Easy chocolate coconut caramel bars, no-bake with three interesting, melt-in-your-mouth layers and all wholesome unprocessed ingredients. These cakes are vegan, dairy-free and gluten-free. Short-cut, speedy method shared below as well!
Chocolate Coconut Caramel Bars
These chocolate coconut caramel bars are a no-bake chocolate desserts, so delicious and so easy to create, completed in less than 30 minutes. Ready?
And in case you need convincing, the bottom layer has the consistency of crumbly chocolate cake, and the middle layer is pure cream, the next layer up is sweet date caramel, and the top is a melted chocolate bar. The bottom layer can be made vanilla by leaving off the cacao.
This recipe is the single most requested recipe in my house. And even relatives from afar clamor for me to make and mail them.
Speedy Way to Make No Bake Desserts
Need to make them fast? Pre-game dessert? Dinner party tonight? I hear you! Just boil dates and buckwheat for 5 minutes instead of soaking overnight, or replace buckwheat with walnuts if you don't see it in your bulk food section!
Also, another convenience I share with you, is the pan I discovered. A brownie pan with DIVIDERS people. That means NO MORE breaking chocolate when you go to slice! All sliced and perfectly formed. Buy it here and you'll have no regrets about anything the rest of your LIFE!
Before we dive into the recipe, I'd like to invite you to sign up for my free chocolate course. Five lessons hit your inbox with detail on how to create your own simple healthy chocolate desserts.
Okay, so back to this recipe...
How to Make Chocolate Coconut Bars
The only make-ahead-prep requirement is to buy and soak (or boil) dates and cashews and buckwheat groats the night before.
And if buckwheat groats are hard to find (try the bulk food area of a Whole Foods) or you don't want to wait for Amazon, feel free to substitute walnuts, although don't soak walnuts.
You are ready to begin once all the ingredients are soaked, drained and rinsed! Just blend up each layer, and put it together. As with some no-bake recipes, each layer does not need to be frozen solid before the other is added.
Just pile on all the layers, and freeze for about 1 hour until you can slice cleanly with a hot knife.
After that, they can be stored refrigerated, however they will be soft. We keep them in an airtight container in the freezer. To eat, remove one and thaw 10 minutes before serve.
We have had them a month in the freezer and they were still perfect.
How Healthy Are These Chocolate Coconut Bars
These three ingredients add a lot of nutrition. Dates contribute iron and fiber, cashews and coconut are high in protein and health fats, and buckwheat groats are a pseudocereal, high in both protein and fiber as well as manganese, magnesium, phosphorus, niacin, zinc, folate, and vitamin B6.
The other ingredients are all wholesome too, with their own contributions, coconuts, dark chocolate and more.
How to Make Homemade Vegan Caramel?
Healthy caramel can be made quite easily by blending dates, cashews, pink salt and cacao powder. It turns into a lovely creamy salty sweet caramel that works perfectly in this layer.
Tips to Make These Chocolate Coconut Bars
1. Be sure you have soaked the dates and cashews overnight, and rinsed them the next day. Some recipes that involving soaking these offer short-cuts like boiling them, or buying fresher etc. But for this recipe, the creamy texture in all the layers can only be achieved by soaking overnight.
2. To cut them, dip a sharp knife in hot water, wipe dry, and make a cut. Then repeat. That's how I get picture perfect slices in my cake.
I hope you try my cakes recipe this weekend!
If you like these kind of desserts, you will love my three easiest recipes on the planet:
Interested in sharing on pinterest? Use this image...
or this one..
Don’t miss a thing, subscribe here to get recipes delivered to your inbox!
Chocolate Coconut Caramel Bars
Soft Cookie Base
Creamy coconut Layer
- 1 8 inch by 8 inch pan
- brownie pan with dividers (use this if you want the recipe to come out PRE CUT! Such a time-saver!
- You can soak overnight the cashews and dates and buckwheat together, but I have been just boiling them together for 5 minutes and it works great. Just rinse very very well once boiled.If you are using walnuts INSTEAD of buckwheat groats DO NOT BOIL or SOAK the walnuts.Line the pan with parchment paper.
Make the Base
- Put all base ingredients into a food processor.Process until thoroughly mixed, and press the resulting sticky dough into a pan lined with parchment. I smooth the surface by putting another sheet of parchment on top and pressing with a spatula. Pop this pan into the freezer while you make the soft layer.
Make the Other Two Layers
- Process ingredients for each layer and press the coconut mixture onto the first base layer, and spread the caramel layer on top of that.
- Put back in freezer while you melt the chocolate in the microwave at 60 seconds. Once melted, pour onto the second layer and freeze the slices with a cover of foil or parchment for at least two hours.
- Then heat a sharp knife by dipping it into hot water, wiping it dry, and cutting. Repeat.
- Store slices in freezer long-term or refrigerate for a week if you don't mind them soft.