How to make chocolate covered strawberries with 2 ingredients in 5 minutes. All you need are fresh strawberries, chocolate chips and a microwave to make these fancy bite-sized dessert for the holidays.
Chocolate covered strawberries are inexpensive yet festive and fancy and perfect for any occasion. They look fancy but they are so easy, and require minutes to make. Plus you can customize them in many different ways. There is no need for fancy candy tools or tempering, just choose a quality chocolate chip. For shine, add olive oil or coconut oil. Like my chocolate covered blueberries and my chocolate covered cranberries, this elegant dessert can be ready in 20 minutes.
Why You'll Love These
Quick and easy bite-size dessert. Similar recipes call for melting the chocolate on stovetop and even tempering chocolate with a candy thermometer. But there is a far simpler method requiring just fresh strawberries and chocolate chips. The only requirement is to use a good quality chocolate chip - don't use house brands - and some special prep for the strawberries.
Perfect for all diets. Use a dairy free chocolate chip such as Enjoylife to make these chocolate dipped strawberries dairy free and vegan.
Strawberries. Choose fresh strawberries. Look for large ones, with a consistent shape. Do not use frozen, and you'll need fresh strawberries with the green leafy stem intact.
Chocolate. Use quality chocolate chips such as by Ghiradelli or Enjoylife. I use mini chips because they melt faster but regular size is fine. If the chocolate melts thick, add olive oil or coconut oil to thin it.
See the recipe card at the bottom for full information on ingredients and quantities.
Step by Step Instructions
For more detail, visit the complete and printable recipe at the bottom of this post, but here are general steps.
Step 1: Prepare strawberries. Rinse off strawberries, keep the ones with a pretty green leaves. Pat dry with a paper towel. Place on a baking sheet covered with foil, wax paper or parchment paper and allow to air dry at room temperature for half an hour or until completely dry.
Step 2: Melt chocolate. Put chocolate chips in a heat-safe bowl. Microwave the chocolate chips 60 seconds, and stir until melted. If necessary, microwave another 15 seconds.
Step 3: Test chocolate. Use a spoon to test liquidity of the chocolate - lift the spoon out of the chocolate and watch it drip. If it seems too thick, stir in 2 tablespoon of either olive oil or coconut oil.
Step 4: Dip the berries. Grab the green leaves to dip the strawberries into the melted chocolate, submerging so you leave a bit of red visible. Twist until all sides are covered. Hold the berry up and allow excess chocolate to drip off. Transfer to a paper-lined baking sheet.
Step 5: Set the berries. If you are coating the chocolate with sprinkles, do so now. Then, set the pan into the refrigerator to allow the chocolate to set, about 5 minutes or longer depending on your chocolate brand.
Use a quality chocolate chip. Quality brands have only 3 or so ingredients including cacao butter. You don't want to see a long list of weird ingredients in your chocolate. The quality brands melt smoothly and solidify with a shine - no need for tempering.
If you don't want to use a microwave to melt the chocolate, set the chocolate chips in a heat-proof bowl or cup, and sit it in a pot of boiling water. Don't let water touch the chocolate. Stir until melted.
Decorate chocolate coated strawberries with sprinkles, crushed nuts or cookies while the chocolate coating is wet on the strawberries. To draw frosting zigzags, wait for the chocolate coating to set, then draw on the line using a frosting bag and writing tip.
Adding melted coconut oil instead of olive oil will help make the chocolate shell shinier.
Use at least 60% cacao for a deep chocolate flavor and dark color. Use quality chocolate chips and melt them in a microwave or in a double boiler.
Strawberries should be fresh, rinsed and dried completely and at room temperature before they are dipped in melted chocolate.
Enjoy the strawberries within 24 hours. Keep them on the baking sheet in the refrigerator between servings. They can be set out on a table for a few hours at room temperature if necessary. Do not freeze as the strawberries will implode and the moisture will ruin the chocolate coating.
Chocolate dipped strawberries last about 24 hours at both room temperature and refrigerated. After that, the strawberry becomes soggy.
More Holiday Table Treats
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the 📝 comments below. Thanks for visiting!
Chocolate Covered Strawberries (microwave)
- baking sheet
- heat safe container I used a glass pyrex measuring cup
- 24 fresh strawberries with green leaves a 16 ounce container typically holds this many
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or coconut oil to thin melted chocolate
- Prepare strawberries. Rinse off strawberries, keep the ones with a pretty green leaves. Pat dry with a paper towel. Place on a baking sheet covered with foil, wax paper or parchment paper and allow to air dry at room temperature for half an hour or until completely dry.24 fresh strawberries with green leaves
- Melt chocolate. Put chocolate chips in a heat-safe bowl. Microwave the chocolate chips 60 seconds, and stir until melted. If necessary, microwave another 15 seconds.1 cup chocolate chips
- Test chocolate. Use a spoon to test liquidity of the chocolate - lift the spoon out of the chocolate and watch it drip. If it seems too thick, stir in 1 tablespoon of either olive oil or coconut oil.1 tablespoon olive oil or coconut oil
- Dip the berries. Dip the strawberries into the melted chocolate by holding on to the leafy stem, submerging so you leave a bit of red visible. Twist until all sides are covered. Hold the berry up and allow excess chocolate to drip off. Transfer to a paper-lined baking sheet.
- Set the berries. Set the pan into the refrigerator to allow the chocolate to set, about 5 minutes or longer depending on your chocolate brand.
- Store refrigerated, enjoy within 24 hours.