Chocolate covered chickpeas are only 2 ingredients, no bake, and easy to make with roasted chickpeas and melted dark chocolate. This protein-rich snack has a Twix or KitKat crunch, is easy to make ahead, and makes the perfect lunchbox treat or afternoon energy booster.
These chocolate covered chickpeas are so easy to mix up in a bowl. A no bake snack made with only chickpeas and chocolate chips. These chocolate chickpeas are deliciously energizing. Just roast canned chickpeas, toss them in melted chocolate, spoon a row of clusters and chill. If this simple snack appeals to you, you might like my chocolate covered strawberries, chocolate covered cranberries and my chocolate covered blueberries.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
A quick & easy recipe. These chocolate coated chickpeas are an easy 2-ingredient, no bake recipe. Just roast canned chickpeas, also called garbanzo beans, toss in melted chocolate chips, and chill.
Perfect for all diets. This recipe is gluten free, nut free, as well as dairy free and vegan if you use a dairy free chocolate like Enjoylife.
Chickpeas. I recommend using canned chickpeas that are unsalted and organic. You cannot use raw chickpeas.
Chocolate chips. Use quality chocolate chips, such as Enjoylife or Ghiradelli and at least 60% cacao.
See the recipe card at the bottom for full information on ingredients and quantities.
Chickpeas. You can swap the chickpeas with almonds, cashews, pecans, raisins, or walnuts.
Step by Step Instructions
For more detail, visit the complete and printable recipe at the bottom of this post, but here are general steps.
Preparations: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. Open a can of chickpeas (15oz/425gms). Pour off the liquid (or save it for baking, it's aquafaba) and rinse chickpeas in cold water.
Step 1: Spread the chickpeas on the lined pan. Pat them with a paper towel. Bake for 45 minutes. Shake the pan once halfway through to roast all sides. Crush one to see if it crumbles; or return to bake longer.
Step 2: Add chocolate chips to a bowl. Once the chickpeas are roasted, pour HOT chickpeas straight from the oven on top of the chocolate chips.
Step 3: Stir the hot chickpeas and chocolate chips together, stirring until the chips are all melted and the chickpeas are all coated.
Step 4: Replace the parchment paper in the baking sheet and dollop 1 tablespoon of chickpea chocolate mixture in rows, with 1 inch separation.
Step 5: Chill the clusters uncovered in the refrigerator for a crispy texture, at least 15 minutes but possibly 30 minutes.
Use canned chickpeas, don't use raw chickpeas or home-cooked ones because raw will be too hard, and home cooked will be too soft.
Be sure the chickpeas are roasted by taking out one and crushing it with a spoon. If it cracks into crumbs and is not rubbery, it's done. If it's rubbery, roast the pan 5-10 more minutes.
If the chocolate chips and chickpeas don't melt thoroughly, add the bowl uncovered into the microwave and microwave at 30 second intervals, stirring in between until all are melted.
1. Add 2 tablespoon of peanut butter to the mixture to add a peanut butter flavor and up the protein.
2. Mix in seeds, crushed nuts or sprinkle with salt or more crushed nuts
3. Use milk chocolate chips if you prefer, instead of dark chocolate chips.
Store them up to 2 weeks in a sealed container in the refrigerator. You can freeze them, but the chickpea texture may soften once thawed.
Not at all. Once the chickpeas are toasted through, they become like a cookie, and coating them in chocolate gives them a KitKat vibe.
Yes, you can microwave the chocolate chips in the microwave at 1 minute intervals, stirring in between until all are melted then fold in the hot roasted chickpeas.
Yes, you can roast them for 25 minutes at 400 degrees F.
Yes, put rinsed chickpeas in the air fryer, one bean layer, and cook for 20 minutes at 390 F. Stir three times.
Other Chocolate Snack Recipes
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the 📝 comments below. Thanks for visiting!
Chocolate Covered Chickpeas
- 1 can (15oz/425gms) chickpeas (I use organic bpa-free brands, including WholeFoods 365)
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- Open a can of chickpeas (15oz/425gms) . Pour off the liquid and rinse chickpeas in cold water. Spread them on the lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes. Shake the pan once to make sure undersides are also toasted. Crush one chickpea to see if it crumbles - if it is rubbery, return pan to oven for 5-10 more minutes.
- Pour chocolate chips in a bowl, and pour HOT chickpeas straight from the oven on top of the chocolate chips, stirring to melt them.If you need to, microwave the bowl in increments of 20 seconds until chocolate is melted enough to stir and coat the chickpeas.1 can (15oz/425gms) chickpeas, 1 cup chocolate chips
- Replace the parchment in the cookie sheet and dollop 1 tablespoon of mixture in rows, with 1 inch separation. Chill in refrigerator for one hour.
- They are ready to eat! Store in frig or room temperature, it’s up to you.