This pink ice cream is made with pitaya, also known as dragon fruit, high in iron, magnesium and fiber and tastes like kiwi - enjoy this healthy treat!!
Dragon Fruit Pink Ice Cream!
Welcome to my healthy dragon fruit pitaya pink ice cream party! The best flavor and best color to lift your mood.
Pitaya, also known as dragon fruit, is a tropical fruit that comes in a dinosaur-egg-like pink shell with odd little horns, and can be white or pink inside. The white meat version is fairly easy to find fresh on the East Coast in the USA. However, the pink meat version is not easy to find here.
How Healthy is Dragon fruit or Pitaya?
Pitaya is high in magnesium which helps with sleep. Pitaya is also rich in vitamin C, B1, B2 and B3, and minerals calcium, iron, magnesium and phosphorus. They are also a good source of fiber, protein and omega essential fatty acids. Read more about the health benefits of pitaya here.
How Does Dragon fruit or Pitaya Taste?
Pitaya, either the pink or the white, basically looks and tastes like kiwi, only a bit more watery.
How to Find Dragon Fruit or Pitaya?
I find pink pitaya in frozen packets found in the frozen fruit area of Whole Foods. If you can't find frozen fresh pitaya, then use freeze-dried powder found online.
Add mangos, frozen milk cubes, and energizing baobab, and you have a super healthy frosty treat. Blend, freeze, blend again and serve. If you prefer, you can use 1 cup of chopped frozen bananas instead of the milk cubes - it will be more of a soft serve.
How to Make Dragon fruit Ice Cream
To make this frosty ice cream, first freeze milk and fruit overnight.
Then prepare to allow it to thaw a bit before blending with all the other ingredients. Pour the ice cream mixture into a parchment lined loaf pan and freeze for four hours. Chop up and blend again. Freeze again. Chop up and blend again. I do this to create a creamy texture. The more you do it, the less crystallized the texture. No ice cream maker needed.
If you do want to use an ice cream maker, just use the same blend and follow your ice cream maker's instructions. I can tell you most ice cream makers require that their bowl be frozen overnight so check that the night before..
Try My Other Dragon fruit Recipes
dragon fruit smoothie
dragon fruit smoothie bowl
dragon fruit pink cookies
dragon fruit pink ice cream
dragon fruit protein bites
pitaya protein cups
dragon fruit pina colada popsicles
Interested in sharing on pinterest? Perhaps use this image...
Don’t miss a thing, subscribe here to get recipes delivered to your inbox!
Dragon Fruit Pink Ice Cream
- 8 frozen milk cubes (I used almond milk or use two bananas, chopped and frozen)
- 1 cup frozen mango chunks
- 1 cup fresh (pink inside, not white) pitaya meat (or 1 packet of frozen pink pitaya found in grocery store freezer section - PitayaPlus.com)
- 1 tsp baobab powder
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Pour milk into ice cube trays and freeze overnight. Or chop and freeze bananas overnight.
- Freeze mango chunks overnight.
- I used a frozen pitaya packet but if you use fresh pitaya, chop the correct amount and freeze overnight.Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
Make Pitaya Ice Cream
- Let the milk ice cubes thaw for 20 minutes before blending. You want them to be easy to blend. Then, blend all ingredients, pour into the loaf pan and freeze for 1 hour.
- Chop it up, blend again. Line the loaf pan with new parchment paper, pour in mixture and freeze again, at least 4 hours or until it reaches a texture you want.
- If you have let is freeze overnight, let the mixture thaw 20 minutes or more until it is scoopable.