An easy millionaire shortbread bar, made healthier with added protein, essential minerals and refined-sugar-free. The shortbread cookie base is only 4 ingredients, and the whole bar is a three-layer, no bake dream dessert.
You'll feel great after eating these easy millionaire bars because they are made of things like almond flour, maple syrup and nut butter. No need to overdose on refined sugars and processed ingredients if you are yearning for this layered treat. Plus my version is no bake and super easy. Just like my chocolate oatmeal bars, and my homemade fudge bars, these bars are fancy but only take minutes to make.
Why You'll Love These
Healthy treat for everyone. If you love Twix, or Reese's Cups, you'll love these easy millionaire bars. Mine are made from wholesome ingredients including almond flour and nut butter, and are vegan and gluten-free so everyone can eat them.
Easy three-layer dessert. These millionaire bars look complicated, but they are not even though they have three layers. That's because some of the same ingredients are in more than one layer such as nut butter and maple syrup.
Do you love no bake treats as much as me? You'll love these bars then. I love when only a bowl or blender gets dirty. This recipe offers you the option to give the crust a quick bake if you want it crunchy, or else just chill for a creamier feel. The middle layer is a caramel dream and the top is a chocolate ganache that melts in your mouth.
This millionaire shortbread recipe is made with clean, plant-based ingredients each full of specific nutrition that allows this cookie bar to make you feel great after eating it. The main ingredients are:
1. Almond flour: A flour full of healthy fats, protein and fiber.
2. Maple Syrup: Adds essential minerals and a sweet caramel flavor.
3. Coconut Oil & Cream: MCT oil found in coconut is considered essential for weight loss and gut health. Pretty cool to find those benefits in a dessert.
4. Nut Butter: High in protein and healthy fats.
5. Chocolate: Use a quality chocolate, either chocolate chips or a chocolate bar.
Steps to Make
1.Make the crust. Mix the shortbread ingredients and press into a loaf pan lined with parchment paper. Decide now whether you want this bar to be no bake or baked.
- If you want to make it no bake, chill this crust while you make the caramel filling.
- If you want to bake it, put the crust in the oven and bake at 350 F for 15 minutes. Press down the hot baked top to flatten and let it cool while you make the filling.
2.Make the middle layer. Microwave the nut butter and coconut cream and maple syrup and stir the mixture into a magical healthy caramel cream. Spread this on the chilled base.
3.Make the chocolate top. Melt the chocolate chips and coconut milk and nut butter in a measuring cup in the microwave for about a minute. Stir into a creamy texture, and then pour onto the caramel layer. Sprinkle with flaky salt if using. Chill the pan long enough so the bars can be sliced, at least 30 minutes.
Tip #1: Use a quality vanilla in the shortbread. I love vanilla paste because it is like fresh vanilla in a bottle. But at least use pure vanilla, not an artificial vanilla.
Tip #2: Bake the crust. While the recipe works perfectly by just freezing the crust, when baked the texture of the crust melts in your mouth like authentic shortbread, and yet is far healthier.
Tip #3: Make it nut free by using a sunflower seed butter with no additives.
Millionaire shortbread bars can be stored at room temperature in a sealed container for about two days. After that, refrigerate for up to a week. If you want to freeze the bars, wrap each individually in plastic wrap, put them in a sealed container and freeze them. They will stay fine for up to three months before drying up on the edges.
Why Is It Called Millionaire Shortbread?
The Millionaire's shortbread cookie is named as such according to Wikipedia because it is considered to be a rich candy bar with three layers, a shortbread, caramel and chocolate. However, the traditional recipe is made with unhealthy ingredients including refined sugar, so that's where this recipe stands apart.
Can You Freeze Millionaire Bars?
Millionaire shortbread is one of those wonderful foods that freeze well, is super tasty and makes for a handy snack that is easy to freeze and defrost.
More Homemade Bars
- Chocolate Oatmeal Bars
- Twix Bars
- Homemade Fudge Bars
- Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars
- How to Make a Protein Bar
If you try my recipes, please leave a comment and rating below and tag me on your Instagram post with @greensmoothiegourmet so I can see and share your remakes!!
Follow me on social media where I post daily healthy eating and lifestyle inspiration:
Instagram | TikTok | Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |
Subscribe HERE to get recipes delivered to your inbox!
Easy Millionaire Shortbread
- 1 cup almond flour Or 1 ¼ cup oat flour
- 3 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch salt
- ¾ cup nut butter or sunflower seed butter
- ¼ cup coconut cream solid portion of chilled can of full fat coconut milk (save milk for chocolate top)
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- pinch salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup full fat coconut milk warmed
- 2 tablespoon nut butter or sunflower seed butter
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Combine all shortbread ingredients in a small bowl until you have a sticky dough.1 cup almond flour, 3 tablespoon maple syrup, 2 tablespoon coconut oil, melted, 1 teaspoon vanilla, pinch salt
- Press into the pan and flatten.
- Decide now whether you want this bar to be no bake or baked. If you want to make it no bake, chill this crust while you make the caramel filling.
- If you want to bake it, put the crust in the oven and bake at 350 F for 15 minutes. Press down the baked top and let it cool while you make the filling.
Make Center Caramel Filling
- Microwave nut butter, coconut cream and maple syrup for 15 seconds until it stirs smoothly. You can repeat 1 or 2 more times.¾ cup nut butter, ¼ cup coconut cream, 2 tablespoon maple syrup, pinch salt
- Spread on chilled shortbread layer. Hold back a few tablespoons to drizzle on final recipe.
Add Chocolate Topping
- Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave, add coconut milk and nut butter.1 cup chocolate chips, ½ cup full fat coconut milk, 2 tablespoon nut butter
- Stir up melted chocolate topping. Microwave at 15 second intervals if it needs more melting.
- Pour on to caramel filling.
- Drizzle with a bit more caramel filling and sprinkle salt.
Refrigerate, Slice & Store
- Refrigerate for 10 minutes to harden topping.
- Slice with a knife dipped in hot water and dried.
- Millionaire shortbread bars can be stored at room temperature in a sealed container for about two days. After that, refrigerate for up to a week. If you want to freeze the bars, wrap each individually in plastic wrap, put them in a sealed container and freeze them. They will stay fine for up to three months before drying up on the edges.
Leave a Reply