Easy chocolate overnight oats with cocoa are a fast whole grain breakfast with oats. Use rolled oats or quick oats, and mix them up in 5 minutes. Full of fiber and protein thanks to rolled oats, chia seeds, and yogurt. The perfect make ahead breakfast and a healthy weight loss option.
These healthy chocolate overnight oats use either rolled oats or quick oats, and with the addition of lemon juice, are easy to digest. The perfect breakfast meal prep because unlike my chocolate baked oats, overnight oats require no cooking and take only 5 minutes to prepare in a jar.
If you haven't tried overnight oats yet, the creamy texture will amaze you. These cocoa overnight oats are my favorite, but I have others. Try my basic protein overnight oats recipe with 7 different flavors or my chocolate chip overnight oats.
This chocolate oatmeal recipe is best eaten chilled, but can easily be heated in a minute in the microwave. The topping options are endless, stir in more chocolate chips, and top with my healthy chocolate sauce.
Why You'll Love These
Make ahead breakfast. Mix just a few ingredients in a bowl with a spoon, and chill overnight for the creamiest texture or at least a few hours.
Nutritious & energizing. Chocolate overnight oats are full of fiber and protein, and help you feel full for hours. The cocoa has caffeine, helping to energize and wake up your brain.
Supports digestion & weight loss. The addition of lemon juice ensures these oats are easy to digest and support weight loss by allowing the oats to help you feel full for hours and avoid unhealthy snacking. [source]
Fits all diets & customizable. The recipe as is fits all diets, vegan, dairy free, gluten free and refined sugar free. This flavor is chocolate but deepen it by adding chocolate chips and nuts.
1. Rolled oats: Use old fashioned rolled oats or quick oats, but don't use steel cut oats in overnight oats recipes as they are too crunchy. Rinse the oats briefly to remove the sour dust coating.
2. Dairy free milk: You can use any milk but the higher the fat, the creamier your oats will be.
3. Chia seeds: Chia seeds gel in moisture, increasing hydration. The seeds are also high in protein and fiber.
4. Yogurt: Adds a creamy flavor and more protein. I use unsweetened.
5. Lemon juice: Brightens the oats flavor and deactivate phytates in oats that sometimes interfere with digestion.
6. Maple syrup: You can use any liquid sweetener, including date paste or date syrup.
7: Cocoa. Use unsweetened cocoa or cacao powder. Choose a quality brand like Ghiradelli or Valhrona as this ingredient carries the chocolate flavor of your oatmeal.
- Measuring cups, spoons
- Container with a cover
Step by Step Instructions
For more detail, visit the complete recipe at the bottom of this post, but here are general steps.
Preparation. Rinse the rolled oats or quick oats with plain water to remove outer dust to improve digestion and flavor. Drain and measure out other ingredients.
Step 1: Add all basic overnight oats ingredients to a jar, including rinsed oats, stir with a spoon to break up clumps. (Image 1)
Step 2: Cover and chill overnight or at least two hours. (Image 2)
Step 3: Add in unsweetened cocoa and taste-test. Add more sweetener, if necessary, any further mix-ins such as chocolate chips or walnuts. (Image 3)
Step 4: Stir, add toppings including chocolate syrup and eat right away, or cover and store. (Image 4)
- Enhance the flavor of chocolate overnight oats by adding ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract and ⅛ teaspoon of salt. If you like cinnamon, add ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Use unsweetened cocoa powder or even cacao powder for this recipe. Cacao powder is harder to find, less sweet but healthier because it is less processed so has higher concentrations of healthy components such as antioxidants that fight disease and magnesium that supports sleep.
- Be sure the container of overnight oats is sealed tightly so the oats don't dry out as you chill them.
- Once you've chilled the overnight oats, if they are not creamy enough for you, stir in a tablespoon or more of milk.
Make overnight oats without chia seeds. Chia seeds add protein but are not essential.
Make the overnight oats without yogurt. Yogurt provides a creamy texture and more protein but is not essential for this recipe - you can use milk or even water instead.
Should you eat overnight oats hot or cold? Overnight oats are chilled so typically are served cold for speed, but they can easily by warmed. Just microwave the jar for one minute, uncovered, stir and if not hot enough, microwave another 30 seconds and enjoy.
Add chocolate chips to these chocolate overnight oats to make a double chocolate version.
If you prefer fruity overnight oats, try my overnight oats with frozen fruit.
How to Store
Refrigerated. Overnight oats last about three days covered and in the refrigerator.
Make Ahead. Since oats last three days, it's easy to make ahead three days of breakfasts to be ready to grab and go. You can chill it in a covered jar like a mason jar, or these overnight oats jars, and bring it to work or school. Prepared oats should be chilled however, so don't eat them if they are left at room temperature for more than two hours.
Freeze. Technically prepared overnight oats can be frozen and thawed, but since it takes the same amount of time to make them fresh and chill, it's better if possible to just make them fresh.
Best Toppings for Overnight Oats
Chocolate. Top with chunks of chocolate or chocolate chips.
Coconut flakes or shredded coconut. Try to add fresh coconut flakes, and your chocolate oats will taste like a mounds bar.
Fresh Berries. Strawberries or raspberries are delicious on chocolate overnight oats.
Chocolate sauce. Try my healthy chocolate sauce made from cocoa, or my healthier magic shell.
Prepared oats should be chilled to prevent the growth of bacteria, so don't eat the oats if they are left at room temperature for more than two hours.
Overnight oats made with rolled oats and quick oats are exceptionally healthy with high fiber and protein, a essential vitamins and minerals including copper, iron and zinc. Overnight oats are especially healthy for your gut.
Oats that are soaked for a time are easier to digest because the fluid breaks down natural starch. In addition, eating soaked oats is convenient since they can be prepared the night before, and are ready to go for breakfast.
Other Overnight Oats Recipes
If you tried this chocolate overnight oats recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the 📝 comments below. Thanks for visiting!
Chocolate Overnight Oats with Cocoa
- Rinse rolled oats in the strainer by pouring water through them. The brief rinse will remove the dust coating on the flakes that can taste sour.
- Add all basic overnight oats ingredients to a jar, including rinse rolled oats, stir with a spoon to break up clumps.½ cup rolled oats (40g), ½ cup dairy free milk (118ml), 2 tablespoon yogurt, ½ tablespoon chia seeds, 1 teaspoon lemon juice*, 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Cover the mixture and chill overnight or at least two hours.
- Add in unsweetened cocoa and taste-test. Add more sweetener if necessary, and any further mix-ins such as chocolate chips. Stir and eat right away, or cover and store.1 tablespoon cocoa powder