Aquafaba smoothies are perfect for vegan, plant-based, paleo and other healthy diets! I love the airy pillowy nature of aquafaba in a smoothie. Admittedly I don’t use it much because it takes a bit of time to whip up, but it is a show-stopper of a smoothie for a special brunch event or just as a one-time treat. Do you know what aquafaba is? It’s the liquid you get off a can of chickpeas (or the liquid you cook them in if you make it from scratch). Aquafaba is said to be low in calories as well, and to contain a bit of protein, almost as much as what is found in egg whites. And combining it with smooth and creamy mango is really a dream smoothie! So let’s get to it!
makes 3-4 cups
- 1 peach, cored and sliced
- 3 cups frozen or fresh mango
- 2 cups whipped aquafaba (I use liquid from this brand or Whole Foods 365 brand of canned chickpeas)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- pinch of cream of tartar (optional)
- Handmixer (I use this brand)
2. Then, blend the mangos into a puree, split it in half and fold the aquafaba into one half, stir in the lemon juice into the other half, and in a jar I layered the peaches, mango puree and mango-aquafaba mix. Top with berries and lemon slices!
1. Do you want to make the aquafaba liquid from scratch instead of pouring off the liquid from a can? I don’t really know how but I am sure someone out there can tell me..
2. Watch the salt content of the chickpea can yo use! You obviously don’t want a salty smoothie. I have had no trouble with the two brands I mentioned, however I do know there are no-salt-added brands out there so you might want to consider those.
Good luck and tag me on Instagram if you make it! Or share to other social media using the share buttons, thank you!