Homemade Mars Bars are easy to make, just 3 ingredients, and chocolate! High in protein, mood-boosting magnesium and other nutrients. A protein-rich candy bar that is good for you! Vegan, gluten-free, refined-sugar-free!
Homemade Mars Bars
Homemade Mars Bars are easy to make, similar to Three Musketeers. A copycat candy bar with crispy chocolate outside, and creamy fluffy fudge inside. And I put them on a stick.
Only guess what? After you eat this bar, your sugar levels won't plummet and you won't feel sick, and mid-movie turn to your sister and lament how much candy you ate.
Why? Because of the ingredients.
Ingredients in These Healthy Homemade Mars Bars
Count them. Just three.
1. Almond Flour. So high in protein and other nutrients.
2. Medjool dates. Full of fiber and iron.
3. Cocoa powder. Unsweetened chocolate powder or cacao powder, both unprocessed and zippy high in mood-boosting magnesium.
Almond flour is awesome in this recipe because it gives the dates structure.
I've made something similar with coconut flour in my chocolate treat email course. Five lessons hit your inbox with detail on how to create your own simple healthy chocolate desserts.
Okay, so back to this recipe...
Both recipes produce a bar soft inside like fudge but cakey like a nougat. And because it's frozen on a stick, the chocolate shell immediately hardens upon dipping.
So you end up with a crunchy snappy exterior, and creamy fudgy interior.
How to Make These Homemade Mars Bars
It's very easy. First make some date paste. I have a how to make date paste recipe here, but I also explain it in the recipe below. All you do is buy some dates, soak them overnight in water, pit them, and blend up with water.
Then blend up this fresh date paste and flour and cocoa and press into molds or just use a parchment-lined loaf pan.
Freeze, cut, dip and you have homemade protein bars! If you want to insert sticks, let the bars thaw a bit before inserting, then re-freeze before dipping. Enjoy!
Try My Other Healthy Chocolate Treats
Don’t miss a thing, subscribe here to get recipes delivered to your inbox!
Homemade Mars Bars
Homemade Mars Bar
- 17 Medjool dates
- ¾ cup water
Make Date Paste
- If your dates are hard or have been refrigerated, either soak them in clear water overnight or boil them for 20 minutes, let them cool, and pit them.
- Then blend the dates and water until very smooth. Use in the recipe.If you made extra or want to store the date paste. Refrigerate it for a week or freeze it for 2 months in the freezer.
Make Homemade Mars Bar
- Blend up the almond flour, cocoa powder and date paste until smooth.
- Spoon the mixture into molds.
- Freeze for two hours, then remove from molds and insert sticks. Lay the bars on a parchment-paper lined cookie sheet and return to the freezer for a longer freeze. At least four hours or overnight.
Coat them in chocolate
- Melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil in a shallow bowl in the microwave for 60 seconds.
- Stir until all chips are melted, and then lower each bar into the chocolate, using a spoon to make sure all sides are covered.
- Return the bars to the parchment paper, and sprinkle with your choice - salt flakes, festive stars or how about a little gold dust.