Make vegan chocolate chips with this 3-ingredient recipe, that is also dairy-free, plant-based and vegan, and easily made in a rubber pot holder as the mold.
Make Homemade Vegan Chocolate Chips
Make homemade chocolate chips that are vegan and have only 3 ingredients. Wouldn’t it be nice to have homemade chocolate chips on hand that have all the ingredients you trust?
Chocolate chips, especially vegan and dairy-free, are not always easy to come by.
Here is a homemade recipe rich in so many nutrients, but especially high in antioxidants which fight disease and inflammation, and hard-to-come-by magnesium, so important in mood-balancing and more.
How Do You Make Chocolate Chips From Scratch?
I blend cacao butter, cacao powder and maple syrup. Best of all, I share with you a special shortcut to create a chip shape that doesn’t involve piping each chocolate chip which can be tedious.
So easy, so fast, and suddenly I am awash in freshly homemade chocolate chips.
I often use these in my white bean chocolate chip cookie dough recipe. You, however, can use your new homemade chocolate chips on anything you please.
What Is Cacao Butter?
Cacao butter, also called cocoa butter, is a yellow blocky ingredient sold in bags online here or in Whole Foods, and you might recognize it as an ingredient in skin-smoothing soaps. It is wonderful is soap but it is even better in harder chocolate creations such as homemade chocolate chips.
And so nutritious! Cacao butter is high in antioxidants, polyphenols and essential fatty acids, which boost the immune system, have anti-inflammatory impact and support other organs as well.
Cacao butter is not that expensive, lasts a long time in your pantry and is worth having it online. I can say that on days I am somewhat bored, I actually go into the pantry and sniff the inside of my cacao butter bag because it smells delicious! They should make a candle of that smell. Maybe they do!
Also, by now, also, you realize how customizable these chips are — add in cardamom, cinnamon, nutmeg, orange essence…anything you please to make custom flavored chips.
What Can I Use Instead of Chocolate Chips?
Not everyone wants to add chocolate chips though, so I can suggest that nuts or seeds make a fine substitution. Also, I made chips out of sunflower seed butter and nut butter. Try that recipe!
Try My Other Vegan Chocolate Treats
Chocolate Coated Marzipan
Chocolate Bark Recipe with Nutella
Homemade Protein Bars
Chocolate Protein Bars
Vegan White Chocolate
Chocolate Quinoa Scotcheroos
Chocolate Chickpea Clusters
Butternut Squash Fudge Recipe
Are you on Pinterest? Perhaps share or save the recipe with this image..
Don’t miss a thing, subscribe here to get recipes delivered to your inbox!
Make Vegan Chocolate Chips (3-ingredients - vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free)
- pinch of salt, 1/2 tsp vanilla, 1/4 tsp coffee
Make chocolate chips
- Set a pot of water to boil, and put the measuring cup in the water. Put the cacao butter in the measuring cup and keep stirring until it is completely melted. Do not let water or condensation touch the cacao butter.
- Remove the measuring cup of melted cacao butter from the water, and stir in other ingredients, keeping the maple syrup to 2 tbsp at first. Taste-test to be sure it is sweet enough for you; then add more of the other tbsp of maple syrup if it is not.
- Stir up the entire mixture smooth with a spoon.
- You can pour into the silicon potholder, and tip to fill the crevices.
- Put the filled potholder into the freezer, sitting it flat, for at least one hour, then pop the chips out of the mold and store in a jar, covered in the refrigerator.
- Now you have your own homemade chocolate chips. You are welcome.
Dee Dine is founder of Green Smoothie Gourmet, a plant based recipe blog, and author of the recent cookbook, Crazy Healthy with 4 Ingredients . On this blog you’ll find incredibly easy recipes with hidden veggies for anyone wanting to eat healthier, regardless of diet. Dee has graduate degrees in sciences and journalism. More about Dee Dine here.