knife slides smoothly into it. If not, put it back in the microwave for another 2 minutes.
Once you believe it is cooked through, let it cool because it will burn you to handle it right now.
Then slice it in half, scoop out the seeds, and then scoop out the squash and put into your high speed blender.
Blend until you have a puree; you may have to add a bit of water.
Use this fresh puree to make this fudge, or my butternut squash fudge or any recipe that requires it. Store refrigerated for 3 days.
Do you want to save this recipe on Pinterest? Save this image..
Don’t miss a thing, subscribe here to get recipes delivered to your inbox!
Spicy Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
- Leave can of coconut milk out of refrigerator - you don't want the fat separating for this recipe.
- To start, toss coconut oil in a fairly deep pan. I used a Staub cocotte.
- Add to the heating oil, the chopped shallots, garlic and ginger and stir for two minutes on low heat.
- Add 3 cups of butternut squash puree to the mixture. Use either canned puree or roast your own according to my instructions in the blog post.
- Now, stir in the coconut milk, broth, syrup, and cinnamon and bring to a simmer and near-boil for 5-10 min.
- Taste-test and tweak the taste with salt and pepper.
- Put the soup directly into a thermal blender. If you don't have a thermal blender, let the soup mixture cool first and then blend in any high-speed blender until velvety creamy.
- Warm again briefly in a pot on the stove before serving.
- Serve with sprinkle of parsley, and saffron for color! Enjoy!
Sponsored by @staub , all opinions are my own.
Dee Dine is founder of Green Smoothie Gourmet, a plant based recipe blog, and author of the recent cookbook, Crazy Healthy with 4 Ingredients . On this blog you’ll find incredibly easy recipes with hidden veggies for anyone wanting to eat healthier, regardless of diet. Dee has graduate degrees in immunological nutritional studies and journalism. More about Dee Dine here.