Delicious copycat Rolo candy is a peanut butter cup filled with a liquid gold peanut butter filling. The recipe is quick and no bake, and provides a chocolate energizing treat.
This copycat rolo candy recipe is so easy to make, and basically a chocolate cup filled with a high-protein golden filling that you will remember all your days. And if you didn't grow up eating Rolo candy, a chocolate cup filled with processed caramel, well you didn't miss anything because my recipe is here! You can make a much healthier version. Just like my Twix cups, or my Chocolate Thin Mints.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
Simple to make. This recipe is only four ingredients, and those ingredients are probably in your pantry right now.
Pretty nutritious for a candy. The peanut butter filling is filled with protein, healthy fats and fiber. Did you know peanut butter is low in carbs? Two tablespoons provides only 3.5 grams carbs and is suitable for a ketogenic diet. The rest of the ingredients provide a slew of essential vitamins and minerals, including magnesium which boosts mood and wards off anxiety.
Suitable for all eaters. This recipe is dairy-free, vegan, gluten-free, and low carb.
- Chocolate Chips. I like to use vegan, gluten-free chips that are refined sugar free.
- Peanut Butter. Be sure to choose natural peanut butter, such as Whole Food's 365 brand or Once or Justins. Don't choose mainstream brands that are full of sugar, more sugar than peanuts.
- Coconut Oil. Refined coconut oil is tasteless but not quite as healthy as virgin coconut oil if you don't mind a slight coconut flavor.
- Maple syrup. This helps create a golden peanut butter filling.
Peanut butter. Use any nut butter instead, or even tahini which is a sesame seed butter and the basis of hummus recipes.
Coconut oil. The coconut oil can be either refined or virgin, but no other oil can be used.
Maple syrup. Use date syrup or monk syrup instead.
How to Make
1. Line a a mini cupcake pan with liners. This recipe makes six mini peanut butter cups so double the recipe if you need more. Melt the chocolate and coconut oil in a pyrex measuring cup at 60 seconds and stir until all is melted.
2. Spoon about a teaspoon into each mini paper cup and draw the chocolate up the sides to create a cup.
3. Freeze while you make the filling.
4. Put a pyrex measuring cup into a pot of boiling water, and add to the cup the peanut butter, maple syrup and more coconut oil. Stir until mixture is melted and golden.
5. Spoon the filling into the cups, filling nearly to the top.
6. Spoon the melted chocolate on top to create a cap. Sprinkle salt right away, and refrigerate for about 1 week.
Which peanut butter? The peanut butter brand you choose will impact the nutrition and filling texture. I suggest using one that has only peanuts as an ingredient, sometimes referred to as natural, and no added sugar. Also choose creamy texture, not crunchy.
A melty center. To achieve that melty center upon serving, freeze cups for about 15 minutes, then microwave one at a time for 5 seconds. Repeat if necessary, whether it melts inside or outside depends on how cold the cup is. The idea is you are trying to melt the center and not the chocolate shell.
More Copycat Candy Recipes
I invite you to keep up with me on: Facebook | Pinterest | Instagram | Food Gawker | Twitter
Don't miss a thing, subscribe here to get recipes delivered to your inbox!
If you try my recipes, please leave a comment and rating below and tag me on your Instagram or Facebook post with @greensmoothiegourmet and #greensmoothiegourmet so I can see and share your remakes!!
Homemade Rolo Candy
peanut butter filling
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 3 tablespoon peanut butter (or any natural nut butter)
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon flaked salt
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoon coconut oil melted
- Add 6 mini cupcake paper cups into a mini cupcake pan.
Make chocolate shell
- Add the chips and 1 tablespoon coconut oil to a pyrex measuring cup and microwave for 60 seconds, remove and stir until all is melted.½ cup chocolate chips, 3 tablespoon coconut oil
- Spoon 1 teaspoon of melted chocolate in each paper cup. Use the spoon to draw the chocolate up the sides.
- Set the pan in the freezer for 5 minutes.
Make the filling
- Add ingredients to a pyrex measuring cup and set that into a pot of boiling water. Stir the mixture until melted and golden.2 tablespoon maple syrup, 3 tablespoon peanut butter, pinch of salt
- Spoon the mixture into each cup, filling each nearly to the top.
- Spoon on the remaining melted chocolate to cover each cup, sprinkle with flaked salt.1 tablespoon flaked salt
- Return the pan to the freezer for 15 minutes until transferring them to the refrigerator to keep.
- OR want to make them liquid gold inside for serving? Just microwave the chilled cups for 5 seconds. Not too long or the chocolate shell will also melt.
- Store in a sealed container for up to 1 week. Freeze for 3 months, but allow 20 minutes to thaw before eating.
Leave a Reply