This 2-ingredient chocolate frosting made with sweet potatoes contains no refined sugar, offering a healthy boost of fiber and vitamin A. The sweet potato flavor is undetectable to the taste buds.
This 2-ingredient sweet potato frosting is easily made with canned sweet potato puree and melted chocolate chips. The texture is soft, and the flavor is a rich chocolate, depending on the chocolate chips you choose. And you can't taste the potato! It's sweet enough thanks to the chocolate chips and the sweetness from sweet potato puree.
Depending on the chocolate chip brand you choose, the recipe is gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan and allergen-free.
Table of Contents
Why Add Sweet Potato to Frosting?
Adding sweet potato to frosting is the perfect idea because the starchy sweet potato provides the perfect balance of fiber and sweet flavor, while still imparting a strong nutritional contribution.
This frosting is so simple to make. All you need is:
sweet potato puree - Use organic canned sweet potato puree that only has sweet potato in the ingredients. Or you can bake sweet potatoes fresh and puree instead.
chocolate chips - Use a chocolate chip that has between 60% and 70% cocoa solids. This will ensure the correct level of sweet flavor.
How to Make
1. Measure sweet potato puree. Either bake the sweet potato or open the can of puree and measure it out.
2. Melt the chocolate chips. Add them to a microwave-safe cup, and microwave for 60 seconds. Stir until lumps are melted and microwave again for 15 seconds if necessary to melt all lumps.
3. Warm the sweet potato puree in the microwave for 30 seconds.
4. Add the pureed sweet potato to the melted chocolate and stir until you have a thick creamy frosting.
5. Frost or chill. Frost cakes or bars, or dip cookies and cupcakes. To pipe the frosting, you'll need to add cornstarch and chill.
1. How much frosting does this recipe make? This batch makes about 1 cup of frosting which is enough to frost about 6 cupcakes.
2.To use canned puree. It's fast and easy to use a quality canned sweet potato puree. Be sure it is an organic brand with only sweet potato in the ingredient list.
3.To use baked potatoes. You can use baked sweet potatoes. Here's two ways to bake them.
First way. Start by preheating the oven to 400ºF. Wash and dry the outside of the sweet potato and puncture the skin three times so it doesn't explode. Set it on a grease pan and bake for 60 minutes. If using a thermometer, cook until the center temperature is 200 F.
Second way. Wash the potato, puncture it, and wrap it in a damp paper towel and microwave it for 5 minutes. Instantly wrap it in foil and let it sit for 5 minutes.
Either way, when they cool enough to handle, scoop out potato, add it to a blender with a few tablespoons of milk or water and blend it into a smooth puree.
4.You can use a food processor or even a cake mixer to stir the frosting together, but you'll get a smoother shinier texture if you use a blender.
5.Storage. This sweet potato frosting can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week in a sealed container, or frozen for three months.
Sweet Potato Puree. You can use sweet potato puree from a can or use pumpkin puree from a can. Choose an organic brand, and be sure the ingredients are only pumpkin.
Corn starch. If you want to make the frosting pipable, you need to add corn starch. Arrowroot or guar gum can also be used instead. Or you can stir in 2 tablespoons of liquid coconut oil and chill the frosting for longer.
How Sweet Potato Frosting Tastes
It tastes deeply chocolatey, although the chocolate flavor heavily depends on the chocolate chips you choose. The flavor of sweet potato is not evident, although you can taste-test after you blend it and add maple syrup or date paste to your taste.
Can You Pipe Sweet Potato Frosting
Yes, but only if you add cornstarch to stiffen it. You can also add coconut oil instead, but than you'd have to chill the frosting overnight in the refrigerator to be able to pipe it in the morning.
What Frosting Tastes Less Sweet?
Sweet potato frosting is not a sweet as classic frostings made with powdered sugar. That's because the sweet flavor is coming from the chocolate chips and the sweet potato.
How to Use It
1. Use a spatula to spread it on cakes or bars.
2. Make it pipable to pipe onto cakes and cupcakes.
3. Dip cookies or cupcakes directly into the fresh frosting to coat.
4. Use the frosting as a filling for chocolates made from molds. Visit my holiday chocolate box post and see how I used sweet potato frosting as a filling for chocolates.
5.Use it as a drizzle on ice cream
6.Make a simple fudge - just pour it in a pan, and freeze.
Other Frosting Recipes
Vegan Royal Icing for Sugar Cooking Decorating
Healthy Fudge Frosting
Cookie Dough Frosting
Hey, a quick note to say I offer two free email courses - smoothie challenge or a chocolate treats course. Sign up below if you are interested in both or either.
If you try my recipes, please leave a comment and rating below and tag me on your Instagram post with @greensmoothiegourmet so I can see and share your remakes!!
I invite you to keep up with me on:
Instagram | TikTok | Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter
Subscribe HERE to get recipes delivered to your inbox!
Chocolate Sweet Potato Frosting
Sweet Potato Frosting
- 1 cup sweet potato puree
- 1 cup chocolate chips
Make Sweet Potato Frosting
- Add 1 cup of chocolate chips to a pyrex measuring cup and microwave for 1 minutes.1 cup chocolate chips
- Add 1 cup of sweet potato puree from a can to a bowl, and microwave for 30 seconds.1 cup sweet potato puree
- Stir the melted chocolate chips until the melted chocolate is smooth. Spoon it into the warm sweet potato puree, and stir until smooth. Add to a blender and blend until extremely smooth if you want to.
- It is ready to spread on a cake or cupcakes. Frost with a knife right away.
- If you want to pipe it, add 2 tablespoon of corn starch or arrowroot and stir again until combined. Then chill for 30 minutes or more to help stiffen the frosting.
- Pour sweet potato frosting into an airtight container and store up to a week in the refrigerator. It can also be frozen for up to 3 months.
Leave a Reply