A creamy hot chocolate for one made with just 4 ingredients in your mug, healthier and tastier than instant cocoa, and this single serve cocoa is made in 1 minute in your microwave.
Indulge in a single creamy cup of hot chocolate for one made within minutes in your microwave. Healthier and free of processed ingredients, all you need is milk and a quality unsweetened cocoa powder and a microwave. A frother is useful, but you can also just shake it up in a jar.
I don't add sugar because I find almond milk is sweet enough, but you can add sugar or maple syrup or any other sweetener to taste. Unsweetened cocoa or even cacao powder has incredible health benefits so a mug of this single serve hot chocolate daily is nutritional wise.
Unsweetened cocoa. Although dutch processed is used in store bought cocoa mixes, plain or regular unsweetened cocoa is just as tasty and healthier because it is less processed. Cacao powder is even healthier but more bitter.
Milk. I use almond milk, but you can use any milk that you prefer the flavor of. The higher the fat, the creamier the cocoa. Yes, even half and half or a coffee creamer would work, but I recommend plant-based to keep the cocoa dairy free and lighter in calories.
Sweetener. Cane sugar, brown sugar, maple syrup, date paste, or even honey if you aren't vegan. The amount of sweetener you'll need will depend on the milk you use.
Vanilla. Important to add a caramel flavor, but not essential. Use a quality vanilla extract or paste, not imitation.
Salt. Essential for flavor, but be very careful to keep it small, under ⅛ teaspoon to keep the salty flavor out of your chocolate.
See the recipe card at the bottom for full information on ingredients and quantities.
Step by Step Instructions
For more detail, visit the complete and printable recipe at the bottom of this post, but here are general steps.
Step 1: Pour milk into a mug. Add cocoa, vanilla and salt. Put cup in the microwave and heat for 1 minute.
Step 2: Add a frother to the mixture, submerge and press the button to froth. Run it for 5-10 seconds. Taste and add sugar if needed. Enjoy your hot cocoa!
1. To make bittersweet dark hot cocoa, use a quality almond milk, regular unsweetened cocoa and don't add sugar - almond milk is often sweet enough to make your cocoa taste like an 85% dark chocolate bar.
2. Once you've frothed it, the drink can be microwaved again for another 30 seconds to heat it further.
3. Add the mixture to a pot and stir until just before boiling.
4. You can double, triple or quadruple this recipe by making sure you use a container that can hold that amount while heating in the microwave. Or heat it all in a pot.
Add coffee to make it a mocha cocoa.
Add a pinch of cayenne pepper to turn it into Mexican hot chocolate.
Add a few drops of peppermint extract for a mint hot chocolate.
Yes, to make ahead, add the cocoa, milk, vanilla and salt to the mixture, froth and store in the fridge until ready to microwave and drink. Add any sugar after you've heated so you can taste-test and add the right amount.
Yes, just add milk, cocoa, sugar, vanilla and salt and microwave for 1 minute. Stir, froth or shake in a jar.
Unsweetened cocoa is full of antioxidants which fight against belly fat by reducing cortisol.
Marshmallows, whipped cream, chocolate chips, a scoop of ice cream, hot fudge sauce.
More Drinks for One
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the 📝 comments below. Thanks for visiting!
1 Minute Hot Chocolate for One
- 1 cup milk
- 1 ½ tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar* or brown sugar, maple syrup, honey, your favorite sweetener
- Pour milk into a mug. Add cocoa, vanilla and salt. I only add a sweetener if the milk I'm using isn't sweet enough.1 cup milk, 1 ½ tablespoon unsweetened cocoa, 1 teaspoon sugar*, ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract, pinch salt
- Put cup in the microwave and heat for 1 minute.
- Add a frother to the mixture, submerge and press the button to froth. Run it for 5-10 seconds.
- Taste and add more sugar if needed. Enjoy your hot cocoa!