Chocolate dipped cream filled cupcakes with a chocolate or vanilla filling center and snappy chocolate coating just like a Dairy Queen cupcake. My cupcake creation here is a lot more work than it is, and perfect for those looking for dairy free, gluten-free and vegan cupcakes.
Chocolate Dipped Cream Filled Cupcakes
These chocolate filled cupcakes conjure memories of Hostess Chocolate Cream Filled Cupcakes, and although I remember eating those fondly, I prefer healthier snacks now. My dairy free cupcake sponge recipe is made with sweet potato puree, and lots of other healthy ingredients.
And I offer two frosting recipes here, chocolate and vanilla, but only used the vanilla one here. It is a creamy vegan cream cheese frosting and is so tangy.
And to make my cupcakes extra special, I dipped them in a magic shell. Not a store-bought magic shell, but a healthier homemade version. Here is my healthy magic shell dedicated post, however I also included my base recipe below. And I'm happy to tell you how to use it on these beauties.
First, before we dive in, I'd like to invite you to sign up for my free chocolate course. Five lessons hit your inbox with detail on how to create your own simple healthy chocolate desserts.
Okay, so back to this recipe...
The most complicated part is keeping the steps straight.
How to Make Filled Cupcakes Dipped And Coated
Start with making a good sturdy cupcake. The dairy free chocolate cupcake recipe I have here is excellent for filling. It doesn't fall apart and it tastes like devil's food cake. Here are the steps to make this cake as a layer cake. It works perfectly as cupcakes.
Next you'll need a good frosting. I provide two frosting recipes here, a vanilla and a chocolate. Although I only used the vanilla one in this cupcake.
Next, you'll need to take that frosting that you can pipe into a circular tower on top of the cupcake.
You'd freeze that, and dip into a magic shell.
The Best Piping Tip for Dipped Filled Cupcakes
I use the Wilton 1A large round tip for this recipe. The round tip allows me to pipe a circular mountain on top suitable for dipping.
If you are going to use a piping tip, you'll also need frosting bags. You can buy them at any grocery store or even online.
How to Make A Homemade Magic Shell
This version is so easy, just melt together quality chocolate chips and coconut oil. Let the melted chocolate sit to cool about 15 minutes. Freeze the cupcakes after you frost them, and then dip them quickly into the melted chocolate. The frozen frosting on the cupcakes helps the shell freeze quickly.
How to Customize Filled Cupcakes
There are so many ways to customize filled cupcakes. You can make different frostings, even mix both chocolate and vanilla for a marble filling effect. And the magic shell can be other flavors. Here I have other magic shell recipes, including peanut butter magic shell and vanilla magic shell.
How to Store Filled Cupcakes
Cupcakes that are filled and coated last at least one day at room temperature. After that I would refrigerate them. They don't dry out; mine lasted 4 days refrigerated before the cake began to dry.
Are you on pinterest? Perhaps share this image..
Don't miss a thing, subscribe here to get recipes delivered to your inbox!
If you try my recipes, please leave a comment and rating below and tag me on your Instagram post with @greensmoothiegourmet so I can see and share your remakes!!
Chocolate Coated Cream Filled Cupcakes
Devil's Food Cupcakes
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour or a GF mix like Bob's Red Mill's 1 to 1 baking flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder or cacao powder
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
- ⅓ cup sweet potato puree Or pumpkin puree or apple sauce
- 3 tbsp aquafaba the liquid from a can of chickpeas (Or apple sauce, or a flaxseed egg - mix 1 tbsp flaxseed in 3 tbsp water)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Vanilla Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting
- ¼ cup vegan butter
- ¼ cup vegan cream cheese I use Whole Food's 365 brand
- 2 cups organic powdered sugar
2. 2-Ingredient Chocolate Ganache
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, avocado oil, olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- Measure out aquafaba OR mix up flax egg by adding 1 tbsp flaxseed to 3 tbsp of water, stir and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Line a cupcake pan with 12 liners.
- Sift together the flour and cocoa.
- Activate your milk by adding the vinegar to it and stirring so it curdles. This creates a mixture that activates the baking soda and creates a lovely moist crumb.
- To the large mixing bowl, add the flour/cocoa mixture, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Use a hand mixer or just a spoon or whisk to combine these dry ingredients.
- Add in the curdled milk, veggie puree, flax egg (or aquafaba) and vanilla.
- Mix with a hand-mixer or hand whisk until combined, but don't overmix.
- Pour the batter evenly into cupcake liners. Fill each ¾ of the way for a slight dome.
- Bake for 22 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before frosting.
Make Chocolate Frosting
- Add the chocolate chips to a pyrex measuring cup.
- Warm the coconut milk in the microwave for 60 seconds. Pour the milk over the chocolate chips and stir until all are melted. If need be, microwave the mixture again for 30 seconds. Stir in the vanilla and salt.
Make Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting
- Blend ingredients together until creamy.
Frost Cupcakes to Coat
- Frost cupcakes using a large round tip (Wilton 1A). Spiral it up into a mountain. Then freeze the cupcakes about 30 minutes to an hour to allow the frosting to solidify so it doesn't fall off when you dip it into the coating shell.
Make and Apply Chocolate Magic Shell
- Melt the chips in a glass pyrex measuring cup at 60 seconds in the microwave. Add in the oil and stir until all is melted. Let the melted chocolate sit about 20 minutes to cool but not enough to solidify.
- Dip each frozen cupcake and allow coating to set.
Dee Dine is founder of Green Smoothie Gourmet, a plant based recipe blog, and author of the recent cookbook, Crazy Healthy with 4 Ingredients and another immunity-boosting smoothie shot book, 4-Ingredient Smoothies + Juices , due out in January 2021. On this blog you'll find incredibly easy recipes with hidden veggies for anyone wanting to eat healthier, regardless of diet. Dee has graduate degrees in sciences and journalism, editor at The Feedfeed and a nutritional expert at WikiHow. More about Dee Dine here.