An easy millionaire shortbread made with a wholesome caramel filling made with a buttery shortbread cookie base all topped with melted chocolate ganache. Each layer is simple to put together and under 4 ingredients. The whole bar comes together in under an hour. A healthier, no bake, dairy free, and gluten free dessert.
You'll feel great after eating these easy millionaire shortbread because they are made of things like almond flour, maple syrup and nut butter. No need to overdose on refined sugars and processed ingredients if you are yearning for this layered treat. Plus my version is no bake and super easy. Just like my chocolate oatmeal bars, baked oatmeal cups and my homemade fudge bars, these bars are family and friend favorites and are quick and easy to make.
Why You'll Love These
Healthy treat for everyone. If you love Twix, or Reese's Cups, you'll love these easy millionaire bars. Mine are made from wholesome ingredients including almond flour and peanut butter, and are vegan and gluten-free so everyone can eat them.
Easy three-layer dessert. These millionaire bars look complicated, but they are not even though they have three layers. That's because some of the same ingredients are in more than one layer such as peanut butter and maple syrup.
One bowl recipe & no bake or baked. This recipe has three layers, and yet all you need is a bowl and blender to mix. The recipe crust can be baked or chilled as a no bake recipe.
1. Almond flour: A flour full of healthy fats, protein and fiber.
2. Maple Syrup: Adds essential minerals and a sweet caramel flavor.
3. Coconut Oil & Coconut Milk: MCT oil found in coconut is considered essential for weight loss and gut health. Pretty cool to find those benefits in a dessert.
4. Peanut Butter: High in protein and healthy fats.
5. Chocolate: Use a quality chocolate, either chocolate chips or a chocolate bar.
See the recipe card at the bottom for full information on ingredients and quantities.
Steps to Make
For more detail, visit the complete and printable recipe at the bottom of this post, but here are general steps.
Preparations. Open a chilled can of full fat coconut milk, set that can in a pot of boiling water. Don't allow water inside the can, stir until the solid portion has melted and you have creamy milk. Measure out ½ cup for the caramel layer, and ¼ cup for the chocolate top. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
1.Make the crust. Mix the shortbread ingredients and press into a loaf pan lined with parchment paper. Decide now whether you want this bar to be no bake or baked.
- If you want to make it no bake, chill this crust while you make the caramel filling.
- If you want to bake it, put the crust in the oven and bake at 350 F for 15 minutes. Press down the hot baked top to flatten and let it cool while you make the filling.
2.Make the middle layer. Microwave the peanut butter and coconut milk and maple syrup and stir the mixture into a magical healthy caramel cream. Spread this on the chilled base.
3.Make the chocolate top. Melt the chocolate chips and coconut milk and nut butter in a measuring cup in the microwave for about a minute. Stir into a creamy texture, and then pour onto the caramel layer. Sprinkle with flaky salt if using. Chill the pan long enough so the bars can be sliced, at least 30 minutes.
Use a quality vanilla in the shortbread.
Bake the crust. While the recipe works perfectly by just freezing the crust, when baked the texture of the crust melts in your mouth like authentic shortbread, and yet is far healthier.
Make it nut free by using a sunflower seed butter with no additives.
Room temperature. Millionaire shortbread can be stored at room temperature in a sealed container for about two days. After that, refrigerate for up to a week.
Freeze them. If you want to freeze the bars, wrap each individually in plastic wrap, put them in a sealed container and freeze them. They will stay fine for up to three months before drying up on the edges.
The Millionaire's shortbread cookie is named as such according to Wikipedia because it is considered to be a rich candy bar with three layers, a shortbread, caramel and chocolate. However, the traditional recipe is made with unhealthy ingredients including refined sugar, so that's where this recipe stands apart.
Millionaire shortbread is one of those wonderful foods that freeze well, is super tasty and makes for a handy snack that is easy to freeze and defrost.
More Homemade Bars
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the 📝 comments below. Thanks for visiting!
Easy Millionaire Shortbread (salted caramel)
- 1 cup almond flour Or 1 ¼ cup oat flour
- 3 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch salt
- ¾ cup peanut butter
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- pinch salt
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Open a chilled can of full fat coconut milk, set that can in a pot of boiling water. Don't allow water inside the can, stir until the solid portion has melted and you have creamy milk. Measure out ½ cup for the caramel layer, and ¼ cup for the chocolate top.*
- Combine all shortbread ingredients in a small bowl until you have a sticky dough.1 cup almond flour, 3 tablespoon maple syrup, 2 tablespoon coconut oil, melted, 1 teaspoon vanilla, pinch salt
- Press into the pan and flatten.
- Decide now whether you want the crust to be no bake or baked.
- No baked. If you want to make it no bake, chill this crust while you make the caramel filling.
- Baked. If you want to bake it, put the crust in the oven and bake at 350 F for 15 minutes. Press down the baked top while hot to level any bubbles and let it cool while you make the filling.
Make Center Caramel Filling
- Microwave peanut butter, coconut cream and maple syrup for 15 seconds until it stirs smoothly. You can repeat 1 or 2 more times.¾ cup peanut butter, ½ cup coconut milk, 2 tablespoon maple syrup, pinch salt
- Spread on chilled shortbread layer. Hold back a few tablespoons to drizzle on final recipe.
Add Chocolate Topping
- Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave, add coconut milk and peanut butter.1 cup chocolate chips, ¼ cup coconut milk, 2 tablespoon peanut butter
- Stir up melted chocolate topping. Microwave at 15 second intervals if it needs more melting.
- Pour on to caramel filling.
- Drizzle with a bit more caramel filling and sprinkle salt.
Refrigerate, Slice & Store
- Refrigerate for 10 minutes to harden topping.
- Slice with a knife dipped in hot water and dried.