A different millionaire shortbread bar, made healthier with added protein, essential minerals and refined-sugar-free. The shortbread needs only 4 ingredients, and the whole bar is a vegan and gluten-free version of this classic holiday cookie. View step by step video in this post.
Healthy Millionaire Shortbread
You'll feel great after eating these millionaire bars because they are made of things like almond flour, maple syrup and sunflower seed butter. No need to overdose on refined sugars and processed ingredients if you are yearning this layered treat. Plus my version is no bake and super easy.
Table of Contents For this Post
Ingredients for Healthy Millionaire Shortbread
This millionaire shortbread is made with clean, plant-based ingredients each full of specific nutrition that allows this holiday bar to make you feel great after eating it.
1. Almond flour: A flour full of healthy fats, protein and fiber.
2. Maple Syrup: Adds essential minerals and a sweet caramel flavor.
3. Coconut Oil & Cream: MCT oil found in coconut is considered essential for weight loss and gut health. Pretty cool to find those benefits in a dessert.
4. Nut or Sunflower Seed Butter: High in protein and healthy fats.
5. Chocolate: Use a quality chocolate and one without cane sugar such as HU gems.
Before we dive into the recipe, I'd like to invite you to sign up for my free chocolate course. Five lessons hit your inbox with detail on how to create your own simple healthy chocolate desserts.
Okay, so back to this recipe...
How to Make Millionaire Shortbread Bars
Step 1. Mix shortbread ingredients and press into a loaf pan lined with parchment paper.
Decide now whether you want this bar to be no bake or baked. If you want to make it no bake, chill this crust while you make the caramel filling. If you want to bake it, put the crust in the oven and bake at 350 F for 15 minutes. Press down the baked top and let it cool while you make the filling.
Step 2. Microwave the nut butter and coconut cream and maple syrup to make a magical caramel cream.
Step 3. Spread this on the chilled base.
Step 4. Melt chocolate and coconut milk and nut butter and pour onto caramel layer.
Step 5. Chill.
Tips to Make the Best Millionaire Shortbread
Tip #1: Use a quality vanilla in the shortbread. I love vanilla paste because it is like fresh vanilla in a bottle. But at least use pure vanilla, not an artificial vanilla.
Tip #2: Bake the crust. While the recipe works perfectly by just freezing the crust, when baked the texture of the crust melts in your mouth like authentic shortbread, and yet is far healthier.
Tip #3: Make it nut free by using Sunbutter, a sunflower seed butter with no additives.
Why Is It Called Millionaire Shortbread?
The Millionaire's shortbread cookie is named as such according to Wikipedia because it is considered to be a rich candy bar with three layers, a shortbread, caramel and chocolate. However, the traditional recipe is made with unhealthy ingredients including refined sugar, so that's where this recipe stands apart.
Can You Freeze Millionaire Bars?
Millionaire shortbread is one of those wonderful foods that freeze well, is super tasty and makes for a handy snack that is easy to freeze and defrost.
More Easy Healthy Desserts:
- Homemade Milano Cookies
- 2-Ingredient Cut Out Cookies
- Vegan Royal Icing
- Rocky Road Fudge
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies
- Chocolate Protein Balls
Don't miss a thing, subscribe here to get recipes delivered to your inbox!
If you try my recipes, please leave a comment and rating below and tag me on your Instagram post with @greensmoothiegourmet so I can see and share your remakes!!
Healthy Millionaire Shortbread
- 1 cup almond flour Or 1 ¼ cup oat flour
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- pinch salt
- ¾ cup nut butter or sunflower seed butter
- ¼ cup coconut cream solid portion of chilled can of full fat coconut milk (save milk for chocolate top)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- pinch salt
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Combine all shortbread ingredients in a small bowl until you have a sticky dough.
- Press into the pan and flatten.
- Decide now whether you want this bar to be no bake or baked. If you want to make it no bake, chill this crust while you make the caramel filling.
- If you want to bake it, put the crust in the oven and bake at 350 F for 15 minutes. Press down the baked top and let it cool while you make the filling.
Make Center Caramel Filling
- Microwave nut butter, coconut cream and maple syrup for 15 seconds until it stirs smoothly. You can repeat 1 or 2 more times.
- Spread on chilled shortbread layer. Hold back a few tablespoons to drizzle on final recipe.
Add Chocolate Topping
- Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave, add coconut milk and nut butter.
- Stir up melted chocolate topping. Microwave at 15 second intervals if it needs more melting.
- Pour on to caramel filling.
- Drizzle with a bit more caramel filling and sprinkle salt.
Refrigerate, Slice & Store
- Refrigerate for 10 minutes to harden topping.
- Slice with a knife dipped in hot water and dried.
- Store frozen long term, or refrigerate for one week.
This post is sponsored by Sunbutter. My opinions are my own.