Chickpea chocolate clusters are only two ingredients, no bake, and are a high protein candy with variation potential - swap out chickpeas for other nuts or even berries.
This chickpea recipe as chocolate clusters is so easy, no bake, only two ingredients and deliciously energizing. Just roast the chickpeas, toss, dollop and chill. If this simple recipe process appeals to you, you might like my chocolate covered cranberries and my blueberry cashew clusters.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
Chickpeas, also called garbanzo beans, have been enjoying a reputation in the last few years as being a "superfood".
This popular legume, or bean, is low in fat and sodium, high in protein, fiber, iron, antioxidants. Also high in vitamin K, folate, phosphorus, zinc, choline, and selenium - all of which are often short in traditional diets.
So wrapping them in magnesium-and-antioxidant rich dark chocolate seems like the perfect way to a wholesome easy healthy snack!
The end result is rich dark chocolate and salty interior - no manufactured candy bar can come close in taste or nutrition to this homemade treat.
Chickpeas. I recommend using unsalted, canned, organic. Also called garbanzo beans.
Chocolate chips. Use a quality chocolate chips, such as Enjoylife or Ghiradelli and at least 60% cacao.
Steps to Make
Step 1: Rinse chickpeas and spread them on a foil or parchment-lined quarter-sized cookie sheet.
Step 2: Bake for 30 minutes and toss to get all sides toasty.
Step 3: Work fast. Pour chocolate chips in a bowl, and pour HOT chickpeas straight from the oven on top of the chocolate chips, stirring to melt them.
Step 4: Replace the parchment in the cookie sheet and dollop 1 tablespoon of chickpea chocolate mixture in rows, with 1 inch separation.
Step 5: Chill in refrigerator for one hour. They are ready to eat! Store in the refrigerator.
Chickpeas. So many swaps for the chickpeas, including almonds, cashews, pecans, raisins, walnuts.
How do you make chickpeas from scratch?
If you don't want to use canned, buy a bag of dried chickpeas.
Fill a frying pan with about 2 inches of water.
Pour in the rinsed beans and bring to a boil, and boil for about 1 minute.
Rinse the beans, and put them in a bowl, submerged in clean water. Let them soak for one hour.
Rinse, and now you have cooked beans for this recipe or others.
Other Cluster Recipes
Interested in sharing on pinterest? Use this image...
Don’t miss a thing, subscribe here to get recipes delivered to your inbox!
Chickpea Chocolate Clusters
- 1 can (15oz/425gms) chickpeas (I use organic bpa-free brands, including WholeFoods 365)
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Rinse chickpeas and spread them on a foil or parchment-lined quarter-sized cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes. Stir once to make sure undersides are also toasted.
- Pour chocolate chips in a bowl, and pour HOT chickpeas straight from the oven on top of the chocolate chips, stirring to melt them.If you need to, microwave the bowl in increments of 20 seconds until chocolate is melted enough to stir and coat the chickpeas.
- Replace the parchment in the cookie sheet and dollop 1 tablespoon of mixture in rows, with 1 inch separation. Chill in refrigerator for one hour.
- They are ready to eat! Store in frig or room temperature, it’s up to you.