Chocolate dipped cream filled cupcakes (hi top cupcakes) with a chocolate or vanilla filling center and snappy chocolate coating just like a Dairy Queen cupcake. My cupcake is dairy free, gluten-free and vegan.
These chocolate filled cupcakes resemble the famed Hi Top cupcakes, and anything cream-filled conjures memories of Hostess chocolate cream-filled cupcakes for which I have a homemade recipe.
These cupcakes are best of two worlds, a cream white center with a delicious homemade magic shell on top.
Why You'll Love These Cupcakes
Look Fancy, But Easy to Make. Just back the delicious fluffy cupcakes, frost and freeze. That's the trick to easy dipping.
A Healthy Dip. The magic shell is not the store-bought additive-filled product. Instead, it is dark chocolate mixed with healthy coconut oil. The MCTs in coconut oil are healthy and beneficial fats.
The most complicated part of chocolate dipped cupcakes is keeping the steps straight.
How to Make Chocolate Dipped Cupcakes Dipped
Start with making a good sturdy cupcake. The dairy free chocolate cupcake recipe I have here is excellent for filling. It doesn't fall apart and it tastes like devil's food cake. Here are the steps to make this cake as a layer cake. It works perfectly as cupcakes.
Next you'll need a good frosting. I provide two frosting recipes here, a vanilla and a chocolate. Although I only used the vanilla one in this cupcake.
Next, you'll need to take that frosting that you can pipe into a circular tower on top of the cupcake.
You'd freeze that, and dip into a magic shell.
The Best Piping Tip for Chocolate Dipped Cupcakes
I use the Wilton 1A large round tip for this recipe. The round tip allows me to pipe a circular mountain on top suitable for dipping.
If you are going to use a piping tip, you'll also need frosting bags. You can buy them at any grocery store or even online.
How to Make A Homemade Magic Shell
This version is so easy, just melt together quality chocolate chips and coconut oil. Let the melted chocolate sit to cool about 15 minutes. Freeze the cupcakes after you frost them, and then dip them quickly into the melted chocolate. The frozen frosting on the cupcakes helps the shell freeze quickly.
How to Customize Filled Cupcakes
There are so many ways to customize filled cupcakes. You can make different frostings, even mix both chocolate and vanilla for a marble filling effect. And the magic shell can be other flavors. Here I have other magic shell recipes, including peanut butter magic shell and vanilla magic shell.
How to Store
Cupcakes that are filled and coated last at least one day at room temperature. After that I would refrigerate them. They don't dry out; mine lasted 4 days refrigerated before the cake began to dry.
Other Cupcake Recipes
Are you on pinterest? Perhaps share this image..
Don't miss a thing, subscribe here to get recipes delivered to your inbox!
If you try my recipes, please leave a comment and rating below and tag me on your Instagram post with @greensmoothiegourmet so I can see and share your remakes!!
Chocolate Dipped Cupcakes
Devil's Food Cupcakes
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour or a GF mix like Bob's Red Mill's 1 to 1 baking flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder or cacao powder
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
- ⅓ cup sweet potato puree Or pumpkin puree or apple sauce
- 3 tablespoon aquafaba the liquid from a can of chickpeas (Or apple sauce, or a flaxseed egg - mix 1 tablespoon flaxseed in 3 tablespoon water)
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Vanilla Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting
- ¼ cup vegan butter
- ¼ cup vegan cream cheese I use Whole Food's 365 brand
- 2 cups organic powdered sugar
2. 2-Ingredient Chocolate Ganache
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil, avocado oil, olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- Measure out aquafaba OR mix up flax egg by adding 1 tablespoon flaxseed to 3 tablespoon of water, stir and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Line a cupcake pan with 12 liners.
- Sift together the flour and cocoa.
- Activate your milk by adding the vinegar to it and stirring so it curdles. This creates a mixture that activates the baking soda and creates a lovely moist crumb.
- To the large mixing bowl, add the flour/cocoa mixture, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Use a hand mixer or just a spoon or whisk to combine these dry ingredients.
- Add in the curdled milk, veggie puree, flax egg (or aquafaba) and vanilla.
- Mix with a hand-mixer or hand whisk until combined, but don't overmix.
- Pour the batter evenly into cupcake liners. Fill each ¾ of the way for a slight dome.
- Bake for 22 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before frosting.
Make Chocolate Frosting
- Add the chocolate chips to a pyrex measuring cup.
- Warm the coconut milk in the microwave for 60 seconds. Pour the milk over the chocolate chips and stir until all are melted. If need be, microwave the mixture again for 30 seconds. Stir in the vanilla and salt.
Make Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting
- Blend ingredients together until creamy.
Frost Cupcakes to Coat
- Frost cupcakes using a large round tip (Wilton 1A). Spiral it up into a mountain. Then freeze the cupcakes about 30 minutes to an hour to allow the frosting to solidify so it doesn't fall off when you dip it into the coating shell.
Make and Apply Chocolate Magic Shell
- Melt the chips in a glass pyrex measuring cup at 60 seconds in the microwave. Add in the oil and stir until all is melted. Let the melted chocolate sit about 20 minutes to cool but not enough to solidify.
- Dip each frozen cupcake and allow coating to set.