How to make chocolate chips with cocoa powder using this 3-ingredient recipe. These homemade healthy chocolate chips are made of healthy ingredients and shaped easily with a mold or piping dots.
Learn how to make chocolate chips with cocoa powder and 2 other healthy ingredients. These healthy chocolate chips have none of the preservatives you'll find in store-bought chips. Have homemade chocolate chips on hand that have all the ingredients you trust!
Use these healthy chocolate chips with any recipes that requires chocolate chips such as my chocolate chip cookies without brown sugar, my pumpkin oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, my applesauce chocolate chip cookies or my edible chocolate chip cookie dough.
Why You'll Love This
Easy & quick recipe. It uses pantry ingredients, and they are ready in half an hour. Shape them in a chocolate chip mold or any mold - I used a silicon oven mitt - or fill a frosting bag with the mixture, and pipe dots onto parchment paper and chill.
Cost effective. Store bought chocolate chips cost more than homemade chocolate chips made from cocoa powder.
Perfect for all diets. These healthy chocolate chips are dairy free, gluten free, paleo, and vegan.
cocoa powder. Use unsweetened, and traditional or Dutch.
cacao butter (or coconut oil). You will buy cacao butter in a bag of yellow chunks and melt it to use it. You can buy it online or in a market like Whole Foods.
maple syrup. Any liquid sweetener works.
(optional) salt, vanilla, coffee
See the recipe card at the bottom for full information on ingredients and quantities.
Step by Step Instructions
For more detail on how to make chocolate chips at home, visit the complete recipe at the bottom of this post, but here are general steps.
1. Melt the cacao butter or coconut oil in a water bath and melt. One way to melt the cacao butter is to put the pieces directly into a dry glass pyrex measuring cup and set that in a pot of boiling water. Stir as it melts. If using coconut oil from a jar, set the jar in a pot of boiling water until enough melts for you to pour it and measure it.
2. Add other ingredients to the melted cacao butter or melted coconut oil. Stir the mixture until smooth or at least grainy-smooth.
3. Pour the mixture into a chocolate chip mold or a silicon potholder, and tip to fill the crevices. Or fill a piping bag or ziplock bag with tip cut, and make tiny dots in rows on a parchment-paper lined cookie sheet.
4. Put the mold or pan into the freezer, sitting it flat, for at least one hour, then pop the chips out of the mold and use or store.
Don't microwave cacao butter or coconut oil because both will burn. You need to use a water bath to melt it. Just put a pyrex measuring cup in a pot of boiling water. Be sure to not let water splash into the chocolate or it will seize.
Once you've mixed ingredients, don't forget to taste-test. This is your chance to add more sweetener or even a spice if needed.
Customize. These chips are customizable. You can add in spices such as cardamom, cinnamon, or nutmeg. Or extracts such as orange or almond or peppermint.
Store the chips made with cacao butter in a jar in a dry dark place. They can last up to a year if kept dry. If you use coconut oil, however, please keep them refrigerated or they are more likely to melt and stick together.
Cacao butter, also called cocoa butter, is from the cocoa bean, and is sold as a hard yellow ingredient in bags online here, and often found in soaps. It's edible though and high in antioxidants, polyphenols and essential fatty acids, which boost the immune system.
It's easy to make chocolate chips from cocoa powder at home. Just melt cacao butter, cocoa powder and maple syrup, pour in a mold and freeze.
Stored in a cool dark place, homemade chocolate chips made from cocoa and cacao butter should last about a year before tasting stale. If you use coconut oil instead of cacao butter, the chips will also last a year but must be stored refrigerated because coconut oil will cause them to melt.
Recipes that Use Chocolate Chips
- Applesauce Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Edible Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
- Cookie Dough Bites
- Healthy Chocolate Chip Muffins
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the 📝 comments below. Thanks for visiting!
How to Make Chocolate Chips
- pinch salt
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon instant coffee
Make chocolate chips
- Set a pot of water to boil, and put the measuring cup in the water. Put the cacao butter or coconut butter in the measuring cup and keep stirring until it is completely melted. Do not let water or condensation touch either.
- Remove the measuring cup of melted cacao butter or coconut oil from the water, and stir in the other ingredients, keeping the maple syrup to 2 tablespoon at first. Taste-test before adding the rest.¾ cup cocoa powder, ¾ cup cacao butter, ¼ cup maple syrup, pinch salt
- Stir up the mixture smooth with a spoon. It will be a little grainy, but if you want it smoother you can add a teaspoon of melted coconut oil and/or microwave the mixture for 15 seconds.
- To use a mold. Pour the mixture into the silicon potholder or other mold. Tip to fill the crevices.
- To pipe dots. Fill a piping bag or ziplock bag with tip cut, and make tiny dots in rows on a parchment-paper lined cookie sheet.
- Put the filled potholder or mold or piped pan into the freezer, sitting it flat, for at least 30 minutes. Freeze longer if the chips aren't hard enough to remove from mold.
- Pop the chips out of the mold and store in a jar.