This chocolate beet smoothie is made with wholesome ingredients, dairy-free, and may be a stunning pink but it tastes like a frothy rich chocolate milk shake.
Why You'll Love This Smoothie
This beet smoothie is like a rich chocolate dessert but also bursting with nutrition.
Also, I have to say it is such an interesting experience to be sipping on bright pink while your mouth registers deep chocolate. Plus the nutritional power in this smoothie soars, with antioxidants from both beets and chocolate, and tons of fiber so you feel full. Like all my smoothies, this beet smoothie recipe is dairy-free, vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, and plant-based. The flavor as is SO chocolatey. I can't get over it. I definitely did not want to share with my husband, but I did, reluctantly lol.
1. Milk - Almond, oat, cashew milk are all perfectly creamy.
2. Yogurt - This works as a thickener. Or use soaked or boiled cashews, or even milk frozen into ice cubes.
3. Beets - Use purchased frozen veggies or even raw. Peel them if using raw. You can roast them or boil them or use them raw. Don't use pickled beets from a can or jar.
4. Cocoa powder - This is to add chocolate flavor. You can use cacao powder for stronger nutrition, or unsweetened cocoa powder.
5. Brewed Coffee is optional to deepen the chocolate flavor.
6. Maple Syrup is the sweetener
7. Cinnamon adds a fun spicy flavor.
8. To thicken and chill further, I add ice cubes but you don't need these. Look at your texture and decide.
How to Make
Step 1: Prepare your beets. To use fresh beets in your smoothie, scrub off the dirt, chop off the greens and ends, and boil for about 20 minutes. Peel, and chop into dice. You can use uncooked, however, they will be harder to blend smoothly. Of course you can also use frozen beets as is.
Step 2: Blend up and taste-test and add more maple syrup if you need it to be sweeter.
Step 3: Drink within 24 hours, or pour into ice cube trays to freeze and then blend later.
How to Store Your Smoothie
This smoothie, like others, is full of nutrition for the first 24 hours. Refrigerate it in a sealed jar and drink within a day. If you want it to last longer, freeze it in ice cube trays, put 5-7 in a glass the night before to thaw, and re-blend the morning you are ready to drink your smoothie.
Additions & Tips
Add things like ½ cup of cauliflower or ½ of an avocado to increase creaminess and nutrition. It might impact the flavor a bit.
I added dairy-free yogurt and milk to increase protein and thicken the smoothie.
Leave off the coffee and cinnamon without much impact. I also added coffee to enhance the chocolate flavor - only 1 tablespoon so there isn't much caffeine. I added cinnamon to balance blood sugar and add a spicy flavor. And I added maple syrup to sweeten it a bit. I don't like things too sweet so be sure and taste-test my recipe and add more if you need it.
Finally, to thicken it up and give it a milkshake quality, add some ice cubes, or freeze the milk into ice cubes beforehand. You can also add things like ½ cup of cauliflower or ½ of an avocado to thicken as well as increase creaminess and nutrition. It might impact the flavor a bit.
Do Beets Stain Blenders?
And one thing I was worried about is whether a beet smoothie would stain my blender. I am here to report they do NOT stain blenders. Yay!
Are Beets Good for You?
Yes! Beets are low in calories, and high in folate, potassium, manganese and vitamin C. Potassium is great for muscles and the heart. And manganese is hard to find in food and is great for essential organs.
And beets are full of antioxidants, those immunity-booster powerhouses.
Finally, beets are high in fiber, so they help you feel full longer, a great situation for weight control.
Here are a few more questions about beets and beetroot smoothie that Google wants me to answer.
Do I have to Peel Beets before Blending?
Yes, please peel your raw beets or buy frozen beets which are already peeled for you. The reason you need to peel beets is that the skin absorbs the dirt flavor since they are root vegetables and you don't want the flavor of dirt in your smoothie.
Is a Beetroot Smoothie Good for Weight Loss?
Yes a beetroot smoothie is terrific for weight loss primarily because it is packed with nutrients that best support weight control including fiber, and essential minerals.
More Useful Smoothies
- Chocolate Smoothie
- Ultimate Green Smoothie
- Healthy Strawberry Smoothie
- Chocolate Beet Smoothie
- Meal Replacement Shake
- Weight Loss Smoothie
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie
- Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
I invite you to keep up with me on: Facebook | Pinterest | Instagram | Food Gawker | Twitter
Don't miss a thing, subscribe here to get recipes delivered to your inbox!
If you try my recipes, please leave a comment and rating below and tag me on your Instagram or Facebook post with @greensmoothiegourmet and #greensmoothiegourmet so I can see and share your remakes!!
Chocolate Beet Smoothie
- ½ cup milk frozen in ice cube trays ahead or add ½ cup of ice cubes but it can water down a smoothie
- ¾ cup yogurt
- ½ cup beets, chopped raw or cooked
- 1 tablespoon brewed coffee
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- pinch cinnamon
- pinch salt
- Blendtec Blender Use code GSGourmet20 for discount.
- If cooking beets, wash them, chop off greens and ends, and boil for 20 minutes. Peel and chop into chunks. If you are using them raw, wash them, chop off the greens and ends, and peel off the skin as you would peel a potato. Chop the raw beets into dice for a high speed blender; shred if using a regular blender.
- Put all ingredients in a blender - except for any ice - and blend until smooth and creamy. Taste-test for sweetness and add a touch more maple syrup if you need it sweeter. Add the ice if your texture needs a thickening.½ cup milk, ¾ cup yogurt, ½ cup beets, chopped, 1 tablespoon brewed coffee, 2 tablespoon cocoa powder, unsweetened, 1 teaspoon maple syrup, pinch cinnamon, pinch salt
Serving & Storage
- Best nutrition if you drink it right away, preferably the same day.
I have beet in powder form, could I use it instead of beets?
Yes! Use 1 teaspoon of beet powder for each beet.
Hey! i just tried this (my first drink with beets!) and love it!! I added a scant C. of mixed greens, a little water - no coffee - extra cinnamon and maple syrup. It's a thinner drink, but i really like it! Thanks for the inspiration!
Thanks for sharing Carol! So glad you enjoyed it!
Just wanted to let you know that I simply love this smoothie 😋
I swapped the yogurt with a vegan cashew butter and followed the rest.
Thanks so much for sharing 😊
So glad you love it! Your swaps sound awesome!
Can I substitute yogurt with something else ?
Sure! I added some options to the recipe. You could try 1/4 cup cashews (preferably boiled 5 minutes to soften), or freeze 1/2 cup of milk into ice cubes. You could even add 1/4 cup of milk and 1/2 cup of plain ice but then drink it right away so it doesn't get watery.