Spicy delicious apple cinnamon overnight oats is a speedy grab-and-go breakfast that bursts of apple flavor thanks to a splash of apple cider. This overnight oat recipe is ready in 5 minutes, and full of filling fiber and spicy fall flavors.
This delicious apple cinnamon overnight oats recipe is both easy and healthy, and full of spicy, fiber-filled flavor. Apples are known to power the immune system in amazing ways, and oats are terrific fillers with essential nutrients, so this is really the perfect breakfast and a great protein boost for pre workout. Like my baked apple cider donuts, cinnamon apple cake, and my apple crisp without oats, these overnight oats are full of apple flavor.
What Are Overnight Oats?
Overnight oats are a great grab-and-go recipe that has become quite popular this past decade as people become busy and welcome breakfasts that travel or can be made ahead. I have so many flavors, including chocolate chip overnight oats, chocolate overnight oats, and overnight oats with frozen fruit.
This oat breakfast is easy to put together, just add raw oats to a liquid and soak them overnight. As you can tell, this way of making oatmeal is highly customizable by choosing different liquids and add-ins.
Why You'll Love These
Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats are an awesome breakfast, full of fiber, essential nutrients, a huge immune booster, filling so a wonderful weight control breakfast, and even great at balancing blood sugar.
Much of the nutrition and fiber comes from apples and rolled oats has soluble fiber called beta-glucan which is awesome for your heart. Both are low in calories, sodium, fat and high in antioxidants, fiber and tons of nutrition.
Apples are rich in antioxidants which fight disease and vitamin C which also boosts the immune system, calms digestion and even supports healthy skin. Learn more about apple nutrition here.
- rolled oats. Quaker quick oats also works.
- milk. I used almond milk but any milk works.
- apple cider. Works as a sweetener and provides a spicy fall kick.
- spices. I used cinnamon and nutmeg, but any fall-ish flavored spices work.
- apple. Don't peel. Use a sturdy apple such as Gala, Fuji, or Honeycrisp. Choose apples that are firm and unblemished, and organic if possible.
Step by Step Instructions
For more detail, visit the complete recipe at the bottom of this post, but here are general steps.
Step 1: Wash apple. Stand upright, cut downward on four sides, close to core. Discard the core and chop the 4 sides into 1-inch chunks. Add ¾ of the chunks into to a blender and blend the apples into an apple puree and set aside.
Step 2: Rinse oats briefly in water by putting them in a strainer and run water over them to rinse off the phytates, the powdering coating that can interfere with digestion.
Step 3: Put the basic overnight oats ingredients together in a cup or mason jar. Fold in the remaining ¼ of the apple chunks.
Step 4: Soak this apple cinnamon oats mixture for a few minutes or overnight. Then assemble an apple cinnamon overnight oats jar by alternating layers of apple puree, apple chunks, and overnight oats mixture in a jar or bowl. Then top with fresh cut slivers of apples and dust with cinnamon.
Tips & Tricks
Choose rolled oats or quick oats. If using quick oats, reduce the liquid a bit to keep the oats from becoming too soggy. If gluten-free is necessary, choose a brand that stipulates there is no cross-contamination in processing.
Choose organic apples. Organic is best if possible since apple peel tends to absorb and retain pesticides that non-organic apples are sprayed with.
Cinnamon. Although Cassia cinnamon is the more common type, you'll get more flavor choosing Saigon or the like.
How to Store
These apple cinnamon overnight oats are best eaten with 24 hours of soaking. Keep covered, as in a mason jar or the like, in the refrigerator until you are ready to eat.
Overnight oats are served cold, straight out of the refrigerator after chilling overnight. However, they are delicious warm as well. Just microwave them uncovered for 1 minute, and stir.
Sturdy apples are best such as Gala, Fuji and Honeycrisp. Don't use golden Delicious or Cortland as they are too soft and will not give your oats crunch.
More Apple Recipes
If you tried this apple cinnamon overnight oats recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the 📝 comments below. Thanks for visiting!
Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats
- container with cover
Make the Overnight Oats
- 1 cup rolled oats or quick oats*
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoon apple cider
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ginger
- pinch salt
- 1 apple, cored do not peel
- Add rolled oats to a strainer and pour water over them briefly. You want a quick rinse to remove the dust from the flakes.
- Wash apple. Stand upright, cut downward on four sides, close to core. Discard the core and chop the 4 sides into 1-inch chunks. Add ¾ of the chunks into a blender and blend the apples into an apple puree and set aside.
- Add overnight oats ingredients and the remaining chopped apples into a jar, and refrigerate overnight or for at least 4 hours to soften.
- Layer the apple puree and overnight oat mixture in a jar, and top with freshly sliced apples.1 cup rolled oats, 1 cup milk, 2 tablespoon apple cider, ¾ teaspoon cinnamon, ⅛ teaspoon ginger, pinch salt
- Enjoy within 24 hours.