I am fast falling in love with 2-ingredient recipes.
They do say necessity is the mother of invention so perhaps that is where my ideas are coming from?
Easy protein snacks are just so useful, and when they involve mood-boosting dark chocolate, all the better!
Our 10-pound Pomeranian hurt his back this week, and he is typically super cheerful, but when he has a hurt, he becomes very moody and whiny, no matter the issue.
Now this back issue is probably pretty painful, but he is milking it for all it’s worth.
And we are all having to take turns babysitting him this week, hand-feeding him, handing him his water bowl, putting back his heating pad when he walks off with it dragging behind him.
If ever there was a week I needed a fast snack, this was it!
And we all know the beauty of chickpeas.
Oh sure, I know I took a detour earlier to use white beans instead of chickpeas in some conventional recipes, but that doesn’t mean I’ve cooled to chickpea qualities – never! I love the protein and fiber that they deliver. And I love their inherent rich salty taste; it makes the perfect taste accompaniment in a 2-ingredient recipe involving dark chocolate.
The end result is rich dark chocolate and salty interior – no manufactured candy bar can come close in taste or nutrition to this homemade wonder.
The only time-drag here is you must roast the chickpeas. But that’s all, no other prep is needed.
Pop them in the oven and go do something else while they roast.
But remember, to make the melting magic happen, the chickpeas must go straight from the oven into a bowl of chocolate chips – so plan your schedule accordingly!
You’ve heard of the rule of the gong?
Well, this is the rule of the hot chickpea!
Okay, now I’m getting silly, all those puppy-sitting-sleepless nights are getting to me.
Onward to the recipe!
2-Ingredient Chocolate Chickpea Clusters
- 1 can 15oz/425gms of chickpeas
- 1 cup chocolate chips (I linked to a brand, but you can use any quality dairy-free vegan chocolate. Quality chocolate usually is made only of cacao beans, cacao butter, sugar and vanilla)
- Rinse chickpeas and spread parchment on a small cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees F for one hour. Stir twice to make sure undersides are also toasted.
Pour chocolate chips in a bowl, and put HOT chickpeas straight from the oven on top of the chocolate chips, stirring to melt them. If you need to, microwave the bowl in increments of 20 seconds until chocolate is melted enough to stir and coat the chickpeas.
- Replace the parchment in the cookie sheet and dollop 1 tbsp of mixture in rows, with 1 inch separation. Chill in refrigerator for one hour.
- They are ready to eat! Store in frig or room temperature, it’s up to you.
Recipe by Dee at GreenSmoothieGourmet.com - Thanks for visiting!