Fresh vegan lemon bars are dairy-free, vegan, and both tangy and creamy, with a protein-rich shortbread crust. The rich filling is silky and also protein rich thanks to white beans!
These fresh vegan lemon bars are easy to make and full of protein, the perfect nutritious "dessert for breakfast". The crust is a plant-based buttery shortbread, the the creamy top is a tangy citrus delight. And unlike many vegan lemon bar recipes, this one does not use tofu.
Can you guess the protein source? It’s white beans! Not a lot, but enough to add protein and essential filling nutrients so this dessert is healthier.
The plant-based nutrition panel of both the crust and filling are full of protein, fiber, magnesium, iron, potassium, and more!
The lemon cheesecake filling is a healthy, plant-based lemon curd made with coconut milk and corn starch as well as lemon of course. A bit of a time-issue with the stirring on the stove for 15 minutes, but well worth it for the fresh, creamy texture.
And the immunity power of all that lemon is awesome, and we have have anti-oxidants in the turmeric powder.
White beans help with structure and of course add protein, essential vitamins and minerals and no bean flavor!
Meanwhile, the crust has protein almond flour and coconut flour, or even cassava if you have it. As well as Baobab, a sneaky citrus super food that is an awesome immunity booster.
Why Add Baobab?
What is baobab? It is a super food, made from the root of the Baobab tree found in Africa.
It is a great addition to recipes because it is incredibly high in vitamin C and it actually has a strong citrus-flavor even though it is a root, not a fruit. Hey, that rhymes, haha.
Moving on...baobab also has similar inflammation-fighting capabilities to turmeric.
How to Store
Store these bars lightly covered in the refrigerator for 3 days. They don’t freeze well, they dry out.
If you enjoy these lemon cheesecake bars, here are two other lemon dessert recipes similarly nutritious and easy to make:
Subscribe HERE to get recipes delivered to your inbox!
Vegan Lemon Bars
makes 16 (2-inch) square slices
- ⅓ cup lemon juice + zest (juice two lemons, and also zest them)
- ¾ cup coconut cream Refrigerate a can of full fat coconut milk and scoop of the solid cream
- ¼ cup white beans (navy beans are best, but any light-colored bean is fine)
- 2 tablespoon arrowroot or cornstarch
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon lemon zest or chopped lemon peel
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon turmeric for color
- Set jar of coconut oil in a pot of hot water to melt it.
- Line an 8-inch by 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper.
- Preheat oven 350 F
- Blend or process ingredients for the crust, press into the pan. Put in the freezer while you make the filling.1 cup almond flour, 1 cup rolled oats, ¼ cup coconut oil, 2 tablespoon maple syrup, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 pinch salt
Make Lemon Cheesecake
- In a blender or food processor, add all other ingredients. Process until smooth.⅓ cup lemon juice + zest, ¾ cup coconut cream, ¼ cup white beans, 2 tablespoon arrowroot, ½ cup lemon juice, 2 tablespoon lemon zest or chopped lemon peel, 2 tablespoon maple syrup, ¼ teaspoon salt, ⅛ teaspoon turmeric
- Pour filling onto crust and put the pan back in the freezer. Freeze overnight.
- Dust with confection sugar, garnish with lemon triangles, lemon rind curls. Cut into 16 slices.
- Store refrigerated in a sealed container. They will last 3-4 days and then begin to dry out. They do not freeze well.